USB Music Skipping/Locking Up

Has anyone else had this issue? Recently our new Sport has started to lock up for a few seconds then skip to the next music track when listening to songs on the USB drive. (Mind you this drive worked well for a couple weeks) I tried troubleshooting by replacing the thumb drive with another new one, same issue. Then I looked at the music types and thought maybe it was the wma music so I switched to only MP3s, same issue. Then I thought maybe it was the specific music and listened to it on my MP3 player and PC with no issues on either. It likes the whole sync just pauses for a couple seconds then usually comes back and skips to the next song. Very annoying to say the least. Any thoughts?

This happened for me for the first time last night. This morning I formatted my thumb drive and reloaded it with my music to see if that would make a difference. I've only listened to 3 or 4 songs but no skipping, but then I've not had it out of the driveway today so I'll have a better opportunity to see later today when I'll be in it for a bit.

I'm experience this issue as well. I was using my first gen Zune with about 15gb of music on it and it was working great. Then out of nowhere it just hangs on a song. Nothing would get the music playing again - I tried disconnecting the Zune and reconnecting it and shutting the car down to no avail. Sync eventually crashed and rebooted and when it came back it played the Zune for a while but ultimately froze again. I've replaced the Zune with a USB HD for now.

The USB freezing/skipping is happening to me as well with an Edge Limited that I just picked up on December 28th (ordered in mid November). I've got the latest build of the Sync system as well.

It doesn't happen often thankfully but it does happen. I have no fix other than to get annoyed and go back to the song I was listening to.. I haven't experienced any of the lockups, Sync reboots, etc, that others have reported so I'm hopeful that the Sync update addresses those.

I've also noticed that the Sirius radio will sometimes freeze for a second or two and then come back. Usually that happens when you go under a bridge or something but this seems to happen in the wide open as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Having this issue with a 2011 Edge LTD. We have had it back to the dealer several times and have received every software update they could find to put in. At one point, the music locked up as we were pulling in at the dealer. They were able to run tests and determined that the USB port module was bad. It was replaced but the problem did not go away. As of our last dealer visit, they said Ford had no idea what the problem is and they would call us when they found something. As others have done, we tried different drives with no success. One thing that we have noticed is the navigation screen freezes for the same length of time that the music pauses, so maybe its a computer problem instead of being in the sound system. We passed that info on to Ford, but it didn't help find a solution.

The more we operate our Edge, the more we learn about what is and is not working when the radio pauses. In addition to the music pausing, and the navigation screen freezing at the same time, the backup camera screen also freezes at the same time as the music. You better be paying attention when this happens because the proximity warning tones are not working either. If you’re relying on those to keep from hitting the car you’re parking in front of, things could get embarrassing pretty quickly. Recently it appeared that the blind spot warning system also was not working when the radio paused. There was a car close, but I could not be sure it was in the range where the system should have warned me. We will be watching for an opportunity to verify if this works during a pause or not. These situations make you wonder if other safety systems like the anti-lock brakes are on hold also.

Edited by Spooki11

• 3 months later...

For everyone that has been putting up with this problem, the answer seems to be here. We recently had several updates including tsb11-07-24 installed on our 2011 Edge Ltd. Since that time there have been no music skips while playing from a USB device. We're using a 500GB USB hard drive that is about 1/2 full of music and it is handling the device well. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!

For everyone that has been putting up with this problem, the answer seems to be here. We recently had several updates including tsb11-07-24 installed on our 2011 Edge Ltd. Since that time there have been no music skips while playing from a USB device. We're using a 500GB USB hard drive that is about 1/2 full of music and it is handling the device well. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!

Spooki11, can you link to the TSB or check the number? I cannot find it. I am curious. I had the USB skipping issue a few days ago. It came and went, and everything is working now.

I'm one of the few still riding around with Sync 2.4, so I was considering upgrading to 2.11. Maybe this is my motivation. lol

Thanks for the info Spooki11. Here is our situation, our '11 Edge will be at the dealer's next week.

