Sync Services in Canada

Funny how you see all these great ads, salesmen talk and websites filled with all the flashy sync apps.

Then after you actually buy the vehicle you find out the sync add on's like weather, movies, stocks, are not available in Canada.

I am right or am I just missing something?

Just part of being Canadian, paying more and getting less.

Funny how you see all these great ads, salesmen talk and websites filled with all the flashy sync apps.

Then after you actually buy the vehicle you find out the sync add on's like weather, movies, stocks, are not available in Canada.

I am right or am I just missing something?

I don't think you are missing anything. I would love to be able to use google maps to select a destination and download it to my Nav. system. I have checked the maps used by Ford and for some areas they are at least 5 or 6 years out of date as compared to google maps (before anyone jumps to hard on this, I have actually taken some towns & cities that I know and compared the maps). This is why I will still use my Garmin Nuvi. Even Garmin's maps (navteq) are not as good as google or mapquest. I am sure the Nav System in the ford is good for large cities. Someone mentioned it worked well in Washington, DC.

I don't think you are missing anything. I would love to be able to use google maps to select a destination and download it to my Nav. system. I have checked the maps used by Ford and for some areas they are at least 5 or 6 years out of date as compared to google maps (before anyone jumps to hard on this, I have actually taken some towns & cities that I know and compared the maps). This is why I will still use my Garmin Nuvi. Even Garmin's maps (navteq) are not as good as google or mapquest. I am sure the Nav System in the ford is good for large cities. Someone mentioned it worked well in Washington, DC.

Well its just so annoying that all this is paraded in front of you as being part of the system, Then Bam! only until you register online do you find that its not available here in Canada.

Do you think we have any recourse ? Can we complain to someone and maybe get some sort of rebate?

The best part is, that no one came forward and told the reason for not providing the sync service in Canada.

You will not receive any explanation from neither a dealer nor even directly from Ford Canada.

if this sync had the ability to stream apps from your phone how great would that be. Or why cant Sync make a deal with apps like "Poynt" how hard can that be.

Does anybody know where to start to email ford for suggestions?

if this sync had the ability to stream apps from your phone how great would that be. Or why cant Sync make a deal with apps like "Poynt" how hard can that be.

Does anybody know where to start to email ford for suggestions?

I suppose one could complain to Ford Canada Customer Service. It's no point complaining to the dealers. Going into google maps there are 3 listed cars you can sync to (In Canada that is)..Audi, BMW and one more, not sure which one but it's not the Ford Edge. I did a comparison of streets in this town (large town) and I couldn't believe how old the street maps were...(actually for 4 streets about 8 years behind) then I checked with google maps and everything was up to date. I think I'll update my Garmin Nuvi where I can download routes from Google or Mapquest directly into the gps.

Maybe more Canadians should voice their opinions on this forum and some ideas may come forth...providing the moderator doesn't object...personally I don't care for forums that are full of complaints but 'opinions' & suggestions would be useful.

I agree.I only found out once we got the car that all we saw on the adds is not available in Canada.Could we call this False advertisement?

Maybe more Canadians should voice their opinions on this forum and some ideas may come forth...providing the moderator doesn't object...personally I don't care for forums that are full of complaints but 'opinions' & suggestions would be useful.

Ford is not even concerned enough to bother offering an official explanation as to why Canadians don't receive any Sync services (not to mention Sirius Travelink services) other than 911. How's that for contempt? Though I don't see them as under any pressure to ever provide them until their competitors offer them in Canada.

My suggestion to improve matters would be to stop buying Ford vehicles in Canada. From what I've read, Sync services do work in Canada in vehicles purchased in the U.S. (and the warranty does as well...). It is the dealerships in Canada which can exert real pressure on Ford, not the customers.

Edited by Ctrl-z

Ford is not even concerned enough to bother offering an official explanation as to why Canadians don't receive any Sync services (not to mention Sirius Travelink services) other than 911. How's that for contempt? Though I don't see them as under any pressure to ever provide them until their competitors offer them in Canada.

My suggestion to improve matters would be to stop buying Ford vehicles in Canada. From what I've read, Sync services do work in Canada in vehicles purchased in the U.S. (and the warranty does as well...). It is the dealerships in Canada which can exert real pressure on Ford, not the customers.

Well you know when you are about to leave the dealership and the salesman does his last smilely pitch and dam near begs you to fill the survey card out rating him excellent that you will get in the mail .

This is where i will be writing something down!!. Its the sales that are the front line. They know whats going on and they need to hear from us!. How many of them told you about the sync problems and the services that weren't available? When i mentioned the sync problems and the black screen his face went blank, He new exactly what i was talking about. I was buying the car anyways but it was nice to see him squirm for a while.

From what I've read, Sync services do work in Canada in vehicles purchased in the U.S. (and the warranty does as well...). I

This is wrong, Sync services does not work in Canada on a US vehicle. Well that is unless you are within about 2km of the border (connecting through a US cell tower), or if you are already connected when you enter Canada and don't hang up. However if you try to do any GPS related function while in Canada (under either of the two above conditions) it will come back with an error. Also if you want to find a destination in Canada while you are in the US it will not work.

