Poorly Painted

:banghead:

Darn, get it back to the dealer ASAP. Years ago, when I was a youngun, had a '93 Black SHO, and at

about 2 months old, had the hood, drivers door, drivers rear 1/4 panel, and passengers side front and back doors start to get small cracks in the paint - NOT ACCEPTABLE ! Dealer had the car taken to a shop that brought panels back down to bare metal, and treated, primed, repainted, and hand buffed out. Looked GREAT, but the original paint job was not as "deep" in comparison to the repainted panels. So, back to the dealer, they sent it back o the shop, where they stripped the entire car, repainted, and hand rubbed out. Got it back with a paint job better than most high end imports ! :hyper: Just be cautious, get the job done the right way the first time.

Joe

Most, if not every, domestic OE paint will have orange peel. That's why metallics are so popular nowadays. As Richy pointed out, the flake that they put in there breaks up the pattern.

If you want a paint job that is free of orange peel, you need to get it professionally done. Where they will take the time to measure paint depth and color sand it flat and then re-clear.

• 2 weeks later...

My MKX has orange peel but not very much. It really has to be seen at a correct angle and in good light to see it. The flake is so overpowering that it is hard to see the OP.

I could accept a little orange peel but on this one if you look at the reflection of a line on the ground it there is a wavy line. This is everywhere.

I have to agree that orange peel is excessive on these cars. Not in all areas, but in my case with my 2011 Sport it is on the liftgate & quarter sail panels. All others areas are fine.

Color match on the bumpers is slightly off but I have seen worse on the aformentioned Lexus's & Toyotas. Being in the buisness, I know it is hard to match paint on dis-similar surfaces. Especially when plastics require different materials for adhesion than metals. Couple that with having a bumper & fender or quarter butt up to each other at the same angle at eye level & the match issue is magnified.

I let the dealer touch one of my cars once. I have an 04 F250 that had some dirt in the tailgate. I took of the gate, removed all the hardware & made it simple for them: Sand & shoot. What I got back looked 5X worse than the original problem. I had them pay me to fix it right.

Orange peel can be removed without a repaint but measurement of clear coat thickness is required. If you wet sand & buff, there needs to be enough clear left on the car to protect from UV light. If too much is sanded off, the clear will eventually haze & subsequently flake.

I can live with the little bit of oarange peel that the car has, but like edgieguy pointed out, you would expect more from a company that wants to compete with & charges a similar price to Toyota/Lexus

I have to agree that orange peel is excessive on these cars. Not in all areas, but in my case with my 2011 Sport it is on the liftgate & quarter sail panels. All others areas are fine.

Color match on the bumpers is slightly off but I have seen worse on the aformentioned Lexus's & Toyotas. Being in the buisness, I know it is hard to match paint on dis-similar surfaces. Especially when plastics require different materials for adhesion than metals. Couple that with having a bumper & fender or quarter butt up to each other at the same angle at eye level & the match issue is magnified.

I let the dealer touch one of my cars once. I have an 04 F250 that had some dirt in the tailgate. I took of the gate, removed all the hardware & made it simple for them: Sand & shoot. What I got back looked 5X worse than the original problem. I had them pay me to fix it right.

Orange peel can be removed without a repaint but measurement of clear coat thickness is required. If you wet sand & buff, there needs to be enough clear left on the car to protect from UV light. If too much is sanded off, the clear will eventually haze & subsequently flake.

I can live with the little bit of oarange peel that the car has, but like edgieguy pointed out, you would expect more from a company that wants to compete with & charges a similar price to Toyota/Lexus

Compare it to other vehicles on the lot (same color) and it if's that much worse then Ford may pay to have it color sanded as randyr described above. I know at least one person who had this done on a Ford vehicle but don't remember the details.