MyFord touch nightlight

Bummed! I went out to the Edge this morning and the battery was dead. As I'm setting up the charger to try and salvage it my neighbor tells me when he got home he saw my interior glowing. Asked if I left my interior lights on? So apparently my nightlight fordtouch went all night till the battery gave up. What surprised me most was that there's no battery saver technology built in. Just so bummed out right now.

Bummed! I went out to the Edge this morning and the battery was dead. As I'm setting up the charger to try and salvage it my neighbor tells me when he got home he saw my interior glowing. Asked if I left my interior lights on? So apparently my nightlight fordtouch went all night till the battery gave up. What surprised me most was that there's no battery saver technology built in. Just so bummed out right now.

Actually there is "battery saver technology". I was in my edge the other night getting to learn the system with the car on but not actually running and burning gas. After about 15-20 minutes I got a pop up on the nav say system will be shut down due to low battery, then it had like a loading bar and it started to shutdown. I was quite impressed. Although I have gotten that white screen issue and I think the reason why it doesnt shut down is because sync doesn't recognize the system and being on but the screen is just lit up.

So after the car was shut off the screen turned on by itself and drained the battery?

No the problem is, when you turn off the car the screen goes white. If you dont lock your doors I believe the screen stays on. But maybe he locked the doors and the screen just never shut off (thats what caused the battery drain)

No the problem is, when you turn off the car the screen goes white. If you dont lock your doors I believe the screen stays on. But maybe he locked the doors and the screen just never shut off (thats what caused the battery drain)

OK. I see, but that's crazy. I'm having second thoughts about the Edge. I think I will wait awhile to see if they fix all these issues.

I think the problem is if you lock your doors and then returned your vehicle the screens light up regardless of whether you relock your doors. I always lock my doors no matter where I park and I've had the screen stay lit in the parking lot of my workplace. This time unfortunately I wasn't able to catch it before it drained my battery. The screens may have remained on for 12+ hours or however long it took to kill the battery.

I think its just a glitch that happens every now and again. If you lock the car after driving and shutting off the engine, then immediately unlock the door (maybe Because you forgot something ) then the screens light up again. Sometimes after relocking the doors a second time the screens never shut down. It doesn't happen everytime, but its happened a few...and this time it bit me.

I think its just a glitch that happens every now and again. If you lock the car after driving and shutting off the engine, then immediately unlock the door (maybe Because you forgot something ) then the screens light up again. Sometimes after relocking the doors a second time the screens never shut down. It doesn't happen everytime, but its happened a few...and this time it bit me.

Which model Edge do you have? My 2011 Limited has battery saver technology. The car came with a little remote to activate it. I assumed this was standard feature on all models.

For the rest of us, looks like we need to visually glance at the screen when exiting the vehicle now. Bummer, just another worry to have with the new car.

I wonder if using the alarm remote to lock the doors rather than touching the handle has an impact on this one way or the other.

There is no remote to activate Battery Saver - it's always on and is standard. Which remote are you referring to?

I'm referring to the remote in the attached picture. LOL.

Obviously it's not the "Battery Saver" feature of the car, after looking up what that is. This might be a dealer add-on to my vehicle. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, "sure start" or something along those lines I think. I'll have to look in my papers for the car when I get home.

In essence, there's some kind of special attachment, or maybe it's even the battery itself that maintains a locked reserve of battery juice that's enough to always allow you to start the car. It came with this remote, which I keep in the glove box. If the battery is ever dead, I can supposedly click the remote to unlock the reserve power and start the car. There's supposed to be a manual way to do it on the battery as well.

I'm a little annoyed with myself for not having the instructions to it in the glove box. It seemed simple enough after reading them to not need to keep them in there, but looking at the remote now, I don't understand why there is a lock and an unlock button on it.

I'll post more details if interested once I get home and can check the documentation.

post-2338-095959700 1291067862_thumb.jpg

Obviously it's not the "Battery Saver" feature of the car, after looking up what that is. This might be a dealer add-on to my vehicle. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, "sure start" or something along those lines I think. I'll have to look in my papers for the car when I get home.

In essence, there's some kind of special attachment, or maybe it's even the battery itself that maintains a locked reserve of battery juice that's enough to always allow you to start the car. It came with this remote, which I keep in the glove box. If the battery is ever dead, I can supposedly click the remote to unlock the reserve power and start the car. There's supposed to be a manual way to do it on the battery as well.

I'm a little annoyed with myself for not having the instructions to it in the glove box. It seemed simple enough after reading them to not need to keep them in there, but looking at the remote now, I don't understand why there is a lock and an unlock button on it.

I'll post more details if interested once I get home and can check the documentation.

I didn't get one of these...

That is definitely an aftermarket add-on.

That is definitely an aftermarket add-on.

Yeah, apparently so. The fact that it had a second remote should have been a clue to me.

I can't even find the documents that came with it, and still can't recall what it was called. Guess I'll have to call my dealer and ask. Seems like a nice add-on to have in light of the Ford's built-in "battery saver" is apparently buggy to some small amount.

Yeah, apparently so. The fact that it had a second remote should have been a clue to me.

I can't even find the documents that came with it, and still can't recall what it was called. Guess I'll have to call my dealer and ask. Seems like a nice add-on to have in light of the Ford's built-in "battery saver" is apparently buggy to some small amount.

Check the remote carefully. It should have the name. I did a search for Sure Start but it didn't have a remote.

