Sport or Limited??

ncb

I am very close to buying a new 2011 AWD Edge, but not sure to choose between the Sport or the Limited .. I like the black grille on the Sport along with the more powerful engine and better handling. Not entirely sold on the wheels- are they cool or too much bling? : ) The Motor Trend review was positive but that it was extra heavy and a bit slow and that the braking was sub-par.

Any thoughts from owners in comparison between the Limited and Sport models?

I am very close to buying a new 2011 AWD Edge, but not sure to choose between the Sport or the Limited .. I like the black grille on the Sport along with the more powerful engine and better handling. Not entirely sold on the wheels- are they cool or too much bling? : ) The Motor Trend review was positive but that it was extra heavy and a bit slow and that the braking was sub-par.

depends - do you live somewhere that you need to worry about snow-ice? Are you ready to buy a whole other set of tires if so? Do HID lights make a big deal to you? the homelink option? Bigger engine more important?

I have the limited and love it. My husband really was disappointed that I didn't get the sport because he wanted the paddle shifters and the bigger wheels. I don't feel I missed on anything.

good luck with your decision.

Went with the Limited here. You can buy a grill and have it painted for a few dollars - some said as little as $200, but I'd figure $300. I can't imagine a "UV" without roof racks - can you get a Sport without the vista roof and get the roof rack?

And there are some reported problems with the wheels. Can you get the hitch option?

Nothing against the Sport at all, just showing how it didn't fit our needs.

You really have to think about what exactly you want.

The sport is really just a limited with some extra...erm...sportiness

With the sport you gain things like the bigger engine, true dual exhaust, sport-tuned suspension, big flashy wheels, smoked head/taillights, black grill, ground effects, two-toned seats, etc., but you lose some available function, namely the adaptive cruise control, HID headlights, homelink, towing package, and probably some MPG.

So, what's more important to you? Do you want a CUV with a sporty attitude and head-turning looks, or do you want more of a luxurious, slightly more fuel-efficient, and potentially more full featured CUV? All about preference and what exactly you want in the vehicle.

Edited by hunter4814

Went with the Limited here. You can buy a grill and have it painted for a few dollars - some said as little as $200, but I'd figure $300. I can't imagine a "UV" without roof racks - can you get a Sport without the vista roof and get the roof rack?

And there are some reported problems with the wheels. Can you get the hitch option?

Nothing against the Sport at all, just showing how it didn't fit our needs.

You can get any model without the vista roof and get the roof racks -

You can't get the tow package on the sport.

Grill can be painted and having it match your body color looks really awesome. Check out Rev's pics of Blue Edge.

Thanks for the insights. I hadn't realized the more subtle differences between the two packages, especially the adaptive cruise control. Although expensive, this seems like a potential life-saver for long drives, assuming it works as advertised.

Seems like there's a lot of hate on the sport. I bought a sport myself but it still hasn't been delivered. I think the biggest difference is price... but there are still a lot of differences. PROS for the sport: better looks (grille, body kit, rims, smoked headlights), more powerful engine, better handling, paddle shifters, myford touch standard. CONS for the sport: no adaptive cruise control, no HID's, firmer ride, price, tow package.

The one thing that really bugged me with the sport is the absence of an HID option, however, even if it was an option for the sport I still would have purchased aftermarket HID's and save a couple hundred. To be honest, the reason I chose the sport is for the overall looks and performance, but thats probably because I'm in my mid-twenties.

I saw a limited and sport side-by-side and there was just a big difference in looks in my opinion. Plus, the sport isn't too much more if you decide to get a Limited with a lot of options. It already comes with leather, myfordtouch, etc. The only options I ordered was the vista roof and red paint. I decided to buy aftermarket HID's and dual headrest DVD players saving at least $2000.

Seems like there's a lot of hate on the sport. I bought a sport myself but it still hasn't been delivered. I think the biggest difference is price... but there are still a lot of differences. PROS for the sport: better looks (grille, body kit, rims, smoked headlights), more powerful engine, better handling, paddle shifters, myford touch standard. CONS for the sport: no adaptive cruise control, no HID's, firmer ride, price, tow package.

