Google maps to Sync via BT phone announced

mleber

I tried the Send to Phone directions last week. It worked great!.

When I got in the car, Sync told me about it, dialed to get the info, downloaded it and set my Nav's destination. It integrated great with the Nav system but I think it will work with the Ford Sync directions as well.

I would guess that if you didn't have the SD Nav option that Sync would need to use your phone to download any changes during your trip.

I can see where this wold be a great help when planning a complicated trip with several waypoints. I haven't tested that part yet but hope to in the future.

Go to gogle maps, plan a trip and select SEND, CAR.

This requires you to have registered your mobile phone number with sync

It only sends your destination address to the Sync Traffic, Directions and Information cloud server. It does not send the google maps directions to your car. When you get in the car and choose sync services it asks you if you want to use the address sent as your destination. From then on it operates in the same way it would if you had just spoken an address in your car.

It only sends your destination address to the Sync Traffic, Directions and Information cloud server. It does not send the google maps directions to your car. When you get in the car and choose sync services it asks you if you want to use the address sent as your destination. From then on it operates in the same way it would if you had just spoken an address in your car.

Well that sucks

I can only hope that in the future, we can do complex routing via google

Edited by wilsons66604

I tried the Send to Phone directions last week. It worked great!.

When I got in the car, Sync told me about it, dialed to get the info, downloaded it and set my Nav's destination. It integrated great with the Nav system but I think it will work with the Ford Sync directions as well.

I would guess that if you didn't have the SD Nav option that Sync would need to use your phone to download any changes during your trip.

I can see where this wold be a great help when planning a complicated trip with several waypoints. I haven't tested that part yet but hope to in the future.

Go to gogle maps, plan a trip and select SEND, CAR.

This requires you to have registered your mobile phone number with sync

I was pleasantly surprised to see it integrate with the SD Nav.

Question:

How did you get a Google location sent to Sync TDI to set a destination in your Nav system. Mine won't, or I am not following the correct steps.

I asked Ford Sync support how to send a Google location to the Nav system. That can't happen; only to TDI.

Thanks.

Question:

How did you get a Google location sent to Sync TDI to set a destination in your Nav system. Mine won't, or I am not following the correct steps.

I asked Ford Sync support how to send a Google location to the Nav system. That can't happen; only to TDI.

Thanks.

first send the data (maps) to the phone via the internet. This will send the data to the main server so that when your car calls in it will download the location

note: your phone must be setup in the ford site to do the TDI

get in your car with your key and turn on engine or just the accessory power.

once your phone syncs with bluetooth, click on the "i" information icon in the center bottom of screen

on the left choose Sync Services.

select button to "Connect to Services"

the phone will dial an 888 number and almost immediately say, "google has sent you a location......" or something.

If you selected a business, ie CVS/Pharmacy in Anytown USA, it will speak the name and location to you.

then it asks if you want to download the location information,

You say YES

it downloads and send the information straight to your SD Nav screen.

ONLY 1 step left. Select the lower left button "Set as Dest"

begin driving......

good luck

first send the data (maps) to the phone via the internet. This will send the data to the main server so that when your car calls in it will download the location

once your phone syncs with bluetooth, click on the "i" information icon in the center bottom of screen

the phone will dial an 888 number and almost immediately say, "google has sent you a location......" or something.

If you selected a business, ie CVS/Pharmacy in Anytown USA, it will speak the name and location to you.

You say YES

begin driving......

good luck

Nice info. BUT can you please in detail tell us just what "data" to send to the phone? Is it copy and pasting the outlined directions or is it the URL address. Kind of lost here but would like to try it

Thank you in advance

Nice info. BUT can you please in detail tell us just what "data" to send to the phone? Is it copy and pasting the outlined directions or is it the URL address. Kind of lost here but would like to try it

Thank you in advance

Sure, If I understand correctly, you are asking how to use google maps, find a spot and then "send" it to your phone.

ok here we go.

1)open a browser to maps.google.com

2)in the search maps box, type in a store name with town and state or a complete street address (lets use 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, washington dc)

you should get this pic 1 below

post-10023-018020900 1286588126_thumb.jpg

3) Now click on the A bubble teardrop on the map OR on the left pane OR the address itself and you will get a POPUP bubble with information.

you should get this pic 2 below

post-10023-096154500 1286588289_thumb.jpg

4) Now click on more IN THE BUBBLE

you should get his pic 3 below

post-10023-033098500 1286588445_thumb.jpg

5) Now click on SEND and you get below

post-10023-061486100 1286588453_thumb.jpg

6) Now click on CAR, you will see the picture below.

post-10023-040692100 1286588653_thumb.jpg

7) Enter your car type (Hint: Ford), type in your area code and phone number to your cell phone that is registered for services at syncmyride.com

8) Hit send and you are done.

Now take phone to car and see previous post to continue.

Sure, If I understand correctly, you are asking how to use google maps, find a spot and then "send" it to your phone.

ok here we go.

1)open a browser to maps.google.com

2)in the search maps box, type in a store name with town and state or a complete street address (lets use 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, washington dc)

you should get this pic 1 below

post-10023-018020900 1286588126_thumb.jpg

3) Now click on the A bubble teardrop on the map OR on the left pane OR the address itself and you will get a POPUP bubble with information.

you should get this pic 2 below

post-10023-096154500 1286588289_thumb.jpg

4) Now click on more IN THE BUBBLE

you should get his pic 3 below

post-10023-033098500 1286588445_thumb.jpg

5) Now click on SEND and you get below

post-10023-061486100 1286588453_thumb.jpg

6) Now click on CAR, you will see the picture below.

post-10023-040692100 1286588653_thumb.jpg

7) Enter your car type (Hint: Ford), type in your area code and phone number to your cell phone that is registered for services at syncmyride.com

8) Hit send and you are done.

Now take phone to car and see previous post to continue.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Nice job!

You say YES

begin driving......

good luck

Thanks.

I had all that working when I did not have a valid Nav SD card. I was able to successfully send a Google Map location to TDI and get directions. I had not tried it again since I got the replacement SD card.

This morning I tried, but when the location was downloading, the call kept failing - I retried a couple times. That's the first time that's happened. I found that if the dowload fails, then you do something else, the location is pretty much lost and it doesn't prompt you again if you want to dowload it. Kinda sucks, 'cause now you've lost your sent-to-car location.

So, this afternoon, I tried again, got a successful location download and sure enough, it marked the spot on the Nav system map where I could then Set as Destination. Had I tried this, I would have seen how it works and discovered this myself. I was hoping there was a way to bypass Sync Services for this feature, but I see now how the Sync integrates with my phone the Nav system.

mleber, thanks again for going through the details. I'm sure others will benefit.