SYNC GEN 2 update

orlym2

Really...The only reliable thing that works with the iPhone is the hardwired USB. The phone is kinda reliable but I suspect it as the reason for random reboots.

I am actually thinking about dumping iPhone for something that does work but Ford has yet to come back to me an let me know what phone does work.

This is what I have always suspected but got "beat up" by Ford lovers when i suggested it.

We are caught in the middle of a cat fight between Apple, Ford, & Microsoft. Holy crap.

I've been thinking about getting away from apple as well BUT I am just so used to the iPhone, I have had all 4 since they day they each came out. I was thinking about making the switch to Droid but I am not that impressed. Both apple/droid have their pros/cons. DROID also does not fully work with the Sync system as well. The real question I have is with the new Windows Phone 7. I would love to know how compatible it is with MyFordTouch and if it is enabled to use every feature the MyFordTouch system has...

I've been thinking about getting away from apple as well BUT I am just so used to the iPhone, I have had all 4 since they day they each came out. I was thinking about making the switch to Droid but I am not that impressed. Both apple/droid have their pros/cons. DROID also does not fully work with the Sync system as well. The real question I have is with the new Windows Phone 7. I would love to know how compatible it is with MyFordTouch and if it is enabled to use every feature the MyFordTouch system has...

It might as it is all Microsoft - but how great is it going to be as a phone? Personally I am not in my car so much that I would have the phone work best while in the car rather than in my office or house... I guess, if I spent all day in the car I might feel differently but really it is only about 30 minutes twice a day...

I asked Ford tonight just what phone I need to work with my 40k investment. no reply yet. I'm sorry to say that I am willing to switch phones. I have too much $$$ invested in this experiment and i wan ALL the features to work.

This is disgusting and I think ford should be called out for the deceptive marketing here.

It might as it is all Microsoft - but how great is it going to be as a phone? Personally I am not in my car so much that I would have the phone work best while in the car rather than in my office or house... I guess, if I spent all day in the car I might feel differently but really it is only about 30 minutes twice a day...

Choff, I'm usually not in my car that much but i want it to work with my device when I AM in the car. I use my device as an Audiobook or podcast reader mostly. When I'm done with my morning walk (listening to tech podcasts) i want to hop in the car an continue the podcast. That just isn't happening now. This worked better in my old Camry but I had to connect the phone to aux.

I want the car that Ford advertised. it just an't happening with the iPhone.

You thought Kirby and I were bickering like kids. i bet Ford and Apple need your intervention! See what you can do... Please!

Choff, I'm usually not in my car that much but i want it to work with my device when I AM in the car. I use my device as an Audiobook or podcast reader mostly. When I'm done with my morning walk (listening to tech podcasts) i want to hop in the car an continue the podcast. That just isn't happening now. This worked better in my old Camry but I had to connect the phone to aux.

I want the car that Ford advertised. it just an't happening with the iPhone.

You thought Kirby and I were bickering like kids. i bet Ford and Apple need your intervention! See what you can do... Please!

To be honest - I am rather impressed that microsoft was willing to make as system that even parts of an apple product works on. I wouldn't have been surprised it they made something in it that made the plain ol' ipod not work.

I realize that you are frustrated with your system not working correctly - but I want you to finally acknowledge that not everyone is having the number of problems you are an that maybe you are in the minority with issues... There is a chance that a software update isn't going to fix your problems. Didn't you say that you had a blackberry too? how was that working with your system?

As with anything or anyone, I get very tired of griping and not doing anything to try and fix the situation. - Griping on here isn't fixing your situation. Give you dealership the chance to fix it - maybe they will find your own unit is bad? Maybe the software needs to be completely reinstalled. Try a different phone - maybe you will find one that works. But just saying over and over Ford screwed up accomplishes nothing. They didn't screw up - they went forward with a new product and some people unfortunately are having issues. Do you have an Iphone 4? do you continue to hold it pinky up so that you don't drop your call? No company or product is 100% perfect and any new technology has higher bug rates.

