2011 Limited @ no problems

TheReaper

we also have had no problems.. 6 months and 6000 miles... mileage is much better that most people have been saying.. total car mpg states 24.6.. but when we manually check it, the mileage is usually better than what the trip meter states.

Only problem with the sync and touch is i have a hard time understanding the voice on the call for directions..

SEL FWD

Edited by jmb09

Yep, all good with me too. I'm a Brit in the US for a few years working and you can't get the Edge in England so I leased a new SEL AWD. The voice system works really well and seems to cope with the accent too, only 390 miles on the clock and I've switched to advanced voice already!

I picked loads of options, but one I should have chosen was a higher spec sound system. Everything else is good, and the metalic blue in the sun....... nice. :shades:

I've owned Fords for 40 years and this EDGE is one of the best. You will find whiners everywhere. If I listened to all the whiners on the Mustang forum

I wouldn't have bought a new 5.0 GT. I could go on and on about the things that my wife and I like about the EDGE but I don't like to type that much.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been 7 months and 3500 miles. All is well and the only issue was the usb that a reboot fixed. I am very happy with this vehicle.

I would love to be one of the people that's fully satisfied with the EDGE, but I'm not. Mechanically the vehicle is great. I love the ride and noise levels, and the mileage isn't bad. All my issues are with the My Touch sync system. I've been in and out of the shop at least 1/2 dozen times for software updates and module replacements. Even now it's starting to act up again, and history says I'll be back in the shop within two weeks.

Not sure how how software can wig out like it does. Works perfectly after an update, and then weeks later it's a mess again. Mine is a EDGE Limited with 9500 miles on it. and I've had it for 6 months. For the record, I'm a bit of a techno-geek, so I probably use more of the functionality than most. So I probably notice things the average user might not be encountering. It's a great ride that needs Microsoft to fix these nagging issues.

... For the record, I'm a bit of a techno-geek, so I probably use more of the functionality than most. So I probably notice things the average user might not be encountering. It's a great ride that needs Microsoft to fix these nagging issues.

You bring up an important point: being technically inclined WILL get you into trouble. Fixes first address the most commonly reported issues, so if I'm 10 levels deep in using options, chances are that my problem will (maybe) get resolved later, assuming enough people experience the same problem.

I've had my Edge 2011 Ltd (v2.8) for 4 weeks and only issue so far is inoperability for 2-5 min. after start up. Even then, I've noticed different behaviors depending on what I do first. Just now, I started fiddling with the radio presets and right away everything else seemed to be operational.

But I do witness weird behaviors once in a while: it's not perfect. What I find interesting reading these forums is that each member has his/her priority. Personally, I'm ecstatic that my phone now remains connected and that in itself makes me more tolerant of other issues. I had an 2008 Edge Ltd previously that would disconnect my phone's blue tooth connection after a couple of minutes. I remember being so sure it was a phone manufacturer issue, Well, same phone, new vehicle, it now works.

Which brings me to another observation: I read how some people have issues so out of this world that I wonder if their problem is not related to some weird set of circumstances, particular to their environment or habits.

Bottom line: there's no excuse for this not to work flawlessly, regardless of environment or habits. But the again, Microsoft wrote this (...)

According to members and my personal contacts with my Ford dealership, Ford support is not up to par on Touch issues. At the same time, I read enthusiastic reviews about MyTouch: so what's Ford's motivation to pick up the ball? Slim. All we need is some highly visible individual or group on the national news claiming how, for example, someone got killed, distracted by their non functional MyTouch.

But the again, Microsoft wrote this (...)

Nope. The current version was written by BSQUARE who USED to be Microsoft employees. They've been kicked to the curb and the real Microsoft is helping rewrite the software which will be backwards compatible with the 2011 models.

According to members and my personal contacts with my Ford dealership, Ford support is not up to par on Touch issues. At the same time, I read enthusiastic reviews about MyTouch: so what's Ford's motivation to pick up the ball? Slim. All we need is some highly visible individual or group on the national news claiming how, for example, someone got killed, distracted by their non functional MyTouch.

Ford is doing everything they possibly can to fix MFT. They've put out almost a new release every month trying to fix the problems and a full rewrite is underway.

They deserve the blame for allowing the problems in the first place but they're not software developers and they got burned by a vendor. Live and learn. But you can't blame them for not trying to fix the problems.

