PAINT CHIP

SELAWD2011

Paint Chip  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Leave it as is
    • Have dealer's body shop repair it

I purchased my Ford Edge 2011 this month - Black on Black. When I inspected the car the 1st time everything was perfect... when I went back to finalize the deal I inspected the car again and noticed a chip on the front panel adjacent to the drivers door hinge. It's a 3mm white spec but on a toxedo black edge it is an immediate eye soar. The salesman said it was caused by passing motorists as they are redoing the road in front of the dealer . I spoke the the dealer and they agreed to both touch it up with a touch up pen and then since I insisted they also agreed to have there body repair shop re-paint the section properly.

My Gramps (a retired mechanic) says there is nothing like the "factory paint job" and since the touch up pen did an acceptable job (it is now only noticeable IF I point it out) he suggests I leave as is ... I on the other hand fear the touch up pen my not fully protect that spot from the winter and it could be a source of rust in later years.

My question is....Would you leave it be?...

Don't bother having them respray the panel. Give it 2 weeks and you'll have 2 or 3 more on the leading edge of the hood.

It's highly likely if they do a full panel respray, you'll find other imperfections that are harder to live with than the small chip there now. I had a few panels done on my 05' mustang by the ford dealer and they were never the same.

Just my 2cents.

I understand why you want them to spray the panel, but just cover the chip with a pen. You'll find other spots in short order when stones hit the paint or some moron hits your car.

Here's some of the damage I've encountered:

•  
  • A couple of days after I picked up my car I found two small scratches.
  • At 2K miles, a stone hoit my windshield leaving a chip. I had the windshield fixed; only the repair guy and I know where to find the chip.
  • Some moron scraped the side of my car about 20 minutes after I washed it.
  • A gunite truck dropped some debris hitting my winshield leaving a couple of additional chips.
  • When loading my kayak the boat slid scratching the end of the rear deck wing.

I've never experienced so many little "accidents" with a new car.

So, hopefully, I'm taking your place in line and snagging all of the bad luck. Best of luck with your new ride. Black's a great color. I bought a Kona Blue Edge.

Thanks for the replies... I've attached a picture of the chip. I called them and had them agree to repaint the panel... but seeing you replies and the 400Km drive (2-way) it would require for me to get it to the dealer to fix it I got them to exchange "the chip repair" and throw in the vinyl cargo cover and all seaon mats.

here is a picture of the chip.

post-17376-0-93891500-1311725835_thumb.jpg

I purchased my Ford Edge 2011 this month - Black on Black. When I inspected the car the 1st time everything was perfect... when I went back to finalize the deal I inspected the car again and noticed a chip on the front panel adjacent to the drivers door hinge. It's a 3mm white spec but on a toxedo black edge it is an immediate eye soar. The salesman said it was caused by passing motorists as they are redoing the road in front of the dealer . I spoke the the dealer and they agreed to both touch it up with a touch up pen and then since I insisted they also agreed to have there body repair shop re-paint the section properly.

My Gramps (a retired mechanic) says there is nothing like the "factory paint job" and since the touch up pen did an acceptable job (it is now only noticeable IF I point it out) he suggests I leave as is ... I on the other hand fear the touch up pen my not fully protect that spot from the winter and it could be a source of rust in later years.

My question is....Would you leave it be?...

I would leave it be, BUT, there is a product on the market, called Dr. Color Chip. The websaite is Drcolorchip.com, and the phone number is (866) 372-2548. This product is supposed to fill in a chip and road rash, and turn out smooth with no "paint glob". You dab it on, smear it, and then blend. I'm going to order it for our MKS, as we just got a chip on the middle of the hood.

LOL

Joe

OOOPS, didn't notice others already posted on this product, but here's the phone & website.

Edited by JOEHIO

Thanks for posting the pic of the damage. My recommendation:

DO NOT HAVE THE PANEL PAINTED!!! In my humble opinion, you stand a MUCH greater risk of the dealer not being able to either match the paint correctly or most probably the finish will not be anywhere near as nice as what came from the factory. Try to find a reputable detailer in your area who can fill it and wet sand it down and polish it out. It is however, near an edge (no pun intended), which is dangerous to compound due to thin paint. I strongly suggest you try the Dr chip and go from there. It is a great product and will most likely fix your problem with the least noticeable consequences.

I'm with everyone else, leave it. My 2008 had to have the fender and door fixed earlier this year because I was sideswiped. My Edge is Vapor Silver. I learned the hard way that these pretty new paint colors come with problems, mainly that they are hard to match. Mine had to be redone and the shop had to get the paint company chemists involved. And it is a really good shop, they specialize in Aston Martin and other luxury cars. It was Porsches, Mercedes, Beamers, Martins and my Edge sitting there. I thought maybe they did a lousy job because it was just an Edge but they gladly fixed it not realizing that the color was wrong. I was told that the newer colors are tricky, that paint matching software does not always get it right.