2011 EDGE CENTER CONSOLE TRAY: GONE !!!

I can't believe that anyone has to spent 1 minute or a penny on making one of these shelves after spending up to 35000 for the Vehicle. What was ford thinking?

The shelves are a good idea, but my only problem is , when you lift up the shelve and if you have small items on the shelve, Isn't it all going to fall into the abyss?

I can't believe that anyone has to spent 1 minute or a penny on making one of these shelves after spending up to 35000 for the Vehicle. What was ford thinking?

The shelves are a good idea, but my only problem is , when you lift up the shelve and if you have small items on the shelve, Isn't it all going to fall into the abyss?

Ā 

Now that I've had this installed for about a month now, I really love it. There have been times where we need to get to our portable navigation device under the shelf and we find ourselves taking things off it before we remove the shelf. I think a good solution would be to build in little walls around the shelf to keep things in place when you lift it or velcro to keep the more perminent things in place (a bit extreme though). All in all, it hasnt been that big of an issue for us to modify it further.

Ā 

Some of us just enjoy "customizing" things. I suspect Ford designers originally created the space to hold large objects like CDs.

Edited by rwolson

• 1 month later...

Very cool. I really like the lip design. It's almost like a his and her side lol. When I get some time to make another one, I think I will do the same with mine but with smaller trim pieces. I just want to be able to pull it out without everything falling off the shelf. I like the handle idea! Probably helps get the shelf in and out easily. Good job!

Ā 

Post another picture after you finish it.

Yeah, if you look at my design, I knotched out the area for the coin track. It makes it considerably easier to pull out. Be sure to make the notch long enough when you consider how much you need to tilt the shelf when pulling it out...if you go that route.

Wow Dingo, this is by far the cleanest fabrication for this mod that I have seen. I absolutely love how you integrated the handle at the top. Is the top surface non-slip? Looks really great.

Thanks, man. No, it's definitely not non slip. You could always get a big sticky pad and cut out a non slip liner, though.

Ā 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00020H1T6/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1338458292&sr=8-3

I can teach you how to do it yourself... :)

Ā 

Start with one of these and one of these. Pick up a piece of whatever ribbon you'd like. Score the plastic repeatedly with a sharp knife. Once it's about half-way through, just snap it on the score line. Lightly attach the ribbon to the back of the plastic with school glue and tape. Apply the rubber over the ribbon, using a roller to keep bubbles out. Trim the rubber to final size around the plastic. Done.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it. Just got my 2012 Edge yesterday and was Googling solutions to managing that cavern of a bin. I will be building a shelf.

That coin holder is a joke! The edge is replacing my 1997 Grand Prix (yes, I have had it for over 15 years) which has a great coin holder. As luck would have it, it has slots in the back which fit perfectly into the grove in the side of the bin. I am keeping the 15 year old coin holder to use in my new edge. (see pictures)

Ā 

Ā 

http://www.cr-ar.com/t/coin1.jpg

http://www.cr-ar.com/t/coin2.jpg

Edited by scottr303

Last week I built the divider/trey as described in previous posts. I found some black foam core board which was easy to cut and seems to be holding up well. I added some slim 1/8 strips to the bottom and partially up the sides to hold things in as I lift it to access below.

Ā 

Thanks for the tips.

• 4 weeks later...