Update v2.8 - BJ - Results

Neil McLaughlin

On v2.8, no "Scheduled Maintenance" seen yet...at least not in the foreground. Someone else mentioned that Ford is trying to have these performed in the background while vehicle is not in operation. Regarding the Sync voice, I use the Advanced voice prompts and have not noticed this issue.

That's promising!

The reason I asked about the "For your convenience..." prompt from the sync lady is because I think that is a sign that the system rebooted while you were away.

Let us know if you ever notice a reboot.

That's promising!

The reason I asked about the "For your convenience..." prompt from the sync lady is because I think that is a sign that the system rebooted while you were away.

Let us know if you ever notice a reboot.

I have experienced a lot more of the lady's "convenience" message after going to 2.8, it is actually quite annoying. However, I have not actually seen it reboot once (other than the time I took the batter out to install a power cable for my amp) since the 2.8 update. Overall the system is much snappier, and I am much happier with it.

I haven't seen any mention of self installs of 2.8. Is this another dealer only update? I already have 2.7 and to be honest, I liked 1.8 better. It sounds like 2.8 may be a good stable release, its gotta be good with the "BJ" code :spiteful: ...but what happened to being able to update this via USB. Did Ford give up on that?

I haven't seen any mention of self installs of 2.8. Is this another dealer only update? I already have 2.7 and to be honest, I liked 1.8 better. It sounds like 2.8 may be a good stable release, its gotta be good with the "BJ" code :spiteful: ...but what happened to being able to update this via USB. Did Ford give up on that?

Can't see anything but the most minor updates being user installable. This is because anything significant is tied to the individual vehicle's VIN so each update is sent from Ford tailored to the specific options on your vehicle. Cumbersome, time consuming and prone to transmission errors, but that's the way Ford designed it.

My dealer continues to claim there is no update available from Ford beyond 2.4. May have no choice but to make 6 hour round trips to a dealer in another city. Awesome service experience.

Can't see anything but the most minor updates being user installable. This is because anything significant is tied to the individual vehicle's VIN so each update is sent from Ford tailored to the specific options on your vehicle. Cumbersome, time consuming and prone to transmission errors, but that's the way Ford designed it.

My dealer continues to claim there is no update available from Ford beyond 2.4. May have no choice but to make 6 hour round trips to a dealer in another city. Awesome service experience.

I agree that it is unlikely that any significant updates will be provided to users to install any time soon. There is just too much that can go wrong. If you compare it to Windows updates, Ford needs to engineer a way to update the system in smaller bits so that a failure does not take down the whole system. Better yet, if there is a failure, the MFT automatically "rolls back" the update to an earlier version. There is so much that can be done with this technology. Once wi-fi is more prevalent outside of home or office such as municipal broadband wi-fi, I would hope that Ford enables updates to be downloaded while the vehicle is in motion. Better yet, satellite downloads of updates that can be installed while vehicle is in motion. Reboots could be scheduled when vehicle is shut down for whatever time is required. We are used to this process with our PCs and Macs, why should our vehicles be different. Enough day-dreaming.

Today I did try a new feature on the MFT. I cannot say whether this worked before because I never had the right cable until now for our iPod and iPhones. However, the video feature works perfectly using the video and audio inputs. With the iPod video player, you can switch back and forth between screen sizes and also fast forward/rewind. Sound quality through the Sony sound system is incredible. I watch part of Inception just for fun. Incredible surround sound with that feature selected.

If only the Inception dream-makers could work with the Ford MFT engineers. Maybe in a hundred years....

By the way, v2.8 still working perfectly. No MS reboots, screen locks, BSODs, fuse pulls or any other issues noted on existing functionality.

This is the first I heard of v2.8. I dropped my car off Sunday night so they could have it all day Monday to do a software update. As of today, they still aren't able to successfully complete. I'm not even sure WHAT they're trying to do. I asked one person which version they were attempting to load and they said that they're trying to READ my vehicle and not load anything.

Enough ranting... but seriously...FIVE DAYS to do a software upgrade????

Sooooo... 16 days and a new APIM later, I finally got my car back with V2.8. Unfortunately, the main problem I had with it still exists, that's the phone constantly disconnecting. But on the plus side, the calls that I make will actually connect the first time, unlike before the upgrade where it made the call, but neither party could hear each other.

