Polish without a machine?

Ok so I have read a large portion of the posts here and want to say thanks to all of you have that offered up your knowledge. I have learned so much just reading your input. I do have a question though. I do not have machine buffer, orbital anything. I want to polish my edge after a proper wash and clay treatment to rid it of some swirl marks and some water spots embedded into the hood. Is there a polish that I can do this with that I can do by hand? What products do you recommend? I have no experience with a machine buffer and seriously don't want to screw up the paint. I realize that it could be some extensive work by hand too that might require allot of pressure to get anything close to the same results. Would it just be better to take it to a detailer and let them do it?

Ok so I have read a large portion of the posts here and want to say thanks to all of you have that offered up your knowledge. I have learned so much just reading your input. I do have a question though. I do not have machine buffer, orbital anything. I want to polish my edge after a proper wash and clay treatment to rid it of some swirl marks and some water spots embedded into the hood. Is there a polish that I can do this with that I can do by hand? What products do you recommend? I have no experience with a machine buffer and seriously don't want to screw up the paint. I realize that it could be some extensive work by hand too that might require allot of pressure to get anything close to the same results. Would it just be better to take it to a detailer and let them do it?

You can apply most any polish by hand but it's a lot of work. I've had good luck with Meguiars but I'm sure others have different recommendations.

p135887z.jpg

If your paint really has defects such has swirling you need to use a machine and polish that will correct the paint. I wouldn't recommend using "elbow grease" on such a large car.

After that though, you could definitely upkeep the paint by hand. I've been using this sealant that supposedly lasts about 4 months. So far I have been amazed with the ease of use and results. Its call Ultima Paint Guard Plus in case you want to check it out.

I'm sure Richy will chime in at some point with some better pointers on detailing.

It sounds like you have the desire to improve your paint, which is the most important thing (well maybe the 2nd..paying for it is first, LOL). Now, listen to me and trust me on this:

IT IS DAMNED NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO SCREW UP PAINT WITH A RANDOM ORBITAL POLISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can repeat that if you need, LOL. Polishes need a certain amount of friction to activate. The problem is there are so many different choices for polishers and pads out there. Autogeek is a great store, but kinda overwhelming in their selection. Griot's Garage makes a very good ROP. Get yourself some flat LCC pads in 5.5", some Meguiars 205 polish and be amazed at how well your finish will amp up. M105 is even more aggressive, but if you don't have scratches or anything, you won't need it quite yet. I would suggest white and green pads from LCC.

Bottom line, is with the polisher, you will get great results and you will amaze yourself at how easy it is. Go to youtube and check out videos of people using them. It really is that easy. Common sense goes a long way. Don't stay in one position for a long time. That's the key. You will pick up a lot just watching the videos.

Thanks guys. It really is in good shape and I just want to keep it that way. I will start checking out videos and may try to do this more towards the fall. Dealing with 100+ heat and no shade is not my idea of a good idea for me or the Edge at this point. Maybe by then I can get an ROP and do it right. I just don't think the previous owners did mroe than the normal. heck I don't even think they registered the vehicle ro the sync system for this Edge. But that is ok by me. Thanks again and I will post again if I have more questions.

Thanks guys. It really is in good shape and I just want to keep it that way. I will start checking out videos and may try to do this more towards the fall. Dealing with 100+ heat and no shade is not my idea of a good idea for me or the Edge at this point. Maybe by then I can get an ROP and do it right. I just don't think the previous owners did mroe than the normal. heck I don't even think they registered the vehicle ro the sync system for this Edge. But that is ok by me. Thanks again and I will post again if I have more questions.

Go for it! It's fun and you'll appreciate your ride even more.

I got my Edge last fall and the first thing I did was clay bar, polish, then seal. I had never attempted to polish a car before cuz I was afraid I would burn the paint off (I used to be a pipefitter that used a side-grinder to grind welds. That's not anything like a orbital buffer).

ThePorter Cable orbital buffer made it easy. At no point was I afraid I was going to damage the paint.

I got a great finish and have been taking care of it since. I'm over due for another polish but ...it's 115 freakin degrees!!! I'll wait for fall.

The heat is killing any chances of me polishing my edge right now as well. I can't find shade! Even when I can it's just stupid hot. So it got a hand wash and carnuba wax last weekend. For now this will have to do. I notice light swirls from poor washing and drying but also the water spots on the hood, either from the previous owner not drying the car after a wash or from the windshield washer sprayers in the hood. Either way I figure, I will try to do a full detail on in within the next month or so. Just want to get the finish in good condition and try to keep it that way. I am just concerned that fall here won't be that much better really on the temp side. So it may be DEEP fall or early winter here before I can do what I really want. I have no way to store in our garage so it stays in teh elements and I need a good sealant. Just have to be sure to smooth out the finish before I apply any sealant I would think.

Ladybell, just read your PM. Figured I would respond here instead.

Can you see some positive results polishing by hand? Yes you can. Is it hard work? You betcha. Are the results anywhere close to those with a machine. No. Basically your doing it by hand you can't generate enough heat to properly break a polish down. Having said that, if you are looking to fix up a couple of small areas on your paint, polishing by hand can be acceptable. If you are looking to get your entire vehicle polished, I wouldn't even think about doing it by hand.

Like richy mentioned, it's virtually impossible to damage your paint with a random orbital. :)

• 4 months later...

I challenge anyone with any buffer to do as good as I do by hand with “clay bar.”

I’ve been using Mothers

http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html?productid=motcalgolcla&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE

and Meguiar’s

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-detail-clay.html

Here’s a YouTube, well worth the watch. Or just go to YouTube and type in clay bar.

This is SO much easer than hand or machine buffing!

I just did my “new to me“ 05 Mini Cooper.

Wash, clay bar, wax and I guaranty it’s smoother now than it was for the first owner :happy feet: .

ab

PS: I donated my orbital buffer!

I challenge anyone with any buffer to do as good as I do by hand with "clay bar."

I've been using Mothers

http://www.autogeek....tm_campaign=CSE

and Meguiar's

http://www.autogeek....etail-clay.html

Here's a YouTube, well worth the watch. Or just go to