Ford is doing everything they possibly can to fix MFT. They've put out almost a new release every month trying to fix the problems and a full rewrite is underway.

They deserve the blame for allowing the problems in the first place but they're not software developers and they got burned by a vendor. Live and learn. But you can't blame them for not trying to fix the problems.

Hey akirby, any idea when the next version is going to come out? Thanks!

Nope. The current version was written by BSQUARE who USED to be Microsoft employees. They've been kicked to the curb and the real Microsoft is helping rewrite the software which will be backwards compatible with the 2011 models.

Interesting about bSquare, didn't know that.

"...They deserve the blame for allowing the problems in the first place...". I could accept a starter company getting a blow-away demo from bSquare and being blind sighted. I fail to see how a veteran company like Ford failed to tell bSquare "let me play with this and see how it behaves under stress". Product may be about functionality first, but quality programming is about handling exceptions, not the mainnsteam normal behavior. For those of us who have done some serious programming, it's easy to write the main logic; the pain is handling all the exceptions.

I agree it's a bummer for Ford. BUT. There's no excuse. In a $50k vehicule, I expect quality somewhere among all those dollars. I have two thougts:

• MFT or equivalent will be standard in all vehicules 5 years from now. So we're living the future now. That's the good part.
  • Ford is as bad as Toyota in not acknowledging a major defect: I may be wrong on this one, so please correct me. Ford keeps marketing this thing as the 7th wonder.

If I read a public statement identifying a problem and saw an engagement to resolve it within a clearly defined timeline, my tolerance would stretch. Show me the light !! I'm sorry, denial is not a good strategy

"...They deserve the blame for allowing the problems in the first place...". I could accept a starter company getting a blow-away demo from bSquare and being blind sighted. I fail to see how a veteran company like Ford failed to tell bSquare "let me play with this and see how it behaves under stress". Product may be about functionality first, but quality programming is about handling exceptions, not the mainnsteam normal behavior. For those of us who have done some serious programming, it's easy to write the main logic; the pain is handling all the exceptions.

Ford is not a "veteran company" when it comes to this type of software development - they're newbies. They trusted the contractor to deliver what they asked for on time and it didn't happen. It wasn't a lack of testing - they knew exactly what was wrong with MFT from the beginning but they made a conscious decision to go ahead and release it. In hindsight they realize this was a mistake but if you've done big software projects then you know this happens all the time. They gambled they could stabilize it quickly until the rewrite was ready - and they lost. You can bet it won't happen again though.

I agree it's a bummer for Ford. BUT. There's no excuse. In a $50k vehicule, I expect quality somewhere among all those dollars. I have two thougts:

• MFT or equivalent will be standard in all vehicules 5 years from now. So we're living the future now. That's the good part.
  • Ford is as bad as Toyota in not acknowledging a major defect: I may be wrong on this one, so please correct me. Ford keeps marketing this thing as the 7th wonder.

If I read a public statement identifying a problem and saw an engagement to resolve it within a clearly defined timeline, my tolerance would stretch. Show me the light !! I'm sorry, denial is not a good strategy

They HAVE acknowledged the problems several times. They haven't publicly announced the rewrite because they just don't discuss those types of things publicly. It's bad for current business. They'll announce it when it's ready which looks like next year. Does anybody come out and say "our software is garbage so we're going to rewrite it for next year"? Of course not.

Yes it sucks if you're having problems now but the next release is rumored to have fixed the rebooting and performance issues. If that's true then it shouldn't be a problem waiting for the rewrite. If not then it will be a long wait.

Interesting about bSquare, didn't know that.

Agreeded CV27, however 7th wonder it is not, 7th BLUNDER... maybe?

I've had my Edge for a week and absolutely love it! I'm a disabled vet and the heated seats really sooth my back. My only complaint is the location of the antenna (seriously in the front just above the windshield Ford) and the location of the hazard flasher.

My first car was a 78 T-Bird and I've been a Ford man since!

• Like 1

I've had my Edge for a week and absolutely love it! I'm a disabled vet and the heated seats really sooth my back. My only complaint is the location of the antenna (seriously in the front just above the windshield Ford) and the location of the hazard flasher.

Thank you for your service and enjoy the new Edge!

• Like 1

The Hazard Flasher button is the only thing I don't like. It's a PITA.