First oil change

Edge4Me

When I got my 2011 Edge, the dealer told me to do the first oil change at 6 months or 8000 km. Don't we change the oil after the break-in period (1600 km) ? or no need to do that anymore for today's car ?

First oil change at 5,000 mile and every 7,500 mile (or once a year if lower) after that. Some like to do the first one at 3,000 miles.

I once heard from my Acura dealer that I should not change the oil prematurely. He claimed there where additives to the oil to assist with engine break-in - removing the first batch of oil early could affect the engine break-in.

He was a sales guy, so I don't know how accurate it is....

That used to be true but not any more.

Modern engines do not use special break-in oil (with possibly one or two exceptions). Modern engines do not need the original factory oil changed early. If the recommended interval is 5000 miles then that's when you need to do the first change.

When I got my 2011 Edge, the dealer told me to do the first oil change at 6 months or 8000 km. Don't we change the oil after the break-in period (1600 km) ? or no need to do that anymore for today's car ?

It can vary from 8000 km if you do a lot of towing to 16,000 kms if under normal driving conditions. That is what the service guy told me after they had to dig to get the info from the service sheets. The vehicle will tell you when to bring it in. I think the first warning is at 800 km. I have driven almost 3000 kms and the oil life is at 90%. At that rate, it might not need an oil change past the 16,000 and actually need one when I hit 30k. I am sure when winter hits, the oil life will decrease rapidly. I can see the maintenance costs being minimal compare to my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Fuel is sure costing me less. I had to fill up 2 1/2 times a week with the Jeep, now I only need to fill up once a week.

I think everyone has missed this new feature ! Our new Edge has an intelligent Oil life monitor. Depending on the usage (highway/city) the intervals will vary. The manual says:

For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center

which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should

perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The

message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL

CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The

engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or

500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is

displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or

10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ after

each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Cluster

chapter.

Edited by wilsons66604

When we got my wife's '09 MKS, oil changes were every 7,500 miles, and the 1st 2 were free. The dealership had me bring it in at 2,000 miles for a oil change, to get out all "loose particles" from the new engine, which they did at no charge also. Heck, I remember years ago, it was normal practice to do the1st oil change at 1,000 miles. Even with the MKS, I'm having the oil changed every 5,000 miles vs 7,500. The service tech said that this is a smart decision. Remember, a clean engine is a happt engine ! :yup:

Joe

I think everyone has missed this new feature ! Our new Edge has an intelligent Oil life monitor. Depending on the usage (highway/city) the intervals will vary. The manual says:

For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center

which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should

perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The

message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL

CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The

engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or

500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is

displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or

10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ after

each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Cluster

chapter.

Anybody know what kind of sensors or test the “intelligent Oil life monitor” uses/does?

ab