There are some marginal improvements in climate control, MP3 music (by way of memory stick), initial start up of the system (used to take about 45 seconds for radio to come on), Nav system freezing when zoomed in all the way. I don't see any increase in the speed of the touch screen itself. Maybe mine was as fast as it gets before the upgrade.

Anyway, all in all, I'm still somewhat disappointed. I would really like to have a reliable phone.

Sooooo... 16 days and a new APIM later, I finally got my car back with V2.8. Unfortunately, the main problem I had with it still exists, that's the phone constantly disconnecting. But on the plus side, the calls that I make will actually connect the first time, unlike before the upgrade where it made the call, but neither party could hear each other.

There are some marginal improvements in climate control, MP3 music (by way of memory stick), initial start up of the system (used to take about 45 seconds for radio to come on), Nav system freezing when zoomed in all the way. I don't see any increase in the speed of the touch screen itself. Maybe mine was as fast as it gets before the upgrade.

Anyway, all in all, I'm still somewhat disappointed. I would really like to have a reliable phone.

Well, it's clear that you selected the wrong phone! just ask akirby..

:doh:

Ford picked one phone and developed to it. If any other phone works...it's an accident.

Edited by wilsons66604

Got updated to 2.8 yesterday. Don't see any improvements. On the contrary:

1.- Voice promps for Nav are now not working. It tries to prompt and turns down the audio volume, but nothing comes out. Took me a while to figure out why my audio volume kept lowering. All system volumes set correctly.

2.- Contact photos from phone no longer show up.

3.- Still has serious background noise on receiving end of phone calls.

4.- Nav still gets lost in some field somewhere

Got updated to 2.8 yesterday. Don't see any improvements. On the contrary:

1.- Voice promps for Nav are now not working. It tries to prompt and turns down the audio volume, but nothing comes out. Took me a while to figure out why my audio volume kept lowering. All system volumes set correctly.

2.- Contact photos from phone no longer show up.

3.- Still has serious background noise on receiving end of phone calls.

4.- Nav still gets lost in some field somewhere

Did you check to see if display contact photos is on? It's under the phone settings, When I had the 2.8 applied, the automatic phonebook download was disabled by default, and I can't remember if display phone contact pictures was also disabled. I flipped both back on, on my car.. perhaps yours is off?

M.

Did you check to see if display contact photos is on? It's under the phone settings, When I had the 2.8 applied, the automatic phonebook download was disabled by default, and I can't remember if display phone contact pictures was also disabled. I flipped both back on, on my car.. perhaps yours is off?

M.

Both are set to "on". I will try to delete and re-pair.

M.

Photos are visible in the phonebook, they just don't show up on the screen when in a call anymore. Tried a new vehicle on the dealer lot and got the same. Guess something else that got screwed up in the latest update.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this forum makes me feel so much better. I drove a new edge recently and it seems to have fixed the issues. Unfortunately mine can not be fixed so I have to go through the whole buy back process to get another vehicle. Good luck getting another dealer to deal with your car though. I thought at first it was my dealer and called around to other dealers and no one would touch it. I stuck it out with my dealer and after nearly 5 months of worse problems than I started they are gonna get it replaced by Ford. The thing I told Ford was that I could have bought whatever I wanted, but I choose a Ford don't make me regret that choice. My fingers are Crossed that a new one will not do all the things I have had happen. I would suggest to anyone though who is experiencing problem video the problems. That was the final straw for mine cause at least then you can prove your sideband what you are experiencing.

Wow this forum makes me feel so much better. I drove a new edge recently and it seems to have fixed the issues. Unfortunately mine can not be fixed so I have to go through the whole buy back process to get another vehicle. Good luck getting another dealer to deal with your car though. I thought at first it was my dealer and called around to other dealers and no one would touch it. I stuck it out with my dealer and after nearly 5 months of worse problems than I started they are gonna get it replaced by Ford. The thing I told Ford was that I could have bought whatever I wanted, but I choose a Ford don't make me regret that choice. My fingers are Crossed that a new one will not do all the things I have had happen. I would suggest to anyone though who is experiencing problem video the problems. That was the final straw for mine cause at least then you can prove your sideband what you are experiencing.

Ford is replacing your Edge!?!?

WOW.

What was the issue that made Ford give in?

