Update v2.8 - BJ - Results

Neil McLaughlin

Ford dealer updated my 2011 Edge MFT today to BT4T-14D544-BJ Gen v2.8. Install took a couple of hours. Successful result and confirmed install is now showing on Syncmyride website.

The reason that I took it in was to fix a problem with Apple iPhone/iPods locking up the system when my Blackberry 9700 was also paired. Fortunately, since January update(v2.4), I have only pulled fuse 29 a couple of times. However, I have hit the Master Reset a few times to restart the Bluetooth device pairing process. Otherwise, all MFT functions have been working perfectly since January on the 2.4 release.

Fortunately, after running through all functions tonight, not only is everything working fine but there are a few improvements. I am a fairly technical user and have tested every function including Navigation, Climate, Audio(with exception of video) and Phone.

Here are the improvements noted thus far:

- Bluetooth pairing of Blackberry and Apple devices in tandem works with no system locking(so far at least).

- screen response time is quicker.

- maybe it's all in my head but I think the screen fonts are clearer as well.

- boot up time is faster when vehicle is started.

- jumpy screen for back up camera is fixed.

Functions still missing:

- no ability to identify a specific Bluetooth device as either a phone or a media player or both. The feature would greatly help the current situation where a new phone pairing replaces the current phone when not desired. Also, if new phone has media player that only is needed and not the phone.

- no ability to select between multiple, active paired Bluetooth devices for the same function(e.g. media player, phone, etc.)

- I am in Canada. So, TDI still missing.

I realize the first two missing items are very complex to develop but let's hope they are in the works. Anyone have information on future releases?

Anyone else have results or improvements to report?

I have been lurking since my last update to 2.4. For me this vehicle has become a failure in technology implementation, and an expensive one at that for me. The emotional and real costs for which I intend to hold Ford responsible. The vehicle that I test drove and the vehicle features that I purchased are not the same thing. I feel that Ford may eventually correct the Sync problems and get the system to work, but in the meantime those affected customers were screwed out of a product for which they paid a lot of money. Sound harsh, well that's business. I have a product that doesn't work as advertised, even after numerous repairs. I'm ready for class action any time, and will pursue my own recourse in the meantime. Be careful of any agreements or payouts with Ford that may preclude your ability for recourse or public opinion. This is one pissed 2011 Edge owner.

I feel for you. My problems are just minor and irritating with the My Ford Touch, Remote Start and backup camera. I still have the 2.4 and will wait to update until a service is needed. I go into the car everyday wondering what querky thing will happen next to the car (radio shuts off if I receive an incoming call, etc.)

I can't complain about the ride though, it's a very nice drive.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The emotional and real costs for which I intend to hold Ford responsible. I have a product that doesn't work as advertised, even after numerous repairs. I'm ready for class action any time,

Emotional costs? Seriously?

Get the latest update. If it still doesn't work pursue a lemon law buyback. Class action is a waste of time. The most you'd get out of it is an extra rebate on a new Ford vehicle while most of the money goes to the lawyers. Or just wait a few months and give Ford a chance to fix it.

I see a pattern here that I didn't expect. It seems a lot of gadget geeks are buying this car like they would buy the latest smart phone and if the techy features don't work perfectly then they don't want the vehicle. Interesting.

I'm with you on the class action vs lemon law argument. If the car is really a lemon let's get our money back and move on.

I am one of those whose 2011 Edge is presently in the shop for Sync/iphone problems. Lets see if they can fix the issue. 'Im hopeful based on some of the comments in this forum, and not turning more negative. Many of the recent gadgets have glitches which took some weeks to iron out. I guess part of the problem is that Ford pushed the SYNC talk to call and listen aspects pretty hard in their commercials in the last few years. Maybe marketing out ran the technical team or maybe Ford underestimated the extent of technology needed, more likely. To me its like Windows Vista vs Windows 7. Vista was a dog to most and 7 is vastly simpler and improved. Ford/MS need to make that realization with Sync. What's frustrating many is that we really don't know what Ford's/MS position is. I'm willing to give the dealer a chance but keep them on a short leash. Lets see.

I appreciate the comments in this and FordEdgeForum very much. I hope Ford/MS are searching these as well for what's happening in the real world.

