Driver Seat Movement

I have had my Edge since March and I am very pleased with it. I do have an issue with the driver seat as it seems to rock slightly front to back when accelerating or stopping. I spoke to the dealership about this and it is apparently quite common (they had 3 reports that one day alone for the Edge). They said that the engineers are Ford are working on a fix and that they should have one in the next 30 days. I was told that the seat was securely fastened, the torque on the bolts was sufficient and there was no safety concerns. I asked the dealer if they were going to call me when a "fix" was released from Ford and I was told that I would have to call them. My concern is obviously for safety - if the seat moves when accelerating and stopping, what will happen if there is a high impact collision?

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have had my Edge since March and I am very pleased with it. I do have an issue with the driver seat as it seems to rock slightly front to back when accelerating or stopping. I spoke to the dealership about this and it is apparently quite common (they had 3 reports that one day alone for the Edge). They said that the engineers are Ford are working on a fix and that they should have one in the next 30 days. I was told that the seat was securely fastened, the torque on the bolts was sufficient and there was no safety concerns. I asked the dealer if they were going to call me when a "fix" was released from Ford and I was told that I would have to call them. My concern is obviously for safety - if the seat moves when accelerating and stopping, what will happen if there is a high impact collision?

Has anyone else had this issue?

Not a safety issue at all. This has been a common issue on some Fords for over a decade. Why they still haven't fixed it is beyond me. But it's just a minor annoyance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a 2008 Edge and have the same issue. There is a fix that will tighten the seat, but my dealer said that this is built into the seat as a safety feature. lol

Hey...well this is officially my first post.

Just so happens that my Edge is at the dealer right now for this issue. What happens is when the seat moves to it's memorized position after inserting the key, it rocks back slightly when you accelerate and locks into place. I agree it's not a safety but it is anoying.

Dealer called and said it's fixed. They replaced the seat rails. Hope that helps.

-E

Mine is 08 Limited build 2/08 and has "the seat rock". The dealer recognized the problem, sent it to an upholstry shop to have the seat removed and track checked. Said nothing was wrong and it was normal. My 91 & 99 Explorers did this as well. I wanted it checked and documented before the warranty expired. A little disappointing for something so simple as this.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 years later...

I have this same issue, only to have it do it when I'm taking a right sharp turn and it moves side to side. I had it looked at and  the technician said it was "normal". Why hasn't National Highway traffic Safety Administration done a thing? I've called ford motor company and the dealership in my area, They say it's normal and not a concern for them. 

Document download link...TSB 22-2104 - Seat Pan Looseness, Lateral Movement, Or Clunk-Thump Noise On Turns.pdf

The above-linked Technical Service Bulletin 22-2104 applies to 2015-2022 Edge, 2016-2018 MKX, 2019-2022 Nautilus, and numerous other models.

New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) should cover the surprisingly simple repair procedure.

Relating to the fore-aft seat movement problem...

I've experienced this when the driver seat on both our 2012 & 2015 MKXs was adjusted entirely rearward upon seat track backstops. I've found that moving the seat slightly forward off the backstops eliminated the fore-aft movement problem.

Our MKXs did not exhibit any lateral movement, perhaps due to their being GEN 1 models, while the above-linked TSB applies only to GEN 2 Edge/MKX/Nautilus model years.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...