Hey, I am new to the forum, just joined and this is my first post. I have had my 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD - loaded for a week now. This is my 2nd Ford Edge (had a 1st generation 2007 before). I am commenting on this thread because I don't understand why people are complaining about having to take their vehicles into the dealer to have Sync updated and having to wait for hours or days for them to perform the updates. I am surprised, especially coming from "techie" people, since you can simply register your vehicle on syncmyride.com it will allow you to download the Sync updates to a USB key and apply them yourself. I registered at syncmyride.com today and checked it all out. It told me that there may be an update for my vehicle so I followed the instructions and performed the task myself in minutes. My Edge was just built the 3rd week of May so it came with Sync version 2.8. All three updates (including the 2 done in the factory - see below) are the same base type and name even though they were applied on different days. The update which I just applied this morning was not really an update but actually BT4T-14D546-EC which is just a version status checker so there was no real update for my vehicle as of yet. I don't think that you can really tell if your Sync is up to date without registering on syncmyride.com and downloading the version status checker tool - especially if you have let the dealer's technicians mess with the car and they haven't registered the updates which they have applied. Part of the process is bringing the USB key back to your computer and uploading the installation confirmation to the syncmyride.com database (so Ford and you know what version your vehicle is running). I have not noticed any of the issues that everyone is complaining about and I have messed around with just about every feature so far.

From syncmyride.com:

Sync VersionGen2 - V2.8

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D546-AM

BT4T-14D546-GA

BT4T-14F496-AP

BT4T-14F497-AM

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AM

SYNC Download & Installation History for this vehicle

This page lists the current status of SYNC applications and updates for the featured vehicle. Click here for more information about this table and the status abbreviations.

Type

Name

Version

Description

Status

Date

BT4T-14D544-BJ

Gen2 - V2.8

My Ford Touch Base Software

CI

6/5/2011

BT4T-14D544-BJ

Gen2 - V2.8

CI

5/17/2011

BT4T-14D544-BJ

Gen2 - V2.8

CI

5/16/2011

If anyone needs help figuring anything techincal out about their Edge please let me know and I will be happy to help. I am a bit of a "techie" since I have been working in the IT field for the past 12 years, LOL :)

HuntnFish

Hey, I am new to the forum, just joined and this is my first post. I have had my 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD - loaded for a week now. This is my 2nd Ford Edge (had a 1st generation 2007 before). I am commenting on this thread because I don't understand why people are complaining about having to take their vehicles into the dealer to have Sync updated and having to wait for hours or days for them to perform the updates. I am surprised, especially coming from "techie" people, since you can simply register your vehicle on syncmyride.com it will allow you to download the Sync updates to a USB key and apply them yourself. ....

Not so fast...

The only update you can do from SyncMyRide is the status checker.

All software updates (to date) have required a visit to a dealership.

Like wilsons66604 said. People are complaining because the latest updates have to be installed by the dealer. There have been a few updates that the user could install, but there have not been any recently. Currently the only download is the status checker that only reports the current installation.

Not so fast...

The only update you can do from SyncMyRide is the status checker.

All software updates (to date) have required a visit to a dealership.

That's true for the 2011s up to this point but there have been several user-installable updates for the older sync equipped vehicles from syncmyride.com.

I think the difference is they've been releasing new firmware as opposed to just application code and that requires a dealer visit.

That's true for the 2011s up to this point but there have been several user-installable updates for the older sync equipped vehicles from syncmyride.com.

I think the difference is they've been releasing new firmware as opposed to just application code and that requires a dealer visit.

There are updates on the sync sight that are well hidden. If you log into sync and click on community at the top of the page

you will find them.hy they are not under our account is a mystery to me. The one i preformed yesterday fixed my sirius

problem whan you say a station and it sends you to a different one due to them changing when the combined sirus

with xm.

Edited by ladybird4

There are updates on the sync sight that are well hidden. If you log into sync and click on community at the top of the page

you will find them.hy they are not under our account is a mystery to me. The one i preformed yesterday fixed my sirius

problem whan you say a station and it sends you to a different one due to them changing when the combined sirus

with xm.

This is a patch for Sirius and not a Sync Software update. What version of Sync does it patch? There are many flavors of Sync out there.

I wonder...is this an official patch? Why would Ford not put this in the software update area of SynMyRide?

It sure seems like a security risk to me. Downloading a file off of a discussion forum and installing it on my car? I'll wait until it shows up on the official download site.