SYNC GEN 2 update

orlym2

Hey I'm not saying Apple is an open company or anything, but I've never had this many problems with anything else I've plugged my iPhone into. It works fine with the aftermarket $100 adapter for my Accord and it works fine with a couple docking stations we have in the house. Apple's had published specs for interfacing via the dock connector for quite awhile, so in this case I blame Microsoft/Ford.

I agree. Can't they ALL JUST GET ALONG?

Well from what I can see technically, Apple's Bluetooth stack is not 100% to Spec. Now I'm flying a little blind with Ford, but I suspect that Microsoft is using their Windows CE bluetooth stack which was developed in majority by Broadcom. Broadcom for those who don't know makes 80% of the bluetooth chips out there, so they know there stuff.

Anyways Apple is known for having numerous bluetooth issues, and if they didn't have the market share that they did almost no devices would work with the IPhone. The fact is manufacturers have to specifically dance with Apple to get anything to work right with an IPhone because Apple does not properly follow standards. In addition they are not transparent about it.

As much as I'll knock Microsoft about trying to make their own standards, they won't necessarily call stuff to a spec unless it actually tries to follow it. Honestly folks, Apple should be punished for this type of thing - because it hurts industry innovations like Sync as a whole. It slows down the market, and doesn't allow us developers to just build things. Instead we waste time dancing with BS licence agreements and the sort, which time that can be spent innovating and working out bugs. This is why I stopped developing for the IPhone, and have moved to Android. I may also consider Microsoft if they change their Developer agreements, and allow side loading of applications.

Bottom line: Punish companies that are not open and do not make it easy for developers & competitors to make neat things for their platforms!

Well from what I can see technically, Apple's Bluetooth stack is not 100% to Spec. Now I'm flying a little blind with Ford, but I suspect that Microsoft is using their Windows CE bluetooth stack which was developed in majority by Broadcom. Broadcom for those who don't know makes 80% of the bluetooth chips out there, so they know there stuff.

Anyways Apple is known for having numerous bluetooth issues, and if they didn't have the market share that they did almost no devices would work with the IPhone. The fact is manufacturers have to specifically dance with Apple to get anything to work right with an IPhone because Apple does not properly follow standards. In addition they are not transparent about it.

As much as I'll knock Microsoft about trying to make their own standards, they won't necessarily call stuff to a spec unless it actually tries to follow it. Honestly folks, Apple should be punished for this type of thing - because it hurts industry innovations like Sync as a whole. It slows down the market, and doesn't allow us developers to just build things. Instead we waste time dancing with BS licence agreements and the sort, which time that can be spent innovating and working out bugs. This is why I stopped developing for the IPhone, and have moved to Android. I may also consider Microsoft if they change their Developer agreements, and allow side loading of applications.

Bottom line: Punish companies that are not open and do not make it easy for developers & competitors to make neat things for their platforms!

Do Android phones work with the MyTouch? I seem to recall people having issues getting BT Audio

I'm trying to locate a modern phone that is works without MyTouch issues

Edited by wilsons66604

Do Android phones work with the MyTouch? I seem to recall people having issues getting BT Audio

I'm trying to locate a modern phone that is works without MyTouch issues

Why don't you chill out for a bit? Maybe take a vacation, get away from it all? It'd be a win win situation. We wouldn't have to read your new chicken little posts every hour, and you'd be relaxing somewhere nice while Ford was working on an update to make MyTouch function better. Possibly by the time you got back it would be available. Think about it. It would add years to your life!

Hey I'm not saying Apple is an open company or anything, but I've never had this many problems with anything else I've plugged my iPhone into. It works fine with the aftermarket $100 adapter for my Accord and it works fine with a couple docking stations we have in the house. Apple's had published specs for interfacing via the dock connector for quite awhile, so in this case I blame Microsoft/Ford.

But those interfaces only do stereo audio, right? It's a different ballgame when you start moving different types of data like phonebook contacts, playlists, photots, etc.

