head rest.....

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the head rest. My question is can I do anything?

Problem is Ifind it is pressing against the bacl of my head constantly. Not nice. I tried raising, and lowering. I even took the phucking thing off, but then worried about a crash etc.....

I didn't notice in the test drives, we took our first long trip this weekend.

Does the Licoln head rest differ? Maybe I can buy one or two of those and switch it.

Or I'm gonna put the thing a vice here at my shop and bend it back an inch or so.

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like the head rest. My question is can I do anything?

Problem is Ifind it is pressing against the bacl of my head constantly. Not nice. I tried raising, and lowering. I even took the phucking thing off, but then worried about a crash etc.....

Does the Licoln head rest differ? Maybe I can buy one or two of those and switch it.

Or I'm gonna put the thing a vice here at my shop and bend it back an inch or so.

A coworker here bought a SEL Plus. She fell in love w/ the MKX but it was out of her price range. She had been w/ GM for 15+ years and decided to move over to Ford. SHE HATES THE SEATS AND HEAD REST. She said this will be the last car she buys without trying one for a day or two. She has a touchy back and neck and has horrible pain. She sits w/ her seat as a 90 degree position because that's how she likes to sit. Ford flipped the headrest around which kind of helped. She ordered a seat pad w/ a 30 Day MBG and hopes this helps. Try flipping around the head rest.

I love my seats... Best seats I've ever owned from Ford... However, I sit with the seat tilted back slightly....

Bill

Using the instructions posted by Saleen, I flipped my headrests around because they bugged the heck out of me, too. I've now got a comfortable ride, albeit at the expense of far less protection in a rear end crash. Sure wish they made the angle of them adjustable.

Personally i have no issue with the headrest, i cant even touch it unless i really throw my head back and practically look at the roof. I have the seat somewhat reclined and have a deep chest which might be the reason why my head is a good distance off the headrest....

Well I guess just flipping the head rest around when I drive it would be the best answer. That way the wife still has the proper protection when she drives it, and I am comfy when I drive it.

We used these instructions to flip ours around. It took all of 2 minutes. Good luck:-) I will never buy another car with out renting it for a few days first. The seats are so uncomfortable for both of us that our necks get sore.

Posted by:sechmura

To remove the headrests, simply straighten the outermost end of a paperclip, raise the headrest to its uppermost position, insert the paperclip into the small hole on the plastic headrest guide, and press firmly while pulling upwards on the headrest.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanx Dilgen, if the wife ever lets me drive it again, I'll try that.

I too have an issue with the headrests, or restraints. Before I placed my factory order I spent a couple of days testing one with the first generation headrests and of course my Edge arrived with the new phucking ones and they are a major scource of irritation. I have tried to adjust my seating position to accomodate them but I am not sure if this will be a long term solution, especially on long trips.

What Ford should have done was make the angle adjustable, just like a Jaguar. Fortunately, here in Vancouver we have an OEM seat maker who can make the corrections for me and they estimate they have done 25% of the Edges sold here in Vancouver already. Funny thing is I substituted my '05 Escape headrests and that was sweet, until I had to give back the Escape.

My Edge, not withstanding the head rest issue, is outstanding and for the money, way ahead of everything in it's class.

Buzz

• 2 weeks later...

To remove the headrests, simply straighten the outermost end of a paperclip, raise the headrest to its uppermost position, insert the paperclip into the small hole on the plastic headrest guide, and press firmly while pulling upwards on the headrest.

i have on 07 Edge SEL Plus and I too am annoyed with the extreme angle of the headrest. It seems to annoy us taller drivers (over 5-10). I tried the above to release the front headrest and nothing happens when i push firmly. HELP

i have on 07 Edge SEL Plus and I too am annoyed with the extreme angle of the headrest. It seems to annoy us taller drivers (over 5-10). I tried the above to release the front headrest and nothing happens when i push firmly. HELP

I didn't use a paper clip or anything. I just pushed in the lock on both plastic mounts and pulled it out. Fliped them and push back in.

I flip the head rest back when I get out, just so the wife is protected.

I didn't use a paper clip or anything. I just pushed in the lock on both plastic mounts and pulled it out. Fliped them and push back in.

I flip the head rest back when I get out, just so the wife is protected.

This is not a Ford design problem.

The headrest design is safety inspired, supposedly reducing whiplash and related neck injury by 90%. I test drove the new 2008 Highlander and Acura RDX this weekend and both had the same uncomfortably angled-forward headrests. The Toyota salesman told me about the safety aspect, I think he said this will be mandated in all future vehicles by the federal government, which is why they incorporated it now.

In any case, I think the Edge is a great value similarly equipped to the Highlander. Also the seats in the Highlander suck, even in the leather-trimmed Limited. There's no lumbar support for the passengers and the driver electric lumbar adjustment is in the wrong spot for my back. Im not generally a Ford fan, but I went and sat in an Edge and the comfort difference is night and day.

I insist on Bluetooth and HomeLink, and my wife wants the power liftgate, so we will wait for the 2008. Anyone know when they will be available?

This is not a Ford design problem.

The headrest design is safety inspired, supposedly reducing whiplash and related neck injury by 90%. I test drove the new 2008 Highlander and Acura RDX this weekend and both had the same uncomfortably angled-forward headrests. The Toyota salesman told me about the safety aspect, I think he said this will be mandated in all future vehicles by the federal government, which is why they incorporated it now.

In any case, I think the Edge is a great value similarly equipped to the Highlander. Also the seats in the Highlander suck, even in the leather-trimmed Limited. There's no lumbar support for the passengers and the driver electric lumbar adjustment is in the wrong spot for my back. Im not generally a Ford fan, but I went and sat in an Edge and the comfort difference is night and day.

I insist on Bluetooth and HomeLink, and my wife wants the power liftgate, so we will wait for the 2008. Anyone know when they will be available?

Sorry, everyone, but I'm 6'2", and drive with my seat VERY upright. The headrests don't bother me at all. Sure, maybe I'll have issues wearing my cowboy hat in the winter, but apart from that, no problems.

The headrests are not an issue. They're like that for good reason: safety. We'll get used to them, just like we're used to seatbelts. (We are all wearing them, right?)

I'm 5-10 and a bit and the wife is 5-6 and I never noticed anything. Actually I can lean my head back a bit and rest it comfortably while riding in the passenger seat. We both ahve our seats tilted back two clicks though.

I've been going over all the complaints I've read about just to make sure they are not an issue with ours and so far we're good to go.

The rear hatch handle is another - it is great. Both my wife and I find both handles work great with little effort.