Base SE 2011 Radio Add Ons

nextime

Is there any ford kits out there where I can add Phone to my stock radio? I have the Phone button but no Phone hardware installed.

Hi nexttime. :D Genuine Ford Accessories used to have an available kit to add Bluetooth capability to pre-SYNC vehicles. I have not checked lately so do not know if it is still available. I do not know if it would enable the "phone" button or not, but it made Bluetooth connectivity possible.

You can check the Genuine Ford Accessory website or with your local Ford Dealers parts Department for availability.

There are also aftermarket (non-Ford) options available.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Fords accessory website sucks, barely anything listed for the 2011. I know there has to be a kit/update for the radio cause why would they have the buttons on it if it wasnt an option?

Hi nextime. :D I understand your frustration. However, if Ford had an accessory kit available at this time, it would be listed on the Ford Accessory website. If you want to research further, check with Ford and/or your local Dealers Parts Department.

Essentially, with the introduction of "MyFord" and "MyFord Touch" in the 2011 models, the dashboard layout and vehicle electronics differ greatly from the 2010 and earlier models. Therefore, the previous SYNC and Bluetooth accessory kits are probably not compatible with the 2011 models (or not certified as compatible yet). That does not mean they won't add one for the 2011 SE/SEL in the future, but for now it means Ford does not offer one.

Concerning the buttons, akirby gave you the correct answer. The same unit that is in your SE is also used in the base SEL, which like the SE, also has MyFord (but no SYNC) standard. However, SYNC is an option on the SEL. So they are not going to produce two different units, they just equip the SEL with the proper components, electronics and programming for SYNC. But the phone button is present either way, but Ford does not yet offer the components necessary for SYNC/Bluetooth as a compatible accessory for 2011's.

Hopefully, Ford will add an accessory package in the future, or you can go aftermarket.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Well it is an option on the radio so they should have components for it. They are not going to put buttons "Sirius" and "Phone" on a Radio that would never work nor never intended to work.

Hi nextime. :D Again, I understand your frustration, but the information we have given you is correct. If it is not listed on the Ford Accessory website, then there is currently no Ford Accessory kit available to convert your 2011 SE to SYNC or Bluetooth.

If you feel the information we have given you is incorrect (although we have no reason to lie to you), it would be better to check with Ford or your Dealer for further information.

Please let us know if you find a Ford Accessory kit available.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

It also doesnt show that you can add the higher end radio system to the vehicle either on the Website, however I bet it can be added if you buy the correct parts.

I used to work at a Ford dealer, just cause accessories are not "Listed" for the general consumer to see doesnt mean they are not an option that can not be installed.

Just cause you dont see parts listed on the Website does not mean they are not available.

Hi nextime. The parts are available, but Ford does not sell them as a Ford Accessory kit. Whether you choose to believe us or not, there is no kit currently available. The information provided to you is not only from the website, it is information directly from Ford. We mention the website so you can check for yourself.

Currently, your only option would be to find out on your own all of the missing components, electronics and programming that would be necessary to convert your SE, then purchase them individually, open up your dash and install them (thus causing possible future Warranty issues since it is not a Ford kit). If you wish to do that, you certainly can.

But again, instead of debating the issue with people who know the answer and are only trying to help you, check directly with Ford or your Dealers parts department. If they tell you otherwise, then we were wrong.

Good luck.

Exactly the parts are available so it can be upgraded. So they dont have a kit but the parts that Ford sells if put together and installed will make it a kit. I dont see how it would void the warranty if they are Ford parts that were originally intended on going into a Ford car for a certain type of radio.

I never said I didnt believe you all but seriously Do you really believe this one radio that Ford made was never intended to have Sirius or Phone on it but Ford had them put buttons on it just to piss of people?

Where did you get this info directly from Ford.... Did you call or email them yourself and how do you know all the answers? Just curious?

• Like 1

Is there any ford kits out there where I can add Phone to my stock radio? I have the Phone button but no Phone hardware installed.

Hi nextime. Above, I have quoted your first post. As everyone can see, your specific question was "Is there any ford kits out there where I can add Phone to my stock radio". The answer to that question, as we have explained, is no. There is no Ford Accessory kit available yet for the 2011.

Yes, we all know that the parts are available individually, since Ford must have them to build new vehicles and perform Warranty repairs on defective ones. That is a "no-brainer". But let's be honest, that was not the question you initially asked.

