Detailed Edge

With the really mild weather lately, it gave me a chance get my new Edge detailed and ready for the winter months. I got it washed, clayed, polished, and sealed today. I'll be letting the sealant cure for the next 24 hours and will then be applying Dodo Juice Light Fantastic carnuba wax. Products used were;

Poorboys World Super Slick & Suds

ClayMagic Fine Grade

Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish

Menzerna FMJ Sealant

Poorboys World Wheel Sealant

Dodo Juice Light Fantastic carnuba wax

DSC_5902.jpg

DSC_5903.jpg

DSC_5904.jpg

DSC_5905.jpg

DSC_5906.jpg

DSC_5907.jpg

DSC_5901.jpg

DSC_5910.jpg

DSC_5908.jpg

Shane, it looks great! I am posting the link to my writeup (it's verbose, LOL). I like your wheels. Chrome and easy to clean. Mine are going to be tougher with the narrower spokes. It looks sharp in white. Are you gonna tint your glass?

Yep, I plan on tinting the glass in the spring. Probably gonna end up with 30% as I don't want to go too dark. Are you going to tint your MKX?

Yep, I plan on tinting the glass in the spring. Probably gonna end up with 30% as I don't want to go too dark. Are you going to tint your MKX?

The timing of your question is perfect. I had it done today. It is a perfect match to the factory tint on the other window. I think he said it's 25% although I don't remember the number. He had just done another '11 yesterday. It looks great. I love the look of the tinted glass on white cars. Yours will look fantastic when it's done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the purpose of the clay bar on a new vehicle? You think you could do a step by step write up on how you detailed your Edge?

Claying a new vehicle is essential to remove all of the bonded contaminants (ie. rail dust, etc). If you move your hand across your paint surface and feel lots of little bumps, those are bonded contaminants that a regular will not remove. That is where clay bar comes in. It's like an eraser for your paint so to speak. I clay my vehicles at least twice a year, and sometimes more if certain road conditions warrant it.

I'd be more than happy to write a detailed step by step on claying if the members want it. Just give me a few days and I'll post it up. :)

Claying a new vehicle is essential to remove all of the bonded contaminants (ie. rail dust, etc). If you move your hand across your paint surface and feel lots of little bumps, those are bonded contaminants that a regular will not remove. That is where clay bar comes in. It's like an eraser for your paint so to speak. I clay my vehicles at least twice a year, and sometimes more if certain road conditions warrant it.

I'd be more than happy to write a detailed step by step on claying if the members want it. Just give me a few days and I'll post it up. :)

A detailed write up would be awesome, also a question on these Chrome Clad wheels. What would you suggest as the best way to wash/clean then protect for least amount of Break Dust clean-up. I am already seeing some brake dust residue that is really hard to remove, I probably have more miles then most on my Edge at this point, already over 6,200..

Thanks

A detailed write up would be awesome, also a question on these Chrome Clad wheels. What would you suggest as the best way to wash/clean then protect for least amount of Break Dust clean-up. I am already seeing some brake dust residue that is really hard to remove, I probably have more miles then most on my Edge at this point, already over 6,200..

Thanks

I use P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner and Poorboys World Wheel Sealant. Wheel wax is another good one, however I find the Poorboys World wheel sealant and a little easier to use. It's great protection for your wheels and does reduce the amount of brake dust.

Edited by CanuckG35

Thanks Canuck. I really need to get on my truck. It will need to be compounded then go from there. I have only used a clay bar once and that was to remove overspray on my wifes S-10 she had. Now just gotta convince the boss to get the needed cleaning supplies to keep our new ride nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cleaned up our Edged today following the how to on detail image. I now have 3 wash buckets. One for the car wash, one is the rinse bucket, and one for the wheels and tires. Got all of the snow and salt off that had been on it. It turned out great. Still need to polish it and put a sealant on it. I did use my spray detail when wiping it down. Here are the picks of it all cleaned up. They are also in my gallery. Thanks to Canuck for all the tips so far.

p1291045.th.jpg

p1291046.th.jpg

p1291047.th.jpg

p1291048.th.jpg

p1291042.th.jpg