Ok, stepping back off my box. I just feel bad for people looking on this forum for information about the car either looking to buy it, or already got one and they just hear the bad. I know that everyone on this forum does not have a completely screwed up system. I am proof of that.

To be honest - I am rather impressed that microsoft was willing to make as system that even parts of an apple product works on. I wouldn't have been surprised it they made something in it that made the plain ol' ipod not work.

I realize that you are frustrated with your system not working correctly - but I want you to finally acknowledge that not everyone is having the number of problems you are an that maybe you are in the minority with issues... There is a chance that a software update isn't going to fix your problems. Didn't you say that you had a blackberry too? how was that working with your system?

As with anything or anyone, I get very tired of griping and not doing anything to try and fix the situation. - Griping on here isn't fixing your situation. Give you dealership the chance to fix it - maybe they will find your own unit is bad? Maybe the software needs to be completely reinstalled. Try a different phone - maybe you will find one that works. But just saying over and over Ford screwed up accomplishes nothing. They didn't screw up - they went forward with a new product and some people unfortunately are having issues. Do you have an Iphone 4? do you continue to hold it pinky up so that you don't drop your call? No company or product is 100% perfect and any new technology has higher bug rates.

Ok, stepping back off my box. I just feel bad for people looking on this forum for information about the car either looking to buy it, or already got one and they just hear the bad. I know that everyone on this forum does not have a completely screwed up system. I am proof of that.

I understand how you can feel bad for those new people that come to the forum. The truth is hard to hear. Bottom line, Don't believe what you see on the ads!

You can't deny the info Ford has quietly released to me tonight that they know they have problems with Apple and they are trying to keep it quiet. ssshhhhh. If the word gets out, it will hurt Ford's bottom line.

I spent BIG bucks and I would expect the vehicle to work as advertised . No where does Ford tell me that they are in a pissing match with Apple and if I have an Apple phone my Touch system will reboot when I least expect it.

I like the car but It pisses me off that Ford has hidden the fact that they can't seem to work out issues with Apple. Apple is the phone of choice of most Americans and Ford knows it. That is why the troubled relationship is hush hush.

Deception! <chime in akirby>

I'm now shopping for a new phone that works with the Ford I just bought. What Phone is that? A 1992 Moto razor?

No one has been able to tell me that. The only published documentation is several years old

Edited by wilsons66604

I understand how you can feel bad for those new people that come to the forum. The truth is hard to hear. Bottom line, Don't believe what you see on the ads!

You can't deny the info Ford has quietly released to me tonight that they know they have problems with Apple and they are trying to keep it quiet. ssshhhhh. If the word gets out, it will hurt Ford's bottom line.

I spent BIG bucks and I would expect the vehicle to work as advertised . No where does Ford tell me that they are in a pissing match with Apple and if I have an Apple phone my Touch system will reboot when I least expect it.

I like the car but It pisses me off that Ford has hidden the fact that they can't seem to work out issues with Apple. Apple is the phone of choice of most Americans and Ford knows it. That is why the troubled relationship is hush hush.

Deception! <chime in akirby>

I'm now shopping for a new phone that works with the Ford I just bought. What Phone is that? A 1992 Moto razor?

No one has been able to tell me that. The only published documentation is several years old

I never saw where it said it would work perfectly with an Iphone - or what phone it would work perfectly with. I honestly never asked either. I saw the system was powered by microsoft and said to myself... "self - Microsoft is going to use this as there chance for apple kicking their ass with the ipod/zune - operating systems in general... and now taking over the phone market. I bet my iphone won't be the best choice."

Again. MY IPHONE DOES NOT REBOOT MY SYSTEM - NEVER HAS!!!! IT ISN'T YOUR PHONE CAUSING YOUR SYSTEM TO REBOOT!

Choff, I'm with you 100%. I bought mine because I wanted a nice car that had some really cool tech, not because I needed another cell phone with album art.

