2011 EDGE CENTER CONSOLE TRAY: GONE !!!

I was surprised FORD Engineers did not design and supply a center console accessory tray in the 2011 Edge. All prior years have one. In 2010, the Console part number is 046A78, however there was a design change for the center console, and now not only do they call it a 'deep well', but they did not design a removable tray for it.

The tray both holds and keeps organized >Phones, mp3 players, etc and lets the coin holder rest on it, aided by a 1/4 inch foundation around the interior perimeter, but it also hides pertinent stuff deep in the well. Poof ! gone in 2011. Even the MKX does not offer one.

Solution: Get a old style clipboard. You know the type, on one end is a big clip to hold papers, and the base is made of a brown looking woody composite called "MASONITE". Yes, it's the same stuff peg board for youyr shop is made out of. The cool part of Masonite, is it is thin, will not warp, and is strong enough to hold stuff.

I cut off the paper holding clip, measured a trapezoid with the dimensions : 8 3/4" long, then 4 3/4 " on one end, and 5 1/2" on the other. Cut it out with a band saw, skill saw, etc, and sand the edges smooth all over. AT ONE END, cut a 1" x 1/2" "U" out to be able to slip your finger in to it to remove it.

Get some black satin, fuzzy material, etc and spay glue it on the Masonite tray.

Result: Now you have a concealable deep well, and a strong lightweight accessory tray for the 2011 Edges and MKXs.

TO FORD: Thanks for leaving the 1/4 inch interior perimeter foundation in the console area, but please HAVE A HEART TO HEART TALK WITH THE IDIOT ENGINEER WHO SHORTED ALL THE 2011 OWNERS OF THE TRAY.

• 5 weeks later...

post-12640-025398400 1301618357_thumb.jpgpost-12640-077370000 1301618476_thumb.jpgpost-12640-081068800 1301618560_thumb.jpg

First and foremost, KUDOS to Razorback for this project. Good for me on a rainy weekend.

How I made it:

The dimensions razorback gave were spot on. I used 3/8" 5-ply plywood instead of the "masonite" for this project. I also used a pretty stiff black felt to cover all side except the top, for that a used a piece of black leather. Used "Loctite" vinyl , fabric and plastic flexible adhesive to attach all fabric, worked great...purchased all supplies from craft / hobbie store for around $30.00, the piece of leather was the most expesive item, $13.00. I also reduced the dimensions 1/16" all around to accommodate the felt thickness. Drilled a 3/4" hole 1-1/2" from the drivers side and top for the finger pull plus a 3/8" deep x 1-3/4" wide notch on the top for the power outlet cover clearance. I can still remove the tray without removing the coin holder, not shown in pictures for clarity. the hardest part was attaching and trimming the fabric, just take your time its easy. All pictures are showing the top side.

Thanks again Razorback, and good luck to others who fabricate.

• Like 3

Yep I am doing that mod.

Yes....great mod....Thank You! I practiced using a spare piece of foam board I had laying around and spayed glued a .49 cent piece of black felt on it. Looks and fits great and believe it or not, I think the foam board covered in felt is more than durable enough. I will enventually make it out of wood.

Edited by john747

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I summoned my limited woodworking skills this afternoon for 5 minutes and cut myself a shelf for the console. I used a scrap of masonite and cut a 1 1/2 hole in the leading edge to allow for the wires and fingers.

I've been planning to do this mod, but my list grows and the additions always seem to fall in front of this one in terms of priority.

Mind sharing a pic and sparking some extra inspiration? :lol:

Here are a few snapshots of my novice Prototype project. I think it would look nicer if I spent 12 minutes as opposed to 10 minutes on it.

I like the fact that I don't have to unplug my USBs to remove the shelf. I drilled a 1 1/2 hole near edge then cut the opening with a hack saw. Yes. A hack saw. It was handy.

(These shots really hi light the lame coin holder. Do you see any coins in the coin slots?)

EDIT:

I really like the shelf. Before I never wanted to use the ABYSS. You could loose your first born in that massive compartment.

Now I can keep my junk below and keep my frequently used stuff organized.

I used some Masonite bead board that I had left over from my kitchen remodel.

post-9129-0-85656700-1314745153_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-26746600-1314745165_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-73679400-1314745175_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 3

I made one of these shelves out of a chunk of ABS plastic a few weeks ago. I don't like to hear things rattle around so I covered it with automotive carpet along with the bottom of the coin tray. Ford should hang it's head in shame for leaving out this cheap little tray. I don't see how anyone can get by without doing this simple mod!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few snapshots of my novice Prototype project. I think it would look nicer if I spent 12 minutes as opposed to 10 minutes on it.

I like the fact that I don't have to unplug my USBs to remove the shelf. I drilled a 1 1/2 hole near edge then cut the opening with a hack saw. Yes. A hack saw. It was handy.

(These shots really hi light the lame coin holder. Do you see any coins in the coin slots?)

EDIT:

I really like the shelf. Before I never wanted to use the ABYSS. You could loose your first born in that massive compartment.

Now I can keep my junk below and keep my frequently used stuff organized.

I used some Masonite bead board that I had left over from my kitchen remodel.

Bump for a great idea.

Thanks

Spiff

• 5 months later...

Thanks for this thread! I just made mine today. Cost me $4.60 for all materials and time spent at the wood shop. Just got sheet foam to cover the top, sadly they didn't have black. Darkish blue was the closest thing to a man's color they had there lol. Thanks everyone for all your input on the design.

Here is how it turned out:

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Cellbine

Thanks for this thread! I just made mine today. Cost me $4.60 for all materials and time spent at the wood shop. Just got sheet foam to cover the top, sadly they didn't have black. Darkish blue was the closest thing to a man's color they had there lol. Thanks everyone for all your input on the design.

Here is how it turned out:

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

Looks good. Now I have another project to add to my list.