rattle in rear area of MKX

2007 MKX with vista roof. There is a rattle that has appeared at 1900 miles. I've checked the seats, plastic panels, and spare tire covers. Made sure it is not the spare tire covers by

adding foam insulation. Still got rattles! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cobra

2007 MKX with vista roof. There is a rattle that has appeared at 1900 miles. I've checked the seats, plastic panels, and spare tire covers. Made sure it is not the spare tire covers by

Thanks,

Cobra

UPDATE: Problem Solved!

With the Vista roof open there is no rattle, Closed there is a rattle. Problem is the black plastic bezel around the open rear window. Seems it just touches the inside of the rear glass and rattles going over washboard type road serfaces. Felt with adhesive backing placed along top of plastic bezel solved the problem.

This probably isn't applicable to this specific problem, but here is something I found out that's good to know.

Several times I've heard a rattle in my Fusion that sounded like it was coming from the right rear passenger area. Each time it turned out to be a loose passenger sun visor. It's amazing how the sound gets reflected and appears to come from the right rear. So much so that I've actually checked the rear door for loose parts, even though it's happened 3 times already.

I suggest having someone sit in the rear seat to verify the location of the rattle. Acoustics can be very tricky.

This probably isn't applicable to this specific problem, but here is something I found out that's good to know.

Several times I've heard a rattle in my Fusion that sounded like it was coming from the right rear passenger area. Each time it turned out to be a loose passenger sun visor. It's amazing how the sound gets reflected and appears to come from the right rear. So much so that I've actually checked the rear door for loose parts, even though it's happened 3 times already.

I suggest having someone sit in the rear seat to verify the location of the rattle. Acoustics can be very tricky.

Agreed. Sounds tend to travel around inside a vehicle. We had someone sit in the back seat and that was the way we isolated the rattle.

Cobra

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

Cobra

I have the same rattle on my 3day old Edge and I'm not exactly sure where your description of the black platic bezel is located. Could you be more precise or take a pic where the rattle source is? Thanks.

I have the same rattle on my 3day old Edge and I'm not exactly sure where your description of the black platic bezel is located. Could you be more precise or take a pic where the rattle source is? Thanks.

I answered in your original post about your rattle, but here ya go....

Open the sunshade and then get in thd back seat. look up through the rear vista roof panel and there's a piece of black trim that goes around the under side of the glass. It's held in with double sided tape and it it's loose, will hange lower than it should be and rattle over bumps. On ours, I just pushed it back into place and pressed down all the way around the trim to make sure it was stuck down good. others may need to add more double sided tape.

I answered in your original post about your rattle, but here ya go....

Open the sunshade and then get in thd back seat. look up through the rear vista roof panel and there's a piece of black trim that goes around the under side of the glass. It's held in with double sided tape and it it's loose, will hange lower than it should be and rattle over bumps. On ours, I just pushed it back into place and pressed down all the way around the trim to make sure it was stuck down good. others may need to add more double sided tape.

Thanks for the fast response...I see what you are talking about..I pressed mine back in place also and will monitor it to see if it becomes loose again.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the fast response...I see what you are talking about..I pressed mine back in place also and will monitor it to see if it becomes loose again.

Take it back to the dealer. My 2 month old Edge has the same problem and I've pushed it back in place a dozen times. It still rattles. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it for a day and now it rattles again. I'm going to try the dealer again.