Transmission axel seal

2009 SEL FWD 44925 miles

I just had an oil leak diagnosed as drivers side axel seal leaking.

The seal had to be ordered, should be at dealer late tomorrow.

I'll take it in Wednesday for the seal fix.

Will add to this thread when its done. stats.gif

The seal was replaced in one day even after the wrong seal was initially ordered.

All in all the dealership did a good so far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

The seal was replaced in one day even after the wrong seal was initially ordered.

All in all the dealership did a good so far as I can tell.

I have an 07 with 46000 and my passenger side leaked. took it in and they had it for 2 weeks. Get it home drive it for 3 days and here come the drops of oil again. cross your fingers.

I have an 07 with 46000 and my passenger side leaked. took it in and they had it for 2 weeks. Get it home drive it for 3 days and here come the drops of oil again. cross your fingers.

Don't feel bad. Mine has been repaired 5 times and leaking again. I'm waiting for fix #6. Zero confidence. Ford doesn't want to fix this problem because it is a design issue that only affects a small portion of people and woudl rather spend the money repairing them until they are out of warranty and off the road.

Don't feel bad. Mine has been repaired 5 times and leaking again. I'm waiting for fix #6. Zero confidence. Ford doesn't want to fix this problem because it is a design issue that only affects a small portion of people and woudl rather spend the money repairing them until they are out of warranty and off the road.

That doesn't explain the folks who have had theirs fixed with no new leaks, or the lack of failures on the new models.

The first attempts at repair were not successful and the final repair process requires a bit of skill by the technician to do it correctly. If you had a recent repair that still isn't working then you probably need to find a new dealer who can do it correctly.

That doesn't explain the folks who have had theirs fixed with no new leaks, or the lack of failures on the new models.

The first attempts at repair were not successful and the final repair process requires a bit of skill by the technician to do it correctly. If you had a recent repair that still isn't working then you probably need to find a new dealer who can do it correctly.

I wish it was that easy to find a new dealer, but the next large dealer is 90 miles away and owned by the same owner as mine. Other dealers are still 60-100 miles away and very small, so I wouldn't expect their techs would have any more experience with it, plus history shows they don't particularly want to work on a vehicle another dealer sold unless they absolutely have to, so service will probably not be that great. I guess that is what you deal with living in MT. I hope most do get repaired and that it holds, I've been a Ford fan my whole life, but I also understand how corporate greed works, and that isn't typically good for the customer. From what I've been reading, the problems do persist on new models up through 2010 at least. Mine happens to be on 08.

I wish it was that easy to find a new dealer, but the next large dealer is 90 miles away and owned by the same owner as mine. Other dealers are still 60-100 miles away and very small, so I wouldn't expect their techs would have any more experience with it, plus history shows they don't particularly want to work on a vehicle another dealer sold unless they absolutely have to, so service will probably not be that great. I guess that is what you deal with living in MT. I hope most do get repaired and that it holds, I've been a Ford fan my whole life, but I also understand how corporate greed works, and that isn't typically good for the customer. From what I've been reading, the problems do persist on new models up through 2010 at least. Mine happens to be on 08.

That sucks, but I don't see where corporate greed has anything to do with it. It was an engineering problem and/or a part problem. Unfortunately the procedure to fix it is more complicated than other repairs and some technicians had trouble following the procedure. Ford authorized multiple repair attempts and even replaced some PTUs entirely. It was an engineering/parts disaster for sure but I don't think Ford cheaped out on the repairs.

• 5 weeks later...

akirby = Would like to preface anything I post as being constrcutive criticism and not sheer negativity. I do like the Edge, short of its colassal issue(s).

I respect you like Ford and the Edge: However, my last (3) yrs of doing business with Ford (not dealer) has proved lacking. It is very apparent Ford needs 'better skilled' techs out there, because there appears to be a lot of faulty repairs being done with this PTU failure/defect. As for all teh fixes that have 'stuck' for any extended period of time; I would be willing to bet that they are southern (warm) state cars. The cold simply triggers this failure more often than not.

And for any customer service from ford, nonexistent. Whatever business model they're are implementing with this Edge debacle stinks from the get go. Definitely not building lasting customers. Not sure how they can skirt BBB and lemon law (at least in MN) when the powertrain is still applicable, and the vehicle qualifies per letter of the law.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a 2007 Edge from Auction Direct with less than 30K on it. Took it to my mechanic who immediately noticed a leak form the right side shaft seal. Called Auction Direct and made an appointment to have it repaired. They called and advised that it was still covered by the Ford warranty and to take to a Ford dealership. In six weeks of ownership it has had 3 new shaft seals. The last time it was at the dealership was 3/25/2011. They advised that Ford was having issues with the current supplier for the shaft seal and have changed to a new supplier but will not have any available until 5/2/2011. I now have to wait until mid May to get this fixed.

Can anyone verify the story about the supplier change?

Has anyone been successful in getting Ford to extend the warranty for this issue due to the problems they are having?

I like the vehicle but am worried that I have bought a lemon and am destined to have this problem until I get rid of it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Newbie here---I have a 2011. Back in Sept with about 6000 miles on it - began smelling an odor like natural gas when it was hot and usually on longer trips, - the axle seal mentioned in this thread was replaced and so far I'm up to 12,600 miles - and ok, but now getting the "tranny thump" 2 problems may be related with each other?.. I read in another thread about TSB 11-12-10 for thump. I will be heading back in to get them to look into that now.

Edited by EdgeeOne