You are now discussing an entirely different question/subject. You now are wondering what components, electronics and programming would be necessary to purchase to add SYNC. Then installing them yourself or having a Ford Dealer/someone else them.. If you wish to search out all of the parts and do that, you can certainly do so. But by definition, that is not a "Ford Accessory kit". It is not even a kit. It is purchasing individual parts that may or may not actually accomplish what you are trying to do. Additionally, you need to understand that not all "parts" are readily available for purchase by customers through Ford Dealers or online parts sellers. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

So that leaves us with the fact that the "parts" you need/want are not currently available in a Ford Accessory Kit. Also, if you can determine everything that is needed and order the necessary components, it is a relative certainty that the total cost of those individual parts (plus the reprogramming of your current audio unit) will not be cheap . Most likely costly enough that it would have been more sensible to purchase an SEL equipped with SYNC in the first place. But for whatever reason, you chose to purchase an SE which is not available with SYNC at all. That was your choice when you purchased, I am sure you had your reasons and I understand/respect that choice.

Now concerning the Warranty question? Some of us here are quite familiar with Warranty policy. But to reassure yourself, ask your Dealers Service Department about any Warranty issues involved with what you are contemplating. They will inform you of any problems.

Concerning how we know these answers: The simplest explanation is that many of us have been here for some time, you are not the first person (or tenth) to ask these questions, we try to help others and take a certain amount of pride in assuring we provide correct answers.

Concerning the buttons on the radio? We explained why, as it is common automotive industry practice, but you don't like the answer. Unfortunately, as those of us here for some time know in situations like this, there is nothing more to say that will convince you otherwise. So when you get those buttons working, be sure to let us know.

The bottom line is, since you used to work for a Ford Dealership, you certainly must have some connections that you would trust to help explain all of this to you. They can also hep you compile a list of the individual components, electronics and programming necessary to accomplish what you want.

Please understand, we are trying to help you and no one is trying to give you a hard time, but this is a dead-end discussion that can be drawn out forever. I do wish you the best of luck in your search.

Please post a list of all of the parts/components when you find out. And if you install it yourself, maybe you can do a "How-to" write up. It will certainly help others who may wish to do what you want to try.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

So cause you been here for a long time makes you some kind of know everything to answers, not to sound cocky but I have been on other forums for years and I never claimed to be an expert or even saying I know all the answers cause I learn everyday and have been proven wrong many times. I been on other forums where there have been moderators and other members on for years and dont know jack. I am new here so how am I supposed to believe you just cause you got over 1000 posts, you could just be a post whore that likes to help but not always correct, what is your expertise in the Ford background or is it only limited to forum posting?

Like I said I used to work at a Ford dealer and I know things are for sale even though the general public does not know about them.

And as being a industry standard making a radio (the only base radio offered) with buttons that dont work and never intended to work is preposterous. The base radio is the only radio like this, the next upgraded radio is a totally different unit with a bigger screen (have you even seen the 2011 radios)? Show me your facts on this please where Ford never intended on these features for the base radio please.

So I used the word "kit" loosely just because I wanted to know if it could be upgraded and it can be upgraded. They do sell the parts but not as a kit, you could of just said they sell the individual pieces instead of highlighting the word "kit" that i used loosely.

So cause you been here for a long time makes you some kind of know everything to answers, not to sound cocky but I have been on other forums for years and I never claimed to be an expert or even saying I know all the answers cause I learn everyday and have been proven wrong many times. I been on other forums where there have been moderators and other members on for years and dont know jack. I am new here so how am I supposed to believe you just cause you got over 1000 posts, you could just be a post whore that likes to help but not always correct, what is your expertise in the Ford background or is it only limited to forum posting?

Like I said I used to work at a Ford dealer and I know things are for sale even though the general public does not know about them.

And as being a industry standard making a radio (the only base radio offered) with buttons that dont work and never intended to work is preposterous. The base radio is the only radio like this, the next upgraded radio is a totally different unit with a bigger screen (have you even seen the 2011 radios)? Show me your facts on this please where Ford never intended on these features for the base radio please.

So I used the word "kit" loosely just because I wanted to know if it could be upgraded and it can be upgraded. They do sell the parts but not as a kit, you could of just said they sell the individual pieces instead of highlighting the word "kit" that i used loosely.

Hi nextime. I (and akirby) have been completely courteous and tried to help you. Unfortunately you don't care for the answers and are now being argumentative with someone who was only trying to help answer your question. And on the subject of your question, I certainly can not be blamed for how you worded it. I have not been rude in the least.

But now, let's stop beating a dead horse and put the "kit" question aside: Since you are certain that all of the parts must be available for purchase (and they very likely are "available", but they will be expensive), call your Dealership and do so. Just stop by/call your Dealership or contact an online Ford parts seller, ask them what you need to add SYNC to a 2011 Edge SE and order it. There is nothing else any us us can do to help at this time.

If no one else jumps in with the answers you are looking for, contact your old Dealership and see if they can help.

We have honestly tried to help, so please try not to be rude.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Please answer my first paragraph since you have been so vocal with posting and trying to help me even though the question I asked was asked the wrong way, I apologize for that. Like I said I am not trying to be rude or Cocky nor argumentative I just want to know your Ford technical status since you help so many here. I will share mine if you ask.

