Retro solutions HID's

So, i drop over $300 and buy Retro Solutions, HID's for my highs, lows, and fogs,... Because "supposedly" retro solutions HID's are the best, and because they are on this site quite often. I've had the HID's on my vehicle for about 2-3 months now, and from the beginning, one headlight (high and low's) would sometimes not work. I would have to turn the lights off, then back on, sometimes several times to get it working. I called retro solutions and they said try replacing the fuse that comes with the kits, and admitted that it was crap and cheap. Still didn't fix the problem. So, the other day i notice a wire that was detached from a little capacitor that runs in-line with my ground. So, i'm thinking this might have been the problem from the beginning. I e-mail Retro Solutions about the problem, and attach pictures. They tell me, "Here's the link to the part you need to buy to fix it." The part I NEED TO BUY!!!?!?! I ask about a warranty. They say, "The wiring carries a different warranty term, and excludes environmental factors though. Very sorry about that."

So, all of this was a aftermarket mod, hence the reason it is posted here. I also wanted to bring this to everyones attention and advise if you are in the market for HID's, that you purchase them NOT from Retro Solutions, since they can't even warranty a FREAKIN' $8.00 PART!!!!

I'm off my soap box now.

Cannon

post-4293-044336000 1298875056_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loosecannon

Amen cannon ! I could not agree with you more. Their kits are garbage, their warrantys are garbage, and if something goes wrong with the kit it's your fault because you "installed it wrong". I cannot emphasize enough for anyone to stay far, far away from retro-solutions. I had the same exact issue...lights would fire and driver side would always go out. Actually, I would advise against any HID kit be installed on the edge due to the pulsed electrical system. I was actually the one who pioneered the Edge specific harness after trial and error with their cheap overseas garbage kit. All the connections were loose in the wiring.....what a nightmare! STAY AWAY FROM RETRO-SOLUTIONS !!!!.

Edited by akirby
name calling

Amen cannon ! I could not agree with you more. Their kits are garbage, their warrantys are garbage, and if something goes wrong with the kit it's your fault because you "installed it wrong". I cannot emphasize enough for anyone to stay far, far away from retro-solutions. I had the same exact issue...lights would fire and driver side would always go out. Actually, I would advise against any HID kit be installed on the edge due to the pulsed electrical system. I was actually the one who pioneered the Edge specific harness after trial and error with their cheap overseas garbage kit. All the connections were loose in the wiring.....what a nightmare! STAY AWAY FROM RETRO-SOLUTIONS !!!!.

I don't suppose you have, or sell this harness your talking about, do ya? I'd love to add it to my current HID's. Would it fix my problem? Otherwise, i suppose i can just turn my headlights off and on to fix the problem,... just is annoying when i'm driving down the highway at night.

Glad you share my view on Retro's products, and service.

Cannon

Your right Akirby,.. i edited the last sentence out my post as well. It didn't need to be there. I feel the rest of my post needs to be viewed by other members tho. Thanks

Cannon

Thanks but that wasn't directed at you. And Thinline has been suspended temporarily for name-calling in another thread on top of numerous previous issues including this one.

Sorry you guys have had troubles with these kits. I bought mine on here because there were some good reviews, we will see I guess. I've had no problems yet. I don't know if they upgraded their kits, but mine had good quality plugs,relays,fuses...can't see inside a ballast, but overall looked quality and I 've been a RV tech for 30 years with a fair amount of electrical experence.... If mine turns to crap, :censored::censored:

Edited by yogregb

And the lies start again.... you told us verbatim via email that you installed it directly to the factory wiring after we told you not to.... what did you expect to happen???

WHAT!?!?!! I installed the lights EXACTLY the way YOUR directions said too. Period, end of story on that. The part was defective,.. no biggy, shit happens. But have better Public relations and support, and warranty the STUPID $8.00 PART!!!!!!!!!!

-Cannon

Despite that, we still sent the part to you free of any cost, did we not?

Yes. Yes you did.

After i i went ahead and complained, and then PAID for the part. All of this mess should not be where it is currently at. Especially over a $8.00 part, that you NOR I have proof was damaged by "the environment". I think the part wasn't properly sealed when it came in the package to begin with personally.

Aside from that defective part, and the light going out and not working occasionally, i really like the HID's. Ridiculously bright, which is what i wanted.

I just do not feel that my problem was handled in a very supportive way. Customer service is becoming more and more rare these days, and this whole mess is just another example of that. Maybe it's the economy, maybe it's just you guys?! If i had only bought one light bulb from you guys and then wanted you to replace my entire headlight system, that would be different. But i bought THREE HID kits from you guys, all in 55watt. And then when a stupid little $8.00 part fails, and you give me static over it.... well i find that to be unacceptable. And what am i to do? Well,... just what i did,.. warn and tell everyone i know.

