MPG update

mleber

Couldn't find the old forum that was about the MPG, so I started a new one.

I have the Sport and am at 1100 miles total. Today I travel 98 miles round trip on FLAT highway the whole time. My average mpg was tripped to 0 and when I got up to my destination it read 19.5 mpg average. When I got back home (reverse of trip up) it was NOT reset to 0 and the final MPG read 20.1 mpg. I drove 70-75 mph the whole time up and down.

This shows a slight improvement to my old stats of 18.x while the engine only had 350-400 miles on it.

Its getting a little better, lets hope it keeps improving.

I have a long road trip coming up on Friday and back on Sunday. 3.5 hours each way. Will test it again and report.

What are you other seeing?

I just completed my first tank. Bought the car w/ 37 miles and ran it up to 402.

24.1 average for me, I am happy if it only gets better.

Also I started using a site called Fuelly that is great for tracking gas milage as well as total spend, very easy to enter from your Phone and I believe it accepts SMS messages for entry as well. It has a big database of cars but currently there are only like 28 Edge's out there, I am the only 2011 one, in fact when you configure your car you have to manually select the 2011 Edge.

Also I started using a site called Fuelly that is great for tracking gas milage as well as total spend, very easy to enter from your Phone and I believe it accepts SMS messages for entry as well. It has a big database of cars but currently there are only like 28 Edge's out there, I am the only 2011 one, in fact when you configure your car you have to manually select the 2011 Edge.

How's come I see 28 Edges, but only 2007, 2008 and 2010 models. Where are you? :unsure:

edit: Ah... there you are. You have only 2 "fuel-ups". Must have 3 min to show without having to "show all".

Edited by revOevoM

How's come I see 28 Edges, but only 2007, 2008 and 2010 models. Where are you? :unsure:

edit: Ah... there you are. You have only 2 "fuel-ups". Must have 3 min to show without having to "show all".

I think it also might have to do with the fact that when I added my Edge there was no option for 2011, I had to select other then manually add my year. I went in today and saw that 2011 was there so I updated my info, but I still only show up if I select all. We will see after the 3rd fill-up.

Knock on wood so far I am about 2/3 of a tank in and holding steady at 26.5. I drive almost exclusively on the highway though, 40 mile commute with maybe 4 miles not on the higway. Unless everyone wants me to drive at lunch, so they can ride in my new car. :shift:

I have had my 2011 Edge LTD AWD for two weeks and have been getting around 23 on "pure highway" if I reset MPG when I hit the highway and drive 20 mintues to work at about 65 avg.

Seems that on average overall (I do 80% HWY) it drops down to around 20.

I am VERY unhappy with this but hope it gets better, as I do love my Edge. I have been driving it gingerly and using cruise, and expected higher MPG above 25 on the HWY.

I decided this tank to reset the trip and reset the MPG meter...then I will calculate manually the MPG next fill and see how the Miles Driven/ Gallons to refill computes the MPG for the last tank vs. the system calculation.

Hopefully it will improve over time. Part of me wonders if I should have been patient for the EB engine to come out before I jumped...but I do love the V6 (had a 4 cyl. Camry before and though not as punch, hit 28 mpg...I hate having gone backwards on MPG this much).

But I love the Edge. Did I say that? :rockon:

If 2012 Edge has a hybrid option I shall cry :cry:

I have had my 2011 Edge LTD AWD for two weeks and have been getting around 23 on "pure highway" if I reset MPG when I hit the highway and drive 20 mintues to work at about 65 avg.

I am VERY unhappy with this but hope it gets better, as I do love my Edge. I have been driving it gingerly and using cruise, and expected higher MPG above 25 on the HWY.

I decided this tank to reset the trip and reset the MPG meter...then I will calculate manually the MPG next fill and see how the Miles Driven/ Gallons to refill computes the MPG for the last tank vs. the system calculation.

Hopefully it will improve over time. Part of me wonders if I should have been patient for the EB engine to come out before I jumped...but I do love the V6 (had a 4 cyl. Camry before and though not as punch, hit 28 mpg...I hate having gone backwards on MPG this much).

My previous car was a Camry Hybrid that gave me 32 MPG. I used to forget that I had to refuel!

Not now!

With just over 1000 miles on my AWD Limited, I do mostly city driving and get about 18 MPG at best.

Driving 79 MPH on the highway I was able to squeak 21 MPG

I don't miss the Hybrid much. I'm thinking that the hybrid is a dying fad. The standard engines are getting better and better these days and why deal with a big heavy battery. I was dreading the day when I would have to pay for a new Hybrid battery pack in my Camry. It was swell while it lasted but hybrids are not all that great.

Edited by wilsons66604

Hang in there, I have to believe it will get better, I don't know what I am doing, but I am getting much better gas milage then everyone on here. I have a 40 mile commute, almost all higway, only about 4 miles not on the Highway - Cruise set at 70, pretty congested highways in Charlotte, and I am getting above 26 on my current tank and finished my first tank at 24.1. I was trying to get some people to throw their info out on www.fuelly.com it is a good site to track your milage, plus they have added SMS based entry for the US, and we can get some real numbers out there on the Edge.

I am not showing up yet it appears because I only have 2 fill-ups. I am Kona Blue Edge - there is a way to show all and I come up.

Edited by francois.nc

Im wondering if the 2012 or 13 models will have the V6 Ecoboost? Maybe 5000lb tow limit or better, to best others in the class? Ford claims that it will be in use in up to 80% of its models by 2013:stats:

Im wondering if the 2012 or 13 models will have the V6 Ecoboost? Maybe 5000lb tow limit or better, to best others in the class? Ford claims that it will be in use in up to 80% of its models by 2013:stats:

No - Ford just said ecoboost would be in 80% of the models. Edge gets the 2.0L Ecoboost which meets the requirement.

I don't think you'll see the 3.5L EB in this version. They had to rebuild the entire front clip on the Flex/Taurus platform to handle the torque.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update or comment:

First, thank you for the "warm fuzzies" on hybrids. I am over my hybrid laments.

I did recheck the math on my second tank "manually" as was in the ball park around 21 MGP on average,with about 60-70% highway. I have reset my "instant MPG" to get pure highway and I can get real close to 25 MPG (unless I am going like 75-80 down the highway outside the city here in Denver then I am at 22). It is a little better now on subsequent tanks.

I have decided I simply had the wrong expectations based on my old 4 cycl. 2002 Camry that got a solid average 28 MPG with the same driving patters. I suppose going to a V6 and heavier car, averaging around 21-22 should NOT be a surprise.

Basically I really wanted a car like the Edge that gets 30 MPG-ish and the only car that pulls that off is the Lexus 450h and I just liked everything about the Edge better (before including the price difference that will never be made up on the gas savings). So I am over it...the MPG is what it is and I do really love my 2011 Edge Ltd. all factors considered :hyper: (but for the MyFord Touch glitches, lockups and crap like that....but that is for another thread :banghead: ).