Headlights that turn when I do? Cool. Outside mirror that dims by itself? Cool! Rain-sensing wipers that actually work? Cool. Adaptive cruise that I can actually use on suburban highways? Cool. A car that watches my oil and tire pressure by itself, and runs diagnostics by itself? Cool. A backup camera that works in pitch black, and a reverse sensor that can pick up a curb? Cool. The BAMR? Ummm... cool.

A voice-activated system that has learned that when I used to have to say "Phone... Call... Jnnn... Mnnn..." I can now say "Call Jnnn"? Cool bonus round.

I'm still discovering some of the stuff this thing does, and does well. I could go on and on, but it's safe to say that I am impressed more every day i own it.

Edited by johnd01
  • Like 1

Choff, I'm with you 100%. I bought mine because I wanted a nice car that had some really cool tech, not because I needed another cell phone with album art.

Headlights that turn when I do? Cool. Outside mirror that dims by itself? Cool! Rain-sensing wipers that actually work? Cool. Adaptive cruise that I can actually use on suburban highways? Cool. A car that watches my oil and tire pressure by itself, and runs diagnostics by itself? Cool. A backup camera that works in pitch black, and a reverse sensor that can pick up a curb? Cool. The BAMR? Ummm... cool.

A voice-activated system that has learned that when I used to have to say "Phone... Call... Jnnn... Mnnn..." I can now say "Call Jnnn"? Cool bonus round.

I'm still discovering some of the stuff this thing does, and does well. I could go on and on, but it's safe to say that I am impressed more every day i own it.

I agree that all that stuff is cool. I still like the car. If that is what you want out of the car then cool. You got it! I can't live without the backup camera and the radar. Those are awesome (I'm at a lost when Touch reboots in the middle of a backup)

I tend to think that the iphone and it's interaction with Ford is the cause of my problems.

All iPhone users will be sad to hear this latest twitter conversation with Ford...Breaking News

I have had a few minor annoyances with MFT and Sync, but nothing major that makes me regret my purchase. I love the technology, but then again I am using a Blackberry and have had no problems.

I also love the vehicle in general and am getting good mileage, around 23-25 combined.

Just wanted to chime in here and say that I've had a 2011 Edge Limited for a week now and it pairs up with my iPhone 4 flawlessly. I get in the car and it auto connects quickly and makes and receives calls no problem. iPod songs and podcasts play over bluetooth perfectly. The only thing I'd like to see improved is that song name info and albumn art do not appear over bluetooth. When I plug the phone in usb they show up fine.

EDIT: I'm coming from a 2006 Nissan Armada and all I can say is this car is simply amazing.

-Tom

Edited by tknice
  • Like 1

Woo Hoo! come on Iphone users... sing it proud.

Wilson - try a different phone and prove to yourself that you continue having the same issues. It isn't your iphone breaking your car... your car has something faulty in it.

Could it be the iOS version?? I'm updating iPhone software Friday. I hope it helps

I wish I had another phone to test with but since the iPhone switched to the smaller sim, I can't swap around.

I'm not ruling out hardware but I think it's a long shot.

I've checked out a few Apple type forums and it was clear that the iPhone/Sync owners were very frustrated with the bugs.

post-9129-053378800 1289493180_thumb.jpg

I didn't get from your post that they were trying to hide the problem. It appeared they did not want to start a public spat with apple since they still need to work with them. I have no doubt apple is causing some trouble with their obsessive desire to overcontrol their products. They are working together, perhaps even later this year an Apple authentication chip will be installed in the sync system to allow the iPhone interface to be displayed on the touch screen. I believe you are overreacting by saying they were being deceptive. They even delayed the start of production for over a month working on this system. They reached a point where it was good enough to allow production while they continue to work on improvements. I like the system even with it's bugs and I look forward to it being even better when they release updates and new apps.

I think your spat should be with Apple. In my opinion Apple goes out of it's way to make using it's products with non-Apple products impossible. I have an I-Pad... it won't talk to my wireless printer because my printer is networked with a PC. Luckily I use my I-Pad for entertainment and not work.