Please answer my first paragraph since you have been so vocal with posting and trying to help me even though the question I asked was asked the wrong way, I apologize for that. Like I said I am not trying to be rude or Cocky nor argumentative I just want to know your Ford technical status since you help so many here. I will share mine if you ask.

Hi nextime. As a hard and fast rule, I do not discuss my professional status on the Internet. Nor do I ask the professional status of others over the Internet. In all seriousness, Internet claims can not be verified, so it is silly/fruitless to do so anyway.

If you are here on the Blue Oval and Ford Edge forums long enough, you will be able to determine soon enough who is helpful and/or ca be depended on for accurate information.. You can also check the profiles of other members (including mine) to see how they have assisted others in the past.

It is obvious at this point that we are not connecting, so it probably better that we politely part ways. So while I will not bother you with my advice or assistance in this thread anymore, I will gladly help you in the future if you wish..

I truly do wish you luck in modifying your Edge.

Yes technical skill claims can not be verified over the Internet but they can eventually be proven if somebody worked at a place you claimed and verified info posted was wrong so I can understand why you will not release info.

I have worked at a Ford Dealership for 3 years doing Maintenance work along with vehicle repair, I have worked at Oldsmobile and Subaru Dealerships also at a Local Goodyear chain, Been an Assistant Manager for 3 years at a local now closed(bought out) small Jobber parts chain that supplied parts to Major Automotive repair centers. I have restored a few Cars, tore down and pulled engines and installed engines, did electrical work and Transmission work. I also install Tattle Tale/GPS tracking systems in fleet vehicles all over the Midwest. I have installed Custom stereos in many cars.

I havent been in the Automotive field since 1994 so I know less about the new OBDII Systems than I would like to admit but I am still helpful in many other ways cause I can still diagnose some issues on vehicles.

I have nothing to hide. I posted my Automotive background.

• Like 1

Things have moved quickly in the automotive industry since the last time you worked at a Ford dealership. Ford has been putting "buttons that don't work" on radios for some time now. My wife's 07 Mariner has a SAT button but no satellite module or antenna (though I think it is available as a kit). Many of Ford's 2008 and newer (Escape, Flex, Taurus, Fusion) models all have phone buttons that are present even when Sync is not installed. These phone buttons "don't work".

From the Edge shop manual, here is a description of the components:

All audio systems have the following functional components:

Audio Control Module (ACM)

Front Controls Interface Module (FCIM)

Speakers (see Audio Line-Up for locations)

Antenna, located at front of roof

AM/FM antenna cable

Steering wheel controls

Steering Column Control Module (SCCM)

The following functional components vary by vehicle option content:

Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), located behind and directly connected to the Front Display Interface Module (FDIM)

FDIM

Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM)

Global Positioning System Module (GPSM), located behind the instrument panel

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Audio Digital Signal Processing (DSP) module (THX® or Sony® sound), located behind the RH rear quarter panel

Audio amplifier (Premium or THX®), located behind the RH rear quarter panel

Satellite radio antenna cable

Audio input jack

Media hub

Microphone, located in the headliner

So ultimately you need to add the microphone, media hub, satellite antenna, steering wheel controls, GPSM, FDIM and APIM to get full Sync functionality. I can also tell you with 99% confidence that the wiring harnesses will not be there to connect all these modules, so you'll need to rewire everything. Then you have to figure out how to reconfigure all the other modules to communicate with the new modules, as they are all networked together.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

Come on akirby, is that all you are going to post? You havent posted one helpful comment yet, at least bbf2530 I can give respect to since he was giving me some intelligent answers and carrying on with an intelligent discussion with me. You have posted at the most were one sentence replies that really had no merit that anybody with no technical skills could have posted. All of the other posters on this thread were actually very helpful and I can respect their comments. Your comments are like a post whore trying to get your post count up so you seem useful.

Now if you dont have anything positive to add akirby please do not post. Show your technical skills and not your useless skills.

bbf2530 you have earned my respect.

In other words.........no.

Nextime you have a question try not to attack the people trying to help you.

• Like 1

Come on akirby, is that all you are going to post? You havent posted one helpful comment yet, at least bbf2530 I can give respect to since he was giving me some intelligent answers and carrying on with an intelligent discussion with me. You have posted at the most were one sentence replies that really had no merit that anybody with no technical skills could have posted. All of the other posters on this thread were actually very helpful and I can respect their comments. Your comments are like a post whore trying to get your post count up so you seem useful.

Now if you dont have anything positive to add akirby please do not post. Show your technical skills and not your useless skills.

bbf2530 you have earned my respect.

HA! "Post Whore"

I love it! If there is anyone that attacks posters...Kirby is the one. He has been been attacking me since I've been here. He thinks his opinion is the only correct opinion.