Ford dealer updated my 2011 Edge MFT today to BT4T-14D544-BJ Gen v2.8. Install took a couple of hours. Successful result and confirmed install is now showing on Syncmyride website.

The reason that I took it in was to fix a problem with Apple iPhone/iPods locking up the system when my Blackberry 9700 was also paired. Fortunately, since January update(v2.4), I have only pulled fuse 29 a couple of times. However, I have hit the Master Reset a few times to restart the Bluetooth device pairing process. Otherwise, all MFT functions have been working perfectly since January on the 2.4 release.

Fortunately, after running through all functions tonight, not only is everything working fine but there are a few improvements. I am a fairly technical user and have tested every function including Navigation, Climate, Audio(with exception of video) and Phone.

- Bluetooth pairing of Blackberry and Apple devices in tandem works with no system locking(so far at least).

Functions still missing:

- no ability to identify a specific Bluetooth device as either a phone or a media player or both. The feature would greatly help the current situation where a new phone pairing replaces the current phone when not desired. Also, if new phone has media player that only is needed and not the phone.

- no ability to select between multiple, active paired Bluetooth devices for the same function(e.g. media player, phone, etc.)

I realize the first two missing items are very complex to develop but let's hope they are in the works. Anyone have information on future releases?

Folks - A quick update to above. I have discovered another welcome improvement. While not exactly a solution to one of the missing functions above, this is a step in the right direction. On this v2.8, it is now possible to have one Bluetooth (both phone/media capable) device connected as phone and another similar Bluetooth (both phone/media capable)device connected as media player. This is a break-through. Although, the steps do require a re-pairing if the "favourite" phone is bumped when the second one is paired.

Also, I have been interchanging back and forth between iPhone, iPod and Blackberry and no hiccups, freezing or system re-boots.

Further, having another device(iPod) connected via USB at the same time and going back and forth between USB, Sirius, FM, Bluetooth media all working fine.

Therefore, based at least on my results, I would suggest anyone with issues head to their nearest dealer that understands this system and get the update to v2.8. It should be free, especially if there are issues needing to be fixed.

Edited by _11088

Folks - A quick update to above. I have discovered another welcome improvement. While not exactly a solution to one of the missing functions above, this is a step in the right direction. On this v2.8, it is now possible to have one Bluetooth (both phone/media capable) device connected as phone and another similar Bluetooth (both phone/media capable)device connected as media player. This is a break-through. Although, the steps do require a re-pairing if the "favourite" phone is bumped when the second one is paired.

Also, I have been interchanging back and forth between iPhone, iPod and Blackberry and no hiccups, freezing or system re-boots.

Further, having another device(iPod) connected via USB at the same time and going back and forth between USB, Sirius, FM, Bluetooth media all working fine.

Therefore, based at least on my results, I would suggest anyone with issues head to their nearest dealer that understands this system and get the update to v2.8. It should be free, especially if there are issues needing to be fixed.

This is the first I heard of v2.8. I dropped my car off Sunday night so they could have it all day Monday to do a software update. As of today, they still aren't able to successfully complete. I'm not even sure WHAT they're trying to do. I asked one person which version they were attempting to load and they said that they're trying to READ my vehicle and not load anything.

AKIRBY...You are correct... Thankfully, I'm in a position at this stage of my life that I could have chosen any car to buy. Being in the technology field, I chose this car specifically for the gadgets that it had. Their advertising was very convincing. The fact that they don't work as advertised and based on recent experience, the fact that they can't seem to fix it is extremely disturbing to me. So NOW what am I supposed to do? This isn't like an ordinary product that you can return if you don't like it. I have the feeling that I'll be stuck with a lemon that will eventually be extremely hard to get rid of. What happens when more people become more vocal and the news feeds start picking up on the story and this car becomes the 21st century Gremlin?

Enough ranting... but seriously...FIVE DAYS to do a software upgrade????

Functions still missing:

When was your Edge built/delivered? I still have 2.3 and "AG" and the dealer does not even show any update for mine. I'm starting to believe that my VIN has fallen through the cracks.

When was your Edge built/delivered? I still have 2.3 and "AG" and the dealer does not even show any update for mine. I'm starting to believe that my VIN has fallen through the cracks.

