2011 Edge IA key not working

d_source

Hi All,

Just got my 2011 edge. We love it!!! Absolutely love it!

BUT

The IA Key just isnt working. We have the drivers entry package so we have the remote start, and the power liftgate and push button start. The key does not power start the car, it does not lock the doors or unlock the doors, it does not open the power liftgate, and it does not sound the panic alarm button. None of these features work remotely. If i have the key in my pocket, and grab the door handle, the doors DO unlock. The car does start with the keys in the car. Thats the reason we didnt notice this while at the dealership, b/c the car was working. It just seems like remotely the IA keys have been locked out or something.

To make things more confusing, once the doors are open, all functions on the IA keys work. I can remote start, lock/unlock, open liftgate and panic. What do i need to do here to fix this?

Help please. The dealer is 350kms away, so i hope i can fix this easily myself.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just got my 2011 edge. We love it!!! Absolutely love it!

BUT

The IA Key just isnt working. We have the drivers entry package so we have the remote start, and the power liftgate and push button start. The key does not power start the car, it does not lock the doors or unlock the doors, it does not open the power liftgate, and it does not sound the panic alarm button. None of these features work remotely. If i have the key in my pocket, and grab the door handle, the doors DO unlock. The car does start with the keys in the car. Thats the reason we didnt notice this while at the dealership, b/c the car was working. It just seems like remotely the IA keys have been locked out or something.

To make things more confusing, once the doors are open, all functions on the IA keys work. I can remote start, lock/unlock, open liftgate and panic. What do i need to do here to fix this?

Help please. The dealer is 350kms away, so i hope i can fix this easily myself.

Thanks.

How do you lock the car? I know on the MKS when you lock the doors with the keypad it disables the keyfob for security reasons. If you lock the doors with the IA key does it work?

How do you lock the car? I know on the MKS when you lock the doors with the keypad it disables the keyfob for security reasons. If you lock the doors with the IA key does it work?

I don't know the answer, but read the manual specifically about the mykey section. That may have something to do with it. There are features you can turn on and off.

Since the car doors have been opened manually, locking the car from the key fob does work.

I shoul;dnt have to create a mykey since at this point both keys should be admin keys. Neither work properly though. Both have the same issue.

It's not mykey and I don't really see a reference to valet mode.

Can you please explain how you stop the car and then lock it such that the remotes don't work?

If it works after you manually unlock the door then my guess is something in your shutdown/locking procedure is leaving it in the wrong state and the remotes are locked out.

It's not mykey and I don't really see a reference to valet mode.

Can you please explain how you stop the car and then lock it such that the remotes don't work?

If it works after you manually unlock the door then my guess is something in your shutdown/locking procedure is leaving it in the wrong state and the remotes are locked out.

Exactly, the remotes are being locked out after a certain amount of time (not sure how long) after the car is shut off and locked. The car recognizes the keys but they are locked out until i manually open the door. Then they work fine. I can then remote start, lock/unlock and power liftgate. Once i shut off the car engine, i can still lock the doors using the remote or any other method. Once some time has passed, the remotes are then locked out.

Exactly, the remotes are being locked out after a certain amount of time (not sure how long) after the car is shut off and locked. The car recognizes the keys but they are locked out until i manually open the door. Then they work fine. I can then remote start, lock/unlock and power liftgate. Once i shut off the car engine, i can still lock the doors using the remote or any other method. Once some time has passed, the remotes are then locked out.

This is a long shot, but see if they stop working after 10 minutes or 30 minutes and make sure you didn't leave any interior lights on. Just a hunch.

Can someone please explain to me how to check if my car is in valet mode? Maybe thats the problem here. I've read through the literature and nothing there explains how to turn it on/off or check.

THX.

To enter Valet Mode

1. Press Menu > Vehicle > Valet mode.

2. Select ‘Enable valet mode’.

3. When prompted, enter a four digit PIN.

If it is in Valet mode, you will be prompted to enter the code to access the settings menu

just pickup my blue Edge today, I have the push button start. Do I have to keep the car running to try out the electronics or some how I can set it on accessory like the way with key. Thanks ..

ACC mode can be entered by pressing the Start button w/o your foot on the brake. (not sure but you may need to hit the start button twice)

just pickup my blue Edge today, I have the push button start. Do I have to keep the car running to try out the electronics or some how I can set it on accessory like the way with key. Thanks ..

Please take a half hour and read the owner's manual. It tells you specifically how to operate the push button start. There is also important info on what to do if the fob stops working so you can still start and drive the vehicle. And what to do if the person with the Fob leaves the vehicle while it's running.

ACC mode can be entered by pressing the Start button w/o your foot on the brake. (not sure but you may need to hit the start button twice)

Press once without your foot on the brake and you are in ACCessory mode

Press again without your foot on the brake and you are in on, just like with a key.

This is a long shot, but see if they stop working after 10 minutes or 30 minutes and make sure you didn't leave any interior lights on. Just a hunch.

They do stop working after a certain amount of time of inactivity. I'm not sure what that time is, but i would say its about 10mins. What do you think this means? No interior lights are on as I would see these lights as i leave the car correct?

To enter Valet Mode

1. Press Menu > Vehicle > Valet mode.

2. Select ‘Enable valet mode’.

3. When prompted, enter a four digit PIN.

If it is in Valet mode, you will be prompted to enter the code to access the settings menu

Thanks. Tried this in the car. The isnt the problem. Is there a way to put the key fobs into valet mode?

They do stop working after a certain amount of time of inactivity. I'm not sure what that time is, but i would say its about 10mins. What do you think this means? No interior lights are on as I would see these lights as i leave the car correct?