Basically Sync Services just doesn't have any data on Canada. Not sure why, but it's probably more to do with the providers of the data than it is with Ford. Sirius Travel Link isn't offered in Canada because Sirius doesn't have contracts with anyone in Canada to provide data for weather and traffic. Ford is not a big enough player to convince Sirius to make a special contract just for them, so until the market for the service is bigger, there won't be any data available.

That's the funniest thing I've read this week. Sales doesn't have a clue about any of the technical issues on the vehicles.

+1

I couldn't agree more. The sales guys know what's told to them and what's in the brochure...if your lucky! Especially with new technology such as this, there are too many other exciting options for them to catch on to what isn't available. I had to prove my sales guy wrong on several items when I was in discussions with him. If you did your homework before buying, there was info available that stated these services were not available in Canada. I think its sh!tty that they aren't, but I can't complain too much as I knew about it when I bought my Edge. I'm just crossing my fingers that this changes as the MFT becomes more popular and gets installed in more vehicles.

This is exactly want I mean. Either the sales people are so stupid and they dont know much about there products or they, or some of them do know more that they are letting on to.

Either way if more informed customers went in and complained about the problems or misleading advertising, then walked out, maybe that would force Ford to step up.

• 1 month later...

I had 3 Volvo XC70 in 11 years. I was about to buy the XC60 when I realized I could have the technology I'm looking for with Sync. In Volvo the systems are not well integrated.

So I've ordered the Lincoln MKX (I know this forum is about Edge but Sync is the same)

It is a huge disappointment to know that Travel Link is unavailable in Canada. I should have been more specific in what I was asking to the salesman.

But what is done is done.

Now the big question: Is Travel Link going to be available in Canada anytime soon?

As far as I know, we could at least get the weather and traffic in the Southern Canada. So Ford / Sirius should really let us choose.

But the other big question is: how many canadian buyers won't get a Ford Edge or Lincoln MKX just because travel link is unavailble? I wish I knew, I could have told the salesman Travel Link is part of what I was looking at. When the salesmen will feel they can lose one and two and many more customers they will be complaining, I guess they will. I can be wrong. But us canadians, as someone else said we pay more to have less.

Edited by tolendal

As far as I know, we could at least get the weather and traffic in the Southern Canada. So Ford / Sirius should really let us choose.

When it comes to US content, the CRTC regulates what is allowed, not Ford or Sirius. The only traffic data Sirius gets in Southern Ontario is from the MTO, so no 400 series highways, which makes it pretty much useless. The weather data would just be the closest US station.

Edited by Waldo

I had 3 Volvo XC70 in 11 years. I was about to buy the XC60 when I realized I could have the technology I'm looking for with Sync. In Volvo the systems are not well integrated.

So I've ordered the Lincoln MKX (I know this forum is about Edge but Sync is the same)

It is a huge disappointment to know that Travel Link is unavailable in Canada. I should have been more specific in what I was asking to the salesman.

Now the big question: Is Travel Link going to be available in Canada anytime soon?

But the other big question is: how many canadian buyers won't get a Ford Edge or Lincoln MKX just because travel link is unavailble? I wish I knew, I could have told the salesman Travel Link is part of what I was looking at. When the salesmen will feel they can lose one and two and many more customers they will be complaining, I guess they will. I can be wrong. But us canadians, as someone else said we pay more to have less.

All you did was order? If you didn't sign papers saying you bought it, what is done is certainly reversible. Your order of a vehicle does not require you to purchase it. Unless things are different in Canada regarding that.

I was under the impression that sending maps from Google Maps to the Sync system was over data lines and not voice lines, so you are the only one that was a bit mistaken. Having said that, I am confident that the developments in the SYNC functions should bring about the functionality I am seeking. If it doesn't come around, I will walk away at lease end. For you however, it seems like this has something to do with legal and regulatory issues. But I feel all is not lost for you. Do some more homework and determine if you really want the car right now, and if not, don't sign the papers.

Good Luck

We must live in the same area more or less. I took delivery of an 11 MKX December 1, 2010. The lack of Travel link did not stop me from getting the vehicle. There are enough other features to make the purchase more than justified IMO.

All you did was order? If you didn't sign papers saying you bought it, what is done is certainly reversible. Your order of a vehicle does not require you to purchase it. Unless things are different in Canada regarding that.

I was under the impression that sending maps from Google Maps to the Sync system was over data lines and not voice lines, so you are the only one that was a bit mistaken. Having said that, I am confident that the developments in the SYNC functions should bring about the functionality I am seeking. If it doesn't come around, I will walk away at lease end. For you however, it seems like this has something to do with legal and regulatory issues. But I feel all is not lost for you. Do some more homework and determine if you really want the car right now, and if not, don't sign the papers.

Good Luck

I signed the paper. But if it does matter a little, not having Travel Link is not the end of the world after all. I keep asking the dealer to send my comment to Ford Canada. As soon as I get my PIN I will create an account on syncmyride. There is a new iphone app, Sync destinations. It's only available in US, again. Too bad. The kindle was unavailable in Canada for years. As soon as Kobo and other competitors came out, Kindle came in. I guess Ford at some point will have to make a move.