-Cannon

Well,.. the problem was handled. As to how it was handled, we obviously have a different of opinions. You obviously don't see my point of view either. This matter is done with as far as i'm concerned. Fellow members can make up their own minds from here, as to whether to use your products or not.

Cannon

• Like 1

Well,.. the problem was handled. As to how it was handled, we obviously have a different of opinions. You obviously don't see my point of view either. This matter is done with as far as i'm concerned. Fellow members can make up their own minds from here, as to whether to use your products or not.

Cannon

http://www.bullyonline.org/related/cyber.htm

I think a warranty is an expection of how long the seller expects the product to last. After some fancy math I'm sure.

Too long and they go broke with repairs, replacements and too few return customers buying new.

Having a part with a 30 day warranty in something as important (can't go without them) and expensive seems like a mistake

I say this not to stir the pot, or point fingers. But to discuss the reason and so we can better understand.

Is the part an option?

Some way to use the headlights while waiting for replacement?

Is it generic enough a big box store would have it? So waiting isn't an issue.

Cheap enough more than one should be purchased as a ready spare?

Again I'm not siding with the thread starter he seems frustration got the better of him. Which I think we all understand

Edited by thinguy

I installed the kit complete with the harnesss 6 mos ago. I have the same problem with the right side light going out when i start the vehicle. To get it to come on i have to turn the lights off and on, kind of annoying to say the least. Anyway yesterday the same thing happened for the left side, only i couldn't get it to come back on until i shut the vehicle down and restarted it. Anyone know what i should look for to fix this? Other than that i like the kit, but it does seem to have a few problems. I phoned retro solutions, just have'nt heard back form them yet, i guess i don't feel like waiting if someone knows a quick fix..

Wow that stinks and I can imagine that it's annoying. Sometimes the adage of getting what you pay for is not quite true. Case in point, I haven't once paid over $50.00 for an HID kit and I haven't had any problems. And two of the kits I'm running are over three years old. I never had a problem on my 08, and I'm so far with the 11, things have been working just as well despite the warnings about buying a cheap system... Hope you get this worked out so you can just enjoy your truck.

"Serial bullies, whose behaviour profile you'll find in full at Bully OnLine, harbour a lot of internal aggression which they direct at others. "

"The objectives of bullies are Power, Control, Domination, Subjugation. They get a kick out of seeing you react. It doesn't matter how you react, the fact they've successful provoked a reaction is, to the bully, a sign that their attempt at control have been successful. After that, it's a question of wearing you down. The more your try to explain, negotiate, conciliate, etc the more gratification they obtain from your increasingly desperate attempts to communicate with them. Understand that it is not possible to communicate in a mature adult manner with a disordered individual who's emotionally retarded."

"The Number One rule for dealing with this type of behaviour is: don't respond, don't interact and don't engage. This is not as easy to do as it sounds. It's a natural response to want to defend yourself, and to put the person right. However, never argue with a serial bully; it's not a mature adult discussion, but like dealing with a child or immature teenager; whilst the serial bully may be an adult on the outside, on the inside they are like a child who's never grown up - and probably never will. Serial bullies and harassers often have disordered thinking patterns and do not share the same thoughts or values as you."

Note: I just broke "The Number One rule"

"Serial bullies, whose behaviour profile you'll find in full at Bully OnLine, harbour a lot of internal aggression which they direct at others. "

"The objectives of bullies are Power, Control, Domination, Subjugation. They get a kick out of seeing you react. It doesn't matter how you react, the fact they've successful provoked a reaction is, to the bully, a sign that their attempt at control have been successful. After that, it's a question of wearing you down. The more your try to explain, negotiate, conciliate, etc the more gratification they obtain from your increasingly desperate attempts to communicate with them. Understand that it is not possible to communicate in a mature adult manner with a disordered individual who's emotionally retarded."

"The Number One rule for dealing with this type of behaviour is: don't respond, don't interact and don't engage. This is not as easy to do as it sounds. It's a natural response to want to defend yourself, and to put the person right. However, never argue with a serial bully; it's not a mature adult discussion, but like dealing with a child or immature teenager; whilst the serial bully may be an adult on the outside, on the inside they are like a child who's never grown up - and probably never will. Serial bullies and harassers often have disordered thinking patterns and do not share the same thoughts or values as you."

Note: I just broke "The Number One rule"

Ummm,...?!?!?! Completely unrelated to this topic.

Cannon

II just ordered another "cheap kit" for my wifes new explorer. How can you beat it? You can three or sometimes four kits for the price of one?

As far as the LED Strip lights on the front, I love them too. Purely cosmetic in e set way right now, but soon I hope to make them into daytime running lamps.