A couple of days ago the sound system (playing an usb/sd card) would simply quit and then resume all by itself. It did this 3 or four times and then yesterday I got the system message "Microsoft performing system maintenance". This morning the sound failed twice and one more "Microsoft" message. This afternoon, I started the car and the screen went blank and then the following message appeared "System Fault 10.10.2008". The touch screen was dead as was the phone, navigation system, backup camera, radio volume, basically anything controlled by the touchscreen. I could still get the radio to play using the steering wheel controls, but only one station on either FM1 and FM2. The cd player worked but you could not forward/reverse to another song After 10 minutes or so the screen came back on and eventually the phone re-connected. We arrived at our 2nd shopping stop and upon restarting, the same screen as above and no screen functionality.

I sent the above to Ford, no reply yet.

Check out the black screen of death!

post-11526-0-88797900-1315502964_thumb.jpg

In March I used the program Mp3tag to add cover album art to every mp3 song. That worked well until recently and I have noticed the system has noticeably slowed down. Earlier today I had the suspicion that displaying the album cover art was causing Sync some problems so I copied all the mp3 songs from my Kingston 8gb to the PC harddrive and then reformatted the usb stick. Next I used Mp3tag to remove all the album art from the songs and then recopied them back to the usb stick.

Went for a drive and had to wait a while for Sync to reindex the usb. Eventually, when it showed the correct # of songs and began playing at #1, I asked "Frantic Ford" to play song "The River". She repeated back a different song. So I asked her again and this time she simply went away and the display showed song 0 and of course, no sound. I pressed the left side of volume control to advance the song and it began playing. A song later - pause, play again - pause, skip to new song. So much for my hunch. As I got out of the car I pressed the master system reset. Tomorrow we are driving East about 2 hours so I will report whatever the results are.

I can confirm that when a song pauses the backup camera does too - I almost crunched my garage door and no proximity warning!

Hi everyone! Here is the Ford TSB I mentioned. Not sure about the "black screen of death"? We didn't experience that one. There seem to be lots of things that don't happen when the music pause happens, like the navigation screen also freezes, as does the back up camera screen and the proximity warning tones don't sound. It appeared that the blind spot warning system was also not working during the music pause, but I never could verify that. Anyway, since the last update we have not had any of the above happen.

tsb11-07-24.pdf

Edited by Spooki11

Hi everyone! Here is the Ford TSB I mentioned. Not sure about the "black screen of death"? We didn't experience that one. There seem to be lots of things that don't happen when the music pause happens, like the navigation screen also freezes, as does the back up camera screen and the proximity warning tones don't sound. It appeared that the blind spot warning system was also not working during the music pause, but I never could verify that. Anyway, since the last update we have not had any of the above happen.

Thanks Spooki11. I am getting this USB skipping time to time. Not driving me nuts, but I figure I'll get it fixed.

Contents of an email I received from Ford regarding the "black screen of death". Hopefully usb problems will be cured by this update.

"I apologize for the issue that you are having with the My Ford Touch system in your vehicle. I have done the research and show that you have a very outdated version of the SYNC system installed. The most current version would be Gen2 2.11, and you are running Gen2 2.3. There has been an update released to your local dealership to correct the problems that you are having. I would highly suggest that you contact your dealership to set up an appointment to have Gen2 2.11 installed."

Contents of an email I received from Ford regarding the "black screen of death". Hopefully usb problems will be cured by this update.

"I apologize for the issue that you are having with the My Ford Touch system in your vehicle. I have done the research and show that you have a very outdated version of the SYNC system installed. The most current version would be Gen2 2.11, and you are running Gen2 2.3. There has been an update released to your local dealership to correct the problems that you are having. I would highly suggest that you contact your dealership to set up an appointment to have Gen2 2.11 installed."

I have Sync VersionGen2 - V2.11 and my USB music still skips and I still have daily problems with USB album art and Sirius

I have Sync VersionGen2 - V2.11 and my USB music still skips and I still have daily problems with USB album art and Sirius

Was USB skipping & album art "features" that 2.11 was supposed to fix?

2.11 is not a fix for all problems, it's just a patch that is trying to stop some of the hemorrhaging.

The real fix is said to be coming next year :doh: