2011 MKX collision warning system

katandcharlie

Has anyone had problems with the 2011 MKX collision warning system? While traveling at approximately 35-40 MPH my collision warning system activated, the lights over the drivers side dash flashing and the brakes locked up. The only vehicle in front of me was a motorcycle which was a good 8-10 car length ahead of my vehicle. Talk about taking a couple of years off your life, that'll do it! I'm just thankful that there were no vehicles behind me as they probably would have slammed into me. (Quick question here, when in cruise control and the gap setting activated, do the brake lights engage when slowing down automatically? I haven't figured out how to tell but I'm hoping they do engage as I would like vehicles behind me to know I'm slowing down quickly if someone pulls in front of me while driving down the inter-state.)

Also, the problems with the Sync system are too many to list (so frustrating). According to my dealer I am current on all upgrades but they did go onto say that Ford is in the "process" of issuing an upgrade and when that upgade will be available is still unknown. One of the more annoying problems involves phone calls, the lack of consistency in the bluetooth connecting and the volume can not be turned up loud enough to hear while driving on anything other than a paved country lane at 15 mph (I have the volume on the cell turned up to full volume but that doesn't help). The voice speaker for the driver is located half way under the sun visor so in order for callers to understand me I have to put the visor down.

I love the car but the Sync problems and now the collision warning systems are making me take a very hard look at keeping the vehicle.

Katherine

Has anyone had problems with the 2011 MKX collision warning system? While traveling at approximately 35-40 MPH my collision warning system activated, the lights over the drivers side dash flashing and the brakes locked up. The only vehicle in front of me was a motorcycle which was a good 8-10 car length ahead of my vehicle. Talk about taking a couple of years off your life, that'll do it! I'm just thankful that there were no vehicles behind me as they probably would have slammed into me. (Quick question here, when in cruise control and the gap setting activated, do the brake lights engage when slowing down automatically? I haven't figured out how to tell but I'm hoping they do engage as I would like vehicles behind me to know I'm slowing down quickly if someone pulls in front of me while driving down the inter-state.)

Also, the problems with the Sync system are too many to list (so frustrating). According to my dealer I am current on all upgrades but they did go onto say that Ford is in the "process" of issuing an upgrade and when that upgade will be available is still unknown. One of the more annoying problems involves phone calls, the lack of consistency in the bluetooth connecting and the volume can not be turned up loud enough to hear while driving on anything other than a paved country lane at 15 mph (I have the volume on the cell turned up to full volume but that doesn't help). The voice speaker for the driver is located half way under the sun visor so in order for callers to understand me I have to put the visor down.

I love the car but the Sync problems and now the collision warning systems are making me take a very hard look at keeping the vehicle.

Katherine

The sensor on the warning system could be covered in dirt or something or it may need a fixing.

As for the brake lights, if the car applies the brakes, whether from pedal or computer, the brake lights will glow. This is a DOT requirement.

The sensor on the warning system could be covered in dirt or something or it may need a fixing.

As for the brake lights, if the car applies the brakes, whether from pedal or computer, the brake lights will glow. This is a DOT requirement.

Thanks for the info cal3thousand. I assumed the brake lights lit but just was not fur sure. As for the collision warning system, the car was clean, nothing obstructing any of the sensors. I have an appointment to get the car in, just waiting for the dealer to have a loaner for me.

Thanks for the info cal3thousand. I assumed the brake lights lit but just was not fur sure. As for the collision warning system, the car was clean, nothing obstructing any of the sensors. I have an appointment to get the car in, just waiting for the dealer to have a loaner for me.

Good luck with the dealer. Let us know how it goes.

Gosh, Katherine, that would be scary! I turned off mine. I admit I'm an aggressive driver, and the system obviously hates my driving as it would flash on me if I was closing in on a car but would be going around it. I am much happier now that it is off.

Katherine

It seems like I've seen this Avoidance issue mentioned before. Let's hope your dealer will find the Service bulletin that addresses it.

Richy, it pretty much scared the bageebees out of me! I actually looked in my rearview mirror to make sure I hadn't run over something or someone! I was on a two lane (flat, straight section) with NO traffic anywhere around me (front or back).

Wilson66604, my dealer said there were no bulletins on the problem. They test drove the car and couldn't reproduce the problem.... well, duh, no kidding Mr. Dealer! To say the least I am not impressed with my service department. They had the car for one week (picked it up yesterday afternoon) and my Sync system is still having problems and issues. Looks like I'm going to be spending my afternoon camped out at their shop yet again today.

Honestly, if I didn't like the car so much I would be driving it through their showroom window as I have had the car in the service department more times in the 7 months since I bought it than the entire service visits on my 2008 Denali. GRRRRR!

Richy, it pretty much scared the bageebees out of me! I actually looked in my rearview mirror to make sure I hadn't run over something or someone! I was on a two lane (flat, straight section) with NO traffic anywhere around me (front or back).

Wilson66604, my dealer said there were no bulletins on the problem. They test drove the car and couldn't reproduce the problem.... well, duh, no kidding Mr. Dealer! To say the least I am not impressed with my service department. They had the car for one week (picked it up yesterday afternoon) and my Sync system is still having problems and issues. Looks like I'm going to be spending my afternoon camped out at their shop yet again today.

Honestly, if I didn't like the car so much I would be driving it through their showroom window as I have had the car in the service department more times in the 7 months since I bought it than the entire service visits on my 2008 Denali. GRRRRR!

That sucks...

Having said that, if you decide to pull one of these :peelout: into the showroom window, make sure to take pics camera.giflaugh.gif

Guess I better make sure my cell phone camera is in good working order... well, la-tee-da, I'm now cruising around in a "loaner" Mercury Mariner. I guess my dealer is on to me... I returned the last "loaner" (a pretty speedy little Volvo) with less than a quarter of a tank of fuel so they gave me the Mercury with about an 1/8 of a tank of fuel.

So, after showing the service writer a cell phone pic of my oh so wonderful (cough, choke) Sync screen with four layers of different screens all meshed together he scratched his head and with absolute brillance he says, "Gosh, it's not suppose to do that." Duh, ya' think?!?! Lord help me, I'm going to need bail money and a ton of cash to pay for the "remodel" job at the dealership! AGGGGHHHH!!!

Yep, I'm a cruising in a Mercury, crazy about a Mercury... Where's Alan Jackson, I can SO relate to his song right about now.

I WANT MY MKX FIXED!!!!!! Okay, I feel a bit better now, so, back to our regularly scheduled program.....

Katherine

Katherine, the MKX adaptive cruise control system uses radar. Radar will always have some false activations, it's just the nature of the technology. Motorcycles especially are difficult to detect and can trick the system. But it is not possible for the system to "lock the brakes". The amount of braking the system can do on it's own is limited. While it might feel like your slowing down incredibly fast, it's just a perception because you aren't prepared for it. Anyone behind you who's not dangerously tailgating can easily slow down fast enough to avoid running into you.

Katherine, the MKX adaptive cruise control system uses radar. Radar will always have some false activations, it's just the nature of the technology. Motorcycles especially are difficult to detect and can trick the system. But it is not possible for the system to "lock the brakes". The amount of braking the system can do on it's own is limited. While it might feel like your slowing down incredibly fast, it's just a perception because you aren't prepared for it. Anyone behind you who's not dangerously tailgating can easily slow down fast enough to avoid running into you.

Thanks for the info, Waldo. The motorcycle was very far in front of me (a crotch rocket that was moving away from me at a "that's going to leave a mark if he hits a pot hole" speed). When the brakes grabbed it threw both me and my passenger forward so abruptly that our seatbelts grabbed. Granted, we were not expecting the sudden slow down but for the deacceleration to be so forceful sure didn't seem right to me. According to the service dept they "adjusted" the warning sytem. But this is the same service dept that has told me on my last nine visits that they have "fixed" the Sync problems. Gee, I didn't know I had that "she's gullible and dumber than a box of rocks" look on my face, I'm starting to doubt my bathroom mirror!

Katherine