Yes - you should see lights on if that was the case. I'm stumped. Try this at night. Stand next to the car after shutting it off and see if it's exactly 10 minutes. Listen for any sounds (clicks especially) at the 10 minute mark. This would confirm it's some type of timer and might help the dealer pinpoint the problem. It could be a bad smart junction box or whichever module communicates with the remote. I doubt you can fix this yourself though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how this would come into play with your testing/use of the key, however it sounds like the key could be getting electronically disabled as would be a key if locked in the car. If you lock one key in the car it disables many of the functions of that key until you open the car with the other key. Also, does it do this no matter where you are parked, home and somewhere else? It could be something else interfering and possibly even causing the car to lock out the keys.

It is also possible that you have a very low battery in that key. This would explain why it seems to work once you are in the car.

Now another possibility is the antenna for the IA isn't connected correctly. This may also explain why it works in the car, but not out of the car.

I know you said they work for a short while after you've had it running, so the low batt and antenna issues may not be valid, but I thought I'd shoot them your way just in case. Its certainly a strange one!

• 3 weeks later...

So here is my update after just over a month of owning the vehicle. Its been in to service 4 or 5 times already. They have replaced parts, they have tried a slew of different things to no avail. I am in communication with ford Canada. I am pushing them to do something b/c this is their problem, not the delearships. This car should NEVER have left the factory in this condition. I made them give me a rental and told them to hang on to my car for days until they can figure something out. So now i dont even have my new vehicle. I have a bottom line fusion, no where near the class/safety of the vehicle i purchased. My edge now also has the white screen problem, which is common in 2011 edge's, which you can research on syncmyride forums (just search white screen). I am IRATE as a customer! This is absolutely ridiculous the amount of effort I am being asked to put forth for a brand new vehicle. If anyone reads this, i highly recommend not buying this car as their are too many problems.

Build me a new f#$%kin car Ford!!!!! I am NOT your beta tester!

Anyone have any advice on how to proceed here?

I got a call from service to swap my rental for my edge (still not fixed) b/c they now think its the keys and have ordered me new keys, but there is no stock in North America and it'll take about 2 weeks to get in new keys. F!k you Ford, go 30kms to Oakville and pick up a set from there as I am SURE they have them there, otherwise they arent producing cars every 50secs. Bullsh!t!

I'm not sure how this would come into play with your testing/use of the key, however it sounds like the key could be getting electronically disabled as would be a key if locked in the car. If you lock one key in the car it disables many of the functions of that key until you open the car with the other key. Also, does it do this no matter where you are parked, home and somewhere else? It could be something else interfering and possibly even causing the car to lock out the keys.

It is also possible that you have a very low battery in that key. This would explain why it seems to work once you are in the car.

Now another possibility is the antenna for the IA isn't connected correctly. This may also explain why it works in the car, but not out of the car.

I know you said they work for a short while after you've had it running, so the low batt and antenna issues may not be valid, but I thought I'd shoot them your way just in case. Its certainly a strange one!

You are actually the second person to mention the antenna. I've contacted service to see if they have tried/checked that.

The keys lock out everywhere, not just at one location. Both keys lock out, not just one or the other. It's not a battery problem b/c once the doors have been unlocked, you can take the keys far away and they will work, so obviously the strength in the battery is there.

• 4 weeks later...

update - not sure if this helps you but in my case is was a simple switch in the fuse panel. Open it up and see if there is a small switch anywhere which says on/off. Switch it to on. This solved my problem. The reason I was told was for security when the vehicle sits on the lot. If someone steals the key they can't go back and press buttons on the remote to find the car. Another reason was to save the charge in the battery when not in use. The dealership should flip this switch when they prep the car after sale.

Not sure if this solves your problem but I hope it helps.

Latest update: Ford ordered new keys which took about 5 weeks to come in. Tried them, and of course that wasnt the problem. And now we're back to square one.

update - not sure if this helps you but in my case is was a simple switch in the fuse panel. Open it up and see if there is a small switch anywhere which says on/off. Switch it to on. This solved my problem. The reason I was told was for security when the vehicle sits on the lot. If someone steals the key they can't go back and press buttons on the remote to find the car. Another reason was to save the charge in the battery when not in use. The dealership should flip this switch when they prep the car after sale.

Not sure if this solves your problem but I hope it helps.

^^^I took a look in the fuse panel for something along the lines of what you are talking about and could not find anything. I asked a friend who works at a subaru/hyundai dleaership and he said the only switch that he can think of is the showroom switch, but when this is turned off nothing works. Was it just your keys that weren't working or was your dome light and radio etc not working as well?

Can anyone tell me if such a switch exists in the 2011 Edge?

Please, i'm desparate as i've been driving a defunct car since Oct 30, had it in to service a bunch of times and am just plain sick and tired of thinking about this and there is no resolution in site.

Latest update: Ford ordered new keys which took about 5 weeks to come in. Tried them, and of course that wasnt the problem. And now we're back to square one.

^^^I took a look in the fuse panel for something along the lines of what you are talking about and could not find anything. I asked a friend who works at a subaru/hyundai dleaership and he said the only switch that he can think of is the showroom switch, but when this is turned off nothing works. Was it just your keys that weren't working or was your dome light and radio etc not working as well?

Can anyone tell me if such a switch exists in the 2011 Edge?

Please, i'm desparate as i've been driving a defunct car since Oct 30, had it in to service a bunch of times and am just plain sick and tired of thinking about this and there is no resolution in site.

I didn't test what did/did not work but basically the keys didn't work and when I manually unlocked the car, the keys would then work for a period of time. Once in the car, all radio presents were back to the factory default as if the battery was disconnected. If the switch killed the power to everything then I would imagine I wouldn't have been able to do anything even after entering the car.

The switch I'm talking about is a yellow one in the middle of the fuse panel.

• 2 years later...