My SEL was built the end of January and had v2.4 installed. The dealer DID install V2.8 as recommended on this post. I gave the service guy a copy of the OP comments. They must have had a difficult time, or didnt know the correct procedure since my SYNC install history shows some installs and UNINSTALLS prior to installation of v 2.8. Just got it back today and its working MUCH better as shown in the OP. So far so good. Will update as required and keeping fingers crossed. (knocking wood too).

This is the first I heard of v2.8. I dropped my car off Sunday night so they could have it all day Monday to do a software update. As of today, they still aren't able to successfully complete. I'm not even sure WHAT they're trying to do. I asked one person which version they were attempting to load and they said that they're trying to READ my vehicle and not load anything.

AKIRBY...You are correct... Thankfully, I'm in a position at this stage of my life that I could have chosen any car to buy. Being in the technology field, I chose this car specifically for the gadgets that it had. Their advertising was very convincing. The fact that they don't work as advertised and based on recent experience, the fact that they can't seem to fix it is extremely disturbing to me. So NOW what am I supposed to do? This isn't like an ordinary product that you can return if you don't like it. I have the feeling that I'll be stuck with a lemon that will eventually be extremely hard to get rid of. What happens when more people become more vocal and the news feeds start picking up on the story and this car becomes the 21st century Gremlin?

Enough ranting... but seriously...FIVE DAYS to do a software upgrade????

The fact that many people seem to have no problems and others have had problems that were fixed should be encouraging. Unfortunately in your case I think your dealer is incompetent which adds to the frustration. You might try a different dealer. Either way I believe these issues will be fixed over time so I don't think it's something you'll be "stuck" with. If you continue to have problems with 2.8 then you might have a hardware issue.

Mine was built at end of Oct. Upgraded to v2.4 in January. Still had minor bugs with Bluetooth. Most recent upgrade(v2.8) is proving very successful for Bluetooth(although still missing some functionality mentioned). Fortunately, no apparent issues though. As posted by others, I am also interested in the geeky technology. So, I am comfortable. However, I am sure there are millions of people who would not have the first clue how to use the web site, make USB updates, surf forums, etc, .etc. If I was one of them, I would also be thinking lemon law, etc.

You should definitely find a dealer who knows what they're doing. I am fortunate to have found one where I live where the Service Manager is as geeky as me and is completely on top of this issue. He has trained the techs himself and loves to talk about the technology, including its weaknesses and potential.

Mine was built at end of Oct. Upgraded to v2.4 in January. Still had minor bugs with Bluetooth. Most recent upgrade(v2.8) is proving very successful for Bluetooth(although still missing some functionality mentioned). Fortunately, no apparent issues though. As posted by others, I am also interested in the geeky technology. So, I am comfortable. However, I am sure there are millions of people who would not have the first clue how to use the web site, make USB updates, surf forums, etc, .etc. If I was one of them, I would also be thinking lemon law, etc.

You should definitely find a dealer who knows what they're doing. I am fortunate to have found one where I live where the Service Manager is as geeky as me and is completely on top of this issue. He has trained the techs himself and loves to talk about the technology, including its weaknesses and potential.

I need to find a Service Manager like that!

I need to find a Service Manager like that!

Would be nice wouldn't it? My dealership simply tells me they have no information from Ford to indicate that there's anything newer than the 2.4 version currently installed on my MKX. So they are either incompetent or lying to me. Either way, I'm left with a very bitter taste from both the dealership where I spent 50K and am treated like a sucker and from Ford whose marketing ambitions greatly exceeded their technical abilities.

Would be nice wouldn't it? My dealership simply tells me they have no information from Ford to indicate that there's anything newer than the 2.4 version currently installed on my MKX. So they are either incompetent or lying to me. Either way, I'm left with a very bitter taste from both the dealership where I spent 50K and am treated like a sucker and from Ford whose marketing ambitions greatly exceeded their technical abilities.

These stories are sad. I would lean toward the "incompetent" side of your argument. They don't know what they don't know. Anyway, call around to a few dealers and hopefully you can find one that distinguishes itself. This is a very interesting development though from a dealer service perspective. In the past one always assumed that dealer service departments were all the same and they were all trained to the same specs. Certainly that is not the case with MyFordTouch.

Ford dealer updated my 2011 Edge MFT today to BT4T-14D544-BJ Gen v2.8.......

Hi, new to the forum.

We picked up our 2011 Lincoln MKX last Thur.

I checked the version of Sync and this is what's reported from the web site (after plugging the USB into the MKX then loading it to the site) :

Sync VersionGen2 - V2.7

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D546-AL

BT4T-14F496-BL

BT4T-14F497-AL

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AL

Waiting to download 0 items.

Would a Lincoln vesion be different than an Edge, meaning is my v2.7 the same as an Edge v2.8? The dealer is coming tomorrow (Monday) to pick the MKX up. They have to repaint the hood due to some scratches. Since it would be at the dealer for a few days, I was going to request they apply v2.8, but I don't know if it's apples-to-apples ???

Thanks!

Edited by rms8

Hi, new to the forum.

We picked up our 2011 Lincoln MKX last Thur.

I checked the version of Sync and this is what's reported from the web site (after plugging the USB into the MKX then loading it to the site) :

Sync VersionGen2 - V2.7

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D546-AL

BT4T-14F496-BL

BT4T-14F497-AL

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AL

Waiting to download 0 items.

Would a Lincoln vesion be different than an Edge, meaning is my v2.7 the same as an Edge v2.8? The dealer is coming tomorrow (Monday) to pick the MKX up. They have to repaint the hood due to some scratches. Since it would be at the dealer for a few days, I was going to request they apply v2.8, but I don't know if it's apples-to-apples ???

Thanks!

Yes. From my understanding, they are the same with the exception of the home screen logos and any additional vehicle features on the Lincoln. Best to check with a dealer tech for sure. You can check your configuraiton yourself by touching and holding three sensors at the same time. Kind of like Ctl - Alt - Del. Hold FM > Disc Eject > Tuner Right arrow at the same time to enter the config screens. Plenty of info there, speaker tests, etc, etc.

Your vehicle was likely built before the mid-April(v2.8) update was released. Unless you have something wrong, the dealer might try to charge you to update to v2.8. Best to have a complaint of some sort. Most everyone does!! ;-) Unfortunately, I have seen forum posts where the dealer tried to charge even though there was a complaint. Hopefully, Ford shut down that greediness after reading the posts.

Good luck...Let us know how it goes.

2.4 gen here.. called for the update.. doesnt show i need one~...w hat up with that.... i might just roll in and make em do it~.g.rrr

I have been on 2.8 for about a week now and have been mostly impressed. All commands are recognized quicker, and the system seems less prone to slowness. I have also seen a huge improvement when attaching an iPod. No more slow song changes or freezes, at all. The one oddity that does remain is the on/off radio issue. Sometimes if I turn the car off and then turn it back on within a minute the radio will turn itself off instead of remembering the last source I was on (this also happens sometimes after a long phone call).

Other than that I have been extremely happy with the update thus far!

I took mine in last Saturday for an oil change and had them do the upgrade to 2.8 from 2.4.

I wasn't experiencing a lot of issues, a few times it lost my phone but not that often, so far 2.8 seems to be clicking right along. It is much snappier in it's response. Since it's only been a few days it's still a bit early to tell if glitches will pop up.

I have been on 2.8 for about a week now and have been mostly impressed. All commands are recognized quicker, and the system seems less prone to slowness. I have also seen a huge improvement when attaching an iPod. No more slow song changes or freezes, at all. The one oddity that does remain is the on/off radio issue. Sometimes if I turn the car off and then turn it back on within a minute the radio will turn itself off instead of remembering the last source I was on (this also happens sometimes after a long phone call).

Other than that I have been extremely happy with the update thus far!

Have you seen any signs of a reboot ...."Performing Scheduled Maintenance" ?

Has the Sync voice bugged you with..."For your convenience.." ?

I'm on 2.7 and I get both of those frequently

Have you seen any signs of a reboot ...."Performing Scheduled Maintenance" ?

Has the Sync voice bugged you with..."For your convenience.." ?

I'm on 2.7 and I get both of those frequently

On v2.8, no "Scheduled Maintenance" seen yet...at least not in the foreground. Someone else mentioned that Ford is trying to have these performed in the background while vehicle is not in operation. Regarding the Sync voice, I use the Advanced voice prompts and have not noticed this issue.