Adaptive Cruise -> Ridiculous!

tneison

Adaptive Cruise Control, one of two options I didn't get. Maybe it's just because I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't regret not getting it.

It's actually quite a useful feature. I didn't have it on my Edge, but have it now. Personally I think it's more useful than the blind spot info system. The little spotter mirrors worked just as well for me.

It does take some time to get used to though, especially on intermediate-speed roads. It's quite strange for the vehicle to brake on its own if, for example, the car ahead slows down to make a right turn.

Some people can't drive at 1 speed if their life depended on it.

Too true!

It's actually quite a useful feature. I didn't have it on my Edge, but have it now.

Did you trade your Edge in for the MKX and it has it? or did you get it installed later?

2011 Limited with 302A package and I to can not say enough cool things about this piece of technological hardware. Its better then freaking lasers.

I tend to "rubber neck" on paths that I've taken more that 87 times and the collision detection paid for itself the second week I had my Edge.

One thing that I wish the adaptive cruise would display is when your speed is being altered by the system. Example, turn the little car symbol yellow.

For aggressive driving I tend to disable the adaptive function and just maneuver around the slow pokes.

Did you trade your Edge in for the MKX and it has it? or did you get it installed later?

The MKX has it. It's a $1,500 option up here and I made myself choose between it and the 20" polished wheels. I'm glad I made the choice I did. The collision warning part of the system seems a bit random though. I have been trying to fool it but it seems to call my bluff more often than not. But I haven't had much time to play with it as yet. I've only driven it a few times since I got it a month ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Wish we had it too, we do a lot of interstate driving.

Hate to disagree with you about detectors but.

In N Texas cities the police either dont have instant on or dont use it.

The have enough customers that they dont need it.

They leave it on ALL the time, even when they have some one stopped.

Out on the interstates:

Texas does have instant on and they use it a little, most of the time they also leave it on.

They also have plenty of customers.

When they do use the instant on, I see it when they shoot the car a mile (or more) ahead of me and for some reason dont stop them???

Just a couple of weeks ago instant on was used on me but I was doing 70 in a 70 because I knew he was in the neighborhood.

New Mexico usually pass me when Im doing 80 in a 70, they wave bye bye.

Colorado leave theirs on.

Utah same.

Nevada, not sure didn't get hit by any last month???

Evidently laser is only as good as the steady hand using it.

I do have good reflexes or maybe hes looking for that rice burner doing 80 in a 60???

Usually the laser is under a bridge and the rest of his pack is over the hill waiting for the radio call.

Here again they have plenty of customers???

ab

IL: Heavy usage of instant-on (mostly made by MPH industries). Lasers are Kustom. Beware of their unmarked Mustangs, minivans, Camaros, Monte Carlos, Grand Prix GTPs.

AZ: They do tend to leave it on at times but mostly Ka. However, DPS (Especially the motorcycle cops around Phoenix and Tucson) uses LTI-2020 lasers. You get zapped, you are toast. Unmarked SUVs and pickups are what you have to watch out for.