2011 SEL/LMTD - Painted front/back lips/side rocker panels?

spocket

Totaled my previous car last week; Looking to buy a new 2011 Edge. Can't afford the "Sport" trim, so I am looking at a SEL or LIMITED version... but I really do not like the black textured front/rear lips and side rocker panels especially on a light colored car.

Can the lips/rocker panels from the SPORT be ordered/painted and installed to replace the black unpainted ones?

Or is the front/back bumpers of the "Sport" edition in 1 piece requiring a full bumper change?

Anybody done that yet?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

The 'Sport' kit lists out for approx $8500 (employee cost) last I checked - and it would still require painting.

I've ordered a new 2011 Ltd. and it should arrive next week. My plan is to smooth and paint the textured lower cladding to match as I too dislike the look on a lighter colored vehicle (I ordered Platinum White).

I'll be sure and post pictures when I'm done.

your cheapest way to get the sport look would use the rocker molding and door bottoms from 3D carbons 2007-2010 edge body kit, about $500 on the internet. the front lower valance can be swapped directly with the paintable sport models, as can the lower rear valance. then, either get a new grill or paint your existing grill tuxedo black. The textured plastic that Ford uses for the unpainted lowers is not suitable for painting. even once prepared it releases some type of oil or resin which creates paint adhesion problems. get primed paintable parts from the beginning and save yourself the headache and expense.

your cheapest way to get the sport look would use the rocker molding and door bottoms from 3D carbons 2007-2010 edge body kit, about $500 on the internet. the front lower valance can be swapped directly with the paintable sport models, as can the lower rear valance. then, either get a new grill or paint your existing grill tuxedo black. The textured plastic that Ford uses for the unpainted lowers is not suitable for painting. even once prepared it releases some type of oil or resin which creates paint adhesion problems. get primed paintable parts from the beginning and save yourself the headache and expense.

I ordered my Edge LTD in Earth Metallic, and before I took delivery, I had the dealer install the Piano Black grill (like the Sport). Next stop was my buddies body shop where I had all the lower black cladding removed and painted to match the rest of the car. I'm happy with my one of a kind Edge !

I run a body shop - thus painting the lower cladding is a far easier and more economical route for me versus the 3D carbon body kit. We've had a lot of success color matching lower claddings on other vehicles - it just requires the right procedures and products to be used.

Would love to see your photos as well. I had a piece of trim from my 2008 prepped and painted in an attempt to create my own Sport version back then, the paint soon began to flake. It was prepped again and resprayed but we couldnt get paint to stick well. Maybe it was just the wrong product? Maybe the plastics have changed? Very interested in seeing everyones results with this.

I run a body shop - thus painting the lower cladding is a far easier and more economical route for me versus the 3D carbon body kit. We've had a lot of success color matching lower claddings on other vehicles - it just requires the right procedures and products to be used.

Can you clarify the correct process for painting the lower cladding? Listing the products as well (which type of primer, cleaner,paint, etc) So far as I know it is:

1) remove parts from vehicle

2) clean with warm soapy water

3) dry throughly

4) scuff with a scotch brite pad

5) warm the part

6) prime

7) paint

8) clear coat

9) reinstall

I ordered my Edge LTD in Earth Metallic, and before I took delivery, I had the dealer install the Piano Black grill (like the Sport). Next stop was my buddies body shop where I had all the lower black cladding removed and painted to match the rest of the car. I'm happy with my one of a kind Edge !

So G, am I reading this correctly or not? I thought you have the truck painted already with the black grill installed?

Can you clarify the correct process for painting the lower cladding? Listing the products as well (which type of primer, cleaner,paint, etc) So far as I know it is:

1) remove parts from vehicle

2) clean with warm soapy water

3) dry throughly

4) scuff with a scotch brite pad

5) warm the part

6) prime

7) paint

8) clear coat

9) reinstall

I will follow up with my paint rep. to confirm the adhesion promoter and primer/surfacer that is recomended for these plastics.

On mine I will be sanding the texture completely smooth as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I will follow up with my paint rep. to confirm the adhesion promoter and primer/surfacer that is recomended for these plastics.

On mine I will be sanding the texture completely smooth as well.

I don't run a paint body shop, but my friend does. Adhesion promoter as you stated, but ALSO a flex agent that will allow the paint to flex with the plastic. If any movements were to occur in the plastic itself the paint will not chip/crack due to vibration and pressure, (as easily)

My 1994 Volvo 850's plastic body trims have been body matched in this fashion. I will probably do the same to the Edge.

Question: I plan to buy out at the end of a lease... will there be any complications at lease-end that anyone can think of?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here's the final result...

The lower rocker claddings are still missing... I had to order new clips as there was no way to remove them without them breaking...

Phenomenal job on this. I was just re-reading this thread. I might've gone for the Limited if I saw something like this before buying my Sport. I had a body shop try this on a piece from my 2008, and it didnt work well. Maye if my 2008 came out perfect like yours I never would have gotten a 2011 at all? Anyway, this is something I really want to consider doing to the Explorer we just got. If the wife wants it that is.

I really like the black painted portion of the visor, good idea!

Are you planning on doing the mirror bases? It would really complete the look.

I thought about it... but I think it would be too much white.

I would think that it would compete to much with the glass - especially once I have the front windows tinted to match the back.

• 1 year later...