I have had very minor problems with My Ford Touch. In my opinion, the problem is impatience. Are there times when my touch screen is slow... yes. Do I touch it 3 million times trying to get it to work... no. I'm patient and I give it a minute to upload all the details I can't see. If you give it time to boot up when you start the car it all works smoothly. I don't think FORD meant for the consumer to be pulling fuses and trying to force the system to reboot when it's not necessary.

Patience is a virtue.

I know there are things that aren't working like the commercials show... but they will. And while they're working out the bugs I'll be enjoying the indian summer we're having and driving with the BAMR open and the music up! :shades: :shift:

I know there are things that aren't working like the commercials show... but they will. And while they're working out the bugs I'll be enjoying the indian summer we're having and driving with the BAMR open and the music up! :shades: :shift:

I got to have my BAMR open once before it was just too cold. Next summer though. :)

Could it be the iOS version?? I'm updating iPhone software Friday. I hope it helps

I wish I had another phone to test with but since the iPhone switched to the smaller sim, I can't swap around.

I'm not ruling out hardware but I think it's a long shot.

I've checked out a few Apple type forums and it was clear that the iPhone/Sync owners were very frustrated with the bugs.

Scott I did see on another forum where ever since they plugged in their iPhone with 4.1 ios it caused skipping when connected via USB. I saw somewhere where some testers of the 4.2 beta version confirm this skipping has stopped. I have had my iPhone twice now while playing music sort of lock up and after that all the media hub ports turn off so to speak, can't use any other USB connected devices for a while. Both times after a restart all was fine.

I am just hoping that 4.2 gives us iPhone users the Bluetooth profiles we want (contact photos, texting over Bluetooth) and perhaps a better version of avrcp which would give us metadata over Bluetooth.

I haven't heard from any beta testers though that any of these are included in the 4.2 update.

Edited by francois.nc
  • Like 1

Bah IPhone...

Glorified piece of hardware that does not follow industry standards. Then users blame everybody but whom they should be blaming - Apple.

I've been hearing this crap since the Apple IIc... Get over it people Apple is the biggest Teflon coated company out there when it comes to addressing issues.

You're HOLDING IT WRONG! My suggestion to anyone considering an IPhone... Look elsewhere, unless Apple is selling you the product to go with it you'll get nothing but grief. They'll go out of there way to make sure it doesn't interoperate with something that they're not getting a piece of the pie of.

Bah IPhone...

Glorified piece of hardware that does not follow industry standards. Then users blame everybody but whom they should be blaming - Apple.

I've been hearing this crap since the Apple IIc... Get over it people Apple is the biggest Teflon coated company out there when it comes to addressing issues.

You're HOLDING IT WRONG! My suggestion to anyone considering an IPhone... Look elsewhere, unless Apple is selling you the product to go with it you'll get nothing but grief. They'll go out of there way to make sure it doesn't interoperate with something that they're not getting a piece of the pie of.

And they've been extremely successful at it! Non-standard connectors, non-standard SIM cards, non-standard security, locked down applications & developement etc. etc. etc. It's all been highly profitable for them yet a huge PITA when it comes to the end user who wants to interface their Apple product with 3rd party hardware. I'm afraid Ford Sync customers with most Apple products are never going to have a smooth ride until Ford buckles to Apple pressure and incorporates the special Apple authorization chip in their vehicles. And that's not going to do anything for existing Ford owners. As for me, I'll stay as far away from Apple as I can (notwithstanding the Nano my daughter bequeathed me...)

Hey I'm not saying Apple is an open company or anything, but I've never had this many problems with anything else I've plugged my iPhone into. It works fine with the aftermarket $100 adapter for my Accord and it works fine with a couple docking stations we have in the house. Apple's had published specs for interfacing via the dock connector for quite awhile, so in this case I blame Microsoft/Ford.

• Like 1