2011 AWD Ford Edge - Fixed the leaky PTU?

mindwarp

I'm seriously considering the Edge.

However, I have cruddy luck when it comes to hardware. If there's a piece of equipment or hardware with a semi-common occurence of a poor issue, I'll usually be one of the unlucky buyers that experiences it. As such, when it comes to cars I've decided to avoid the the vehicle if it's anything major (like this). Plus, from what I hear one of the early indicators is a burning scent, but I lack the ability to smell so I'm afraid I won't notice until it's too late.

So, is the issue resolved with the 2011's?

Anyway, what I'm considering:

2011 Ford Edge SEL

AWD

Bordeaux Red

Spec 202A

Navigation stereo upgrade

NO sunroof/moonroof

Edited by mindwarp

• 5 weeks later...

Well just like many of you I have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD. Great car other than this problem. It started in Sept of 2009 but no smell only a leak. Now for me it is a little more complex as I am in the US Air Force and I am based in Germany. The warranty is covered here at the local European Ford Garage, but it takes longer to get parts. So after about 30 days, $500 worth of rentals, and 4 visits to 2 different garages...The first garage said nothing was wrong. The second garage said there was a problem and replaced the seal kit twice then replace the entire PTU. Now a year later and I have both the odor and the leak(noticed it on the snow today). so now i must take it in to the German Ford Garage and hassle through the language barrier again to try and get my car fixed. it now has just under 40,000 miles and is just over 3 years old. thankfully it is still under the power train warranty!

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot say definitively if they have fixed it but by default this forum suggests they have. What do I mean? Well go back a couple of years and it was one of the big thread lines. Do you see them now? Do you see any ongoing threads from people who have had them repaired using the "last" ford solution? Make your own conclusion.

I cannot say definitively if they have fixed it but by default this forum suggests they have. What do I mean? Well go back a couple of years and it was one of the big thread lines. Do you see them now? Do you see any ongoing threads from people who have had them repaired using the "last" ford solution? Make your own conclusion.

Appreciate the answer, but doesn't quite give me that warm fuzzy feeling :)

Appreciate the answer, but doesn't quite give me that warm fuzzy feeling :)

I would guess that it is way to early to say conclusively if it is fixed or not. But any model year has the chance to fix something or to make something worse. Live life. If you like the car - buy it on that alone. You never know what each car will bring, but if you live on maybe - you might as well stay with the car you have and know.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where under the vehicle is this puddle and what does the fluid look like for reference please?

I just took my 2012 Edge AWD to dealership for a leak under engine. They just called and suspect leaking PTU. No specific area, under front of vehicle, sort of all over in dime to fifty cent size drops. Fluid is much more viscus then engine oil. 1,300 hundred miles and touch/sync, power liftgate and PTU are having issues, not a good sign. I guss I should have bought the Lexus RX350. post-19901-0-97961400-1323374243_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

It's not fixed in mine. I have a 2011 with about 25K miles on it. I had a leak just bad enough to stain my driveway, then a grinding noise one day. I took it to the dealer. The PTU is shot. Thankfully they say it's covered under warranty. However, there are apparently 776 of them on backorder. There is no delivery date for new parts. My basically new car (I bought it certified preowned with 20K on it) is a brick sitting at the dealer. They put me in a bottom of the line Focus as a loaner car. I'm not happy about any of this one bit.

This is obviously a known problem going back years. I'm two weeks into this debacle, I'm very unhappy with Ford so far.