So to update my saga, No flatbed ever arrived yesterday and after several calls to Ford Roadside Assistance I was finally connected to the private contractor towing service. They told me they would send a wrecker over to jump start the battery. After I explained that it was much more than a dead battery and that the dealer wanted the vehicle, the woman on the other end of the phone says "Yeah, well jump start your car, and you can drive it to the dealer yourself". The wrecker came and after 44 minutes connected to the tow truck my edge finally started. (Not before lots of reboots, flickering screens, etc) I made sure to let ford know this just in case i run into a fried electrical system (From this jump start) down the road.

I guess this kind of took the bloom off the rose for me.... Plus Ford didn't impress with their choice of towing companies to work for them. It would serve Ford well to screen these companies better. Im sure someone will jump in and tell me that its not Fords fault that they have lousy tow contractors, but this experience overall just shows that customer service and going the extra mile for customers, even on big ticket items is a thing of the past. Although, my wifes Roadside assistance from Lexus was top notch when we had to use it, so come to think of it, maybe it is Ford.:angry:

Dealership called and said, we dont know why your edge died. (I told them why, but why would they trust that a customer has more figured out then the service manager?) But the battery is holding a charge and you can come pick up your junk, i mean your truck.

Edited by Edgieguy

Actually there is "battery saver technology". I was in my edge the other night getting to learn the system with the car on but not actually running and burning gas. After about 15-20 minutes I got a pop up on the nav say system will be shut down due to low battery, then it had like a loading bar and it started to shutdown. I was quite impressed. Although I have gotten that white screen issue and I think the reason why it doesn't shut down is because sync doesn't recognize the system and being on but the screen is just lit up.

This part scares me, are you telling me that only after 15-20 min it was telling you your battery was low? No wonder Edgieguy's batt died! So I guess the Edge isn't Drive-in movie compatible, without starting your car every 15 min?

This part scares me, are you telling me that only after 15-20 min it was telling you your battery was low? No wonder Edgieguy's batt died! So I guess the Edge isn't Drive-in movie compatible, without starting your car every 15 min?

No - it doesn't mean that your battery is low. Just that after sitting in Auxilary mode for so long, it tells you that it is turning of in 5...4...3...2...1 - in case you aren't really still sitting in it doing something.

The screen killing the battery has nothing to do with the battery saver.

So to update my saga, No flatbed ever arrived yesterday and after several calls to Ford Roadside Assistance I was finally connected to the private contractor towing service. They told me they would send a wrecker over to jump start the battery. After I explained that it was much more than a dead battery and that the dealer wanted the vehicle, the woman on the other end of the phone says "Yeah, well jump start your car, and you can drive it to the dealer yourself". The wrecker came and after 44 minutes connected to the tow truck my edge finally started. (Not before lots of reboots, flickering screens, etc) I made sure to let ford know this just in case i run into a fried electrical system (From this jump start) down the road.

I guess this kind of took the bloom off the rose for me.... Plus Ford didn't impress with their choice of towing companies to work for them. It would serve Ford well to screen these companies better. Im sure someone will jump in and tell me that its not Fords fault that they have lousy tow contractors, but this experience overall just shows that customer service and going the extra mile for customers, even on big ticket items is a thing of the past. Although, my wifes Roadside assistance from Lexus was top notch when we had to use it, so come to think of it, maybe it is Ford.:angry:

Dealership called and said, we dont know why your edge died. (I told them why, but why would they trust that a customer has more figured out then the service manager?) But the battery is holding a charge and you can come pick up your junk, i mean your truck.

Thanks for your Edgieguy. No vehicle owner should have to put up with this kind of performance. I hope you find another dealer. The Ford dealer that screwed me in 1978 has seen me drive 9 new vehicles (of other brands) around their lot since then. Thanks Soerens Ford.

My question is for anyone. If the Edge computer starts up when you unlock the doors and gets scrambled when you lock and unlock the doors too often, what do you do when you check into a motel and unload your baggage? When I unload bags, I make several trips to the lot and lock the doors in between. Would this fry my computer? Is it something to avoid? Do we have to wait outside the vehicle to make sure the computer goes off each time?

My question is for anyone. If the Edge computer starts up when you unlock the doors and gets scrambled when you lock and unlock the doors too often, what do you do when you check into a motel and unload your baggage? When I unload bags, I make several trips to the lot and lock the doors in between. Would this fry my computer? Is it something to avoid? Do we have to wait outside the vehicle to make sure the computer goes off each time?

The computer doesn't actually "start up" until you put the vehicle into accessory or start the engine. The lock/unlock action simply lights up the display. When I lock the vehicle, I watch for the screens to go dark. I haven't had them stay on long. It appears that if you shut off the car, get out and don't lock it, the screens stay on longer. Lock it and everything dims pretty quickly.

-steve

Check the remote carefully. It should have the name. I did a search for Sure Start but it didn't have a remote.

I did scrutinize the remote, no name, but I also found the document card that came with it (picture attached).

It's definitely SureStart. They must use some standard off the shelf remote, because the instructions talk about the connect/re-connect buttons, but the actual remote has a lock and unlock button. I'm not sure which will act as connect, LOL.

Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

On the other hand, since the SureStart disconnects the battery from the car, this may serve as a very useful feature if the MyFord Touch/Sync system gets screwy and needs a fuse pulled. I could just disconnect the battery with the remote! No more crawling and contorting to get to the fuse box. Maybe I can actually put my fuse cover and kick panel piece back in place. :-/

Original Poster: Damn, that tow truck story you just posted really sucks. Hopefully the system was damaged by the bad attempts to jump start. 44 minutes?!!?!? After five they should have just towed.

post-2338-081211000 1291239474_thumb.jpg

Edited by DistortedEdge