The Bluetooth profiles for this advanced functionality is quite complicated and unfortunately Ford is on the bleeding edge here which just magnifies any Apple issues.

• Like 1

This is what I've been trying to explain to people who insist on blaming Ford because the cell phone mfrs didn't implement their bluetooth interfaces correctly. Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

Type Name Version Description Status Date

BT4T-14D544-BD SYNC GEN 2 BT4T-14D544-BD CI 11/16/2010

Woohooo! Not only does that mean our new Sport is almost ready, it means it'll come from the factory with the most current code update (if I'm reading this right?!?).

• 2 weeks later...

Type Name Version Description Status Date

Woohooo! Not only does that mean our new Sport is almost ready, it means it'll come from the factory with the most current code update (if I'm reading this right?!?).

Any Update MrHappy?

I was at the dealer last night, with my issue list. They reviewed it all and told me the new software is supposed to be a complete update for all system components, but they didn't have any further details. I was told it may even resolve my rough 1-2nd rough shift. It seems from being on this forum, I knew as much if not more then they did. Ford has them in the dark just as much as we are.

They also told me that they don't have it yet. They didn't even know it had been officially been released. I hope this is really it. The sad part was that they told me even if they had it, they don't have the hardware to do the update yet. I'm wondering if its just this magic dual female USB cable.

Picked it up today. Everything (that I can tell) works well except making/receiving calls from my bluetooth phone. It connects fine but the audip is scrambled garbage. Contacts and all other phone info transferred fine and signal is fine so dunno. Gonna keep working on it and see what happens. Will report on the rest as we drive it more. Reaction is decent on the screen but at times (seems like certain functions) it lags. Other times it's instant. Still crazy impressive tech.

Picked it up today. Everything (that I can tell) works well except making/receiving calls from my bluetooth phone. It connects fine but the audip is scrambled garbage. Contacts and all other phone info transferred fine and signal is fine so dunno. Gonna keep working on it and see what happens. Will report on the rest as we drive it more. Reaction is decent on the screen but at times (seems like certain functions) it lags. Other times it's instant. Still crazy impressive tech.

IMO I dont think you have the update we are all waiting for. Supposedly ford has put a hold on all new vehicles built from being shipped out due to this new update. Since this new update hasn't been rolled out to dealers yet it is very unlikely to be installed on vehicles in the customers possession as of yet. I just hope that ford rolls this update out soon!

Might be, just know what showed on SyncMyRide was the different version (the later one someone posted on here) and not the original version. It was built the week of 11/8 (2 weeks ago) so not sure. Hope there's an even newer more fixed version that'll correct the bluetooth phone issue we're having!!

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly! Your sync is "not working and it needs to be re-flashed or something and by the way did I mention that the sync site says to take it into a dealership to get it flashed? Just thought you should know"

New to this Forum ---

We bought our 2011 Ford Edge about a month ago. We had test drove several and finally decided on a particular one that had the features that we wanted. Dealer located it and brought it from another dealer, right off the truck so they said.

Nav system kept erroring out, would just not work, it seem the whole block where the SD card for the Nav and the USB plug in would go dead. Wouldn't read anything. Tried resetting a few times, Fuse #29. It would work for a little while, then go out, come back on by itself. Dealer actually seemed to be working with us quite a bit. They spoke to Ford and Ford was "working on a fix". They called a few days ago and wife took it in last Monday and they did the update to apparently the Gen 2. Nav and USB certainly work not and have not gone off at all.

However, yesterday, the phones would not Sync via bluetooth at all. Next morning it worked. Also, basic FM radio RDS is different now than what it was before. It does not put data in the same place as Sirius or HD Radio. (it's in the upper right corner vs. middle of screen) I don't like this, it was not this way before they did the upgrade. When on home screen with Radio on Basic FM, it says "no program" instead of and RDS data as it did before the update. Will monitor for a bit, but will have to take it back in I'm sure. Hopefully this will just be an update that I can perform vs. the dealer.

P.S. Our dealer bought us a rubber mat for the back and wound up paying our first month's note. Not too bad for a little aggravation.