The one thing that really bugged me with the sport is the absence of an HID option, however, even if it was an option for the sport I still would have purchased aftermarket HID's and save a couple hundred. To be honest, the reason I chose the sport is for the overall looks and performance, but thats probably because I'm in my mid-twenties.

I saw a limited and sport side-by-side and there was just a big difference in looks in my opinion. Plus, the sport isn't too much more if you decide to get a Limited with a lot of options. It already comes with leather, myfordtouch, etc. The only options I ordered was the vista roof and red paint. I decided to buy aftermarket HID's and dual headrest DVD players saving at least $2000.

Hey BBoy, I too am looking to get dual headrest DVD. Which ones did you purchase and can you post pics when installed? Thanks

I recently purchased a 2011 limited and briefly looked at the Sport, but the missing options were the deal killer for me.

I was Leery of the adaptive cruise control at first, but now that I have it, it is a very worthwhile option. What I don't understand is why Ford choose not to add the missing options, HID, Adaptive Cruise, home link, etc. to the Sport.

One think that I personally did not like was the 22" wheels, I had enough trouble convincing myself to go with the 20" wheels. The 285 HP is plenty for me and I like the extra MPG.

I don't think it is hate just different needs and wants. The missing options and 22" wheels/tires are what ultimately made me go with the Limited

Thanks for the insights. I hadn't realized the more subtle differences between the two packages, especially the adaptive cruise control. Although expensive, this seems like a potential life-saver for long drives, assuming it works as advertised.

I've only had my Limted for a week, but the adaptive cruise is great on my daily drive to the office. It 's working quite well in the constantly changing traffic speeds.

For me it was an easy choice, I wasn't that much of a fan of the 22s, although I do like the 20s. Having HIDs and Adaptive Cruise was far more important than the small HP boost which I will never feel.

Yea I'll admit the sport not having the adaptive cruise control was also a let down. Not a big one for me but I can understand why a lot of people would miss it, especially the ones with a long commute that live in places with not a lot of traffic. It's a nice feature but the only time I use cruise control is on drives longer than 5 hours so I don't think I would miss the adaptive feature too much as long as cruise is still equipped. I'd still shell out money for it if it was an option though because I'd really like to try it out.

When reading the reviews and seeing pictures, I didn't want the 22" wheels either. I thought the ride would be too harsh and the looks would be to ghetto or tacky. I actually thought about selling them and replacing them with Audi wheels. After a test drive, I realized the difference in both comfort and handles between the other wheels, but I guess its apples and oranges. As far as the looks, I thought the shiny chrome wheels looked more out of place than the shiny forged aluminum (which look a lot better in person), but I'm not a fan of chrome.

To GoneCruzan, I have these monitor headrests (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_435ESS71RB/ESS-Headrest-Video-Package-Black.html?tp=80). I opted out of the model that had a DVD player built in because I'll have the monitors wired to a WD Live Media Player instead. The headrests are good quality and the screens have decent resolution with LED backlighting. If you're interested in the model with DVD players built in, you can find it here (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_435ESS9IRB/ESS-Headrest-Video-Package-Black.html?tp=80), it is also upgraded to a 9" in. screen.

Sport all the way. This thing is a header. I'm 37 and I have people young and old saying that my Edge is "sick" and they have this look on their face like "Damn I want one". Its pretty cool and lots of fun to drive.

I love the painted fascias, door clad, & rockers. Really changes the look. Then add the 22's and black grille. I could go on and on.

I decided on a silver AWD Limited w the 302A package, black interior and 20" wheels. Should be ready next weekend :)

Dont forget, you can always go to your local autobody guy, have him order the front and rear facias and lower rocker panels and add them on painted to your body color. This way you have the look of the Sport, but with HIDs, Homelink, Adaptive cruise, and tow package and whatever size wheels you fancy. Best of both worlds.