Windshield repair with soundscreen

Hi,

My brand new Lincoln MKX was hit by a flying stone on the highway. I have a small pit on my windshield (no cracks visible yet). I am not sure if I should get it repaired or not because I am not familiar with the SoundScreen windshield and I am not sure if the glass repair company needs to take any special steps because of this type of windshield.

I just wonder if the windshield has some special coating on the outside that might be damaged when they drill and do the repair. I really don't want to end up replacing the windshield either and I have seen small chips turn into large cracks pretty quickly especially in the winter.

Has anyone had a chip repaired on this type of windshield, if so are there any special steps the repair people need to take?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

c.

Hi,

My brand new Lincoln MKX was hit by a flying stone on the highway. I have a small pit on my windshield (no cracks visible yet). I am not sure if I should get it repaired or not because I am not familiar with the SoundScreen windshield and I am not sure if the glass repair company needs to take any special steps because of this type of windshield.

I just wonder if the windshield has some special coating on the outside that might be damaged when they drill and do the repair. I really don't want to end up replacing the windshield either and I have seen small chips turn into large cracks pretty quickly especially in the winter.

Has anyone had a chip repaired on this type of windshield, if so are there any special steps the repair people need to take?

c.

They would have to be careful not to damage the vinyl that is sandwiched between the sheets of glass.

If it is just a chip, I don't think they will drill. I think they will just fill the surface flat as possible.

EDIT: I am not a glass repair expert, this is only my conjecture based on experience with normal glass and (light) understanding of what the Carlite SoundScreen is made of.

Edited by cal3thousand

Hi,

c.

I keep that part of my deductible low and plan on a new windshield ever year or so. Lots of gravel used here in the winter - and chips by the time I notice have turned into full blown cracks. Here in AK you can watch specials and the repair place will pay your deductible and you are out nothing. Doesn't increase insurance rates. Don't know if that is true everywhere.

I keep that part of my deductible low and plan on a new windshield ever year or so. Lots of gravel used here in the winter - and chips by the time I notice have turned into full blown cracks. Here in AK you can watch specials and the repair place will pay your deductible and you are out nothing. Doesn't increase insurance rates. Don't know if that is true everywhere.

I wonder if this SoundScreen costs more to replace. Some insurance companies will not offer an OEM replacement, but only one that "fits the bill"; YMMV

Does anyone know which Edges have SoundScreen? Is it all of them after a certain date? or is it trim dependent?

If it came on the vehicle brand new the insurance company should have to replace it with the exact type of shield because you paid for insurance on that model.

On new cars and most insurance, Yes.

But I had comprehensive on my Volvo (older car) which included glass insurance from Progressive. They would not replace my glass with Pilkington (OEM) under the glass insurance. They said for that, I would have to make a comprehensive claim and pay my $250 deductible.

On new cars and most insurance, Yes.

But I had comprehensive on my Volvo (older car) which included glass insurance from Progressive. They would not replace my glass with Pilkington (OEM) under the glass insurance. They said for that, I would have to make a comprehensive claim and pay my $250 deductible.

I keep that deductible at $100 and glass company's pay that for you to get to bill my insurance. Living here in the land of cracked windshields and being safe drivers - these are the only claims we have luckily had to file.

Every year huh? Ouch ... that's rough. In So. California, I feel like it's tires that get that sort of abuse. Nails, screws, and potholes everywhere. Luckily, the gravel is sparse.

I keep that deductible at $100 and glass company's pay that for you to get to bill my insurance. Living here in the land of cracked windshields and being safe drivers - these are the only claims we have luckily had to file.

Probably cheaper insurance since there aren't as many people around? So many cars and tight parking spots here. I find myself parking a mile out to keep my baby from door dings.

What about paint chips? clear bra?

Glass company filled a small chip with spider crack for me. Stone hit my Edge's windshiled at 1800 miles. The repair guy and myself can find the repair; others, good luck. Insurance picked up the tab. Repair guy understood why I didn't want to replace the windshiled on a new car. Work's waranteed in case the crack grows.

I got stuck behind a gunite truck on the highway one Saturday. The truck hit a bump and a couple of pieces of gunite bounced over my windshield; yup, two tiny chips. Also, someone left me a gift one day; they scraped the side of the car. Looks like a body shop can rub out most of the damage created by the hit and run driver. My previous car, a Volvo XC 70 someone hit and ran too. I'm tired of paying for other's mistakes or negligence.

Glass company filled a small chip with spider crack for me. Stone hit my Edge's windshiled at 1800 miles. The repair guy and myself can find the repair; others, good luck. Insurance picked up the tab. Repair guy understood why I didn't want to replace the windshiled on a new car. Work's waranteed in case the crack grows.

I got stuck behind a gunite truck on the highway one Saturday. The truck hit a bump and a couple of pieces of gunite bounced over my windshield; yup, two tiny chips. Also, someone left me a gift one day; they scraped the side of the car. Looks like a body shop can rub out most of the damage created by the hit and run driver. My previous car, a Volvo XC 70 someone hit and ran too. I'm tired of paying for other's mistakes or negligence.

I hear you on that. The last 2 new cars I have had someone has done a hit and run on a parking lot before I had 2000 miles...I am just waiting for it to happen to this one :(

damage was always just a little more than my insurance deductible ($1000) so I fixed it myself rather than making the claim. I dunno I have never hit another car on a parking lot (knock on wood) but i think i would feel too guilty to just leave and not leave some contact info,

I hear you on that. The last 2 new cars I have had someone has done a hit and run on a parking lot before I had 2000 miles...I am just waiting for it to happen to this one :(

damage was always just a little more than my insurance deductible ($1000) so I fixed it myself rather than making the claim. I dunno I have never hit another car on a parking lot (knock on wood) but i think i would feel too guilty to just leave and not leave some contact info,

I have that kind of luck too.

Last car was t-boned 3 weeks into ownership. 2 weeks in the shop. Got her back and not one week later, a hit and run. Only thing the driver left behind were parts to his Lincoln. :(:lol:

I've got my glass chip repair certification.

You can inject the polymir resin to repair any type of windshield UNLESS the glass has a heated grid installed.There is the possibility of the resin catching on fire.

At our shop we don't even charge for the repair if we can do it. (We're in Canada)

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

SoundScreen acoustic windshield is made of a layer of sound-absorbent vinyl sandwiched between two sheets of glass. It reduces noise levels by as much as 6dB between 1500Hz and 5000Hz, and 2 to 3dB overall, which allows conversation and audio to be heard more clearly. From:http://www.carlite.com/soundscreen.html

If you have this windshield you will see the word SoundScreentm on the lower winshied straight ahead of the driver.

So - Cascade Auto Glass will replace my windshield for 40 bucks. I have my deductible set to 100 with State Farm. They are also giving me coupons to a local restaurant. The new windshield include the soundscreen and the rain sensor.

Looks like Cascade is a not just an Alaska company, but we have used them MANY times (lots of gravel in AK) and they do good work.

Because of the newness I do have to wait 6 weeks because they just don't have the windshields up here yet. That is fine. Plenty more dirt roads to drive before then.

I've got my glass chip repair certification.

You can inject the polymir resin to repair any type of windshield UNLESS the glass has a heated grid installed.There is the possibility of the resin catching on fire.

At our shop we don't even charge for the repair if we can do it. (We're in Canada)

Hope this helps.

Which part of Canada? I'm in toronto and just had a flying rock or something hit my windshield. There's now a crack. I called Speedy and they want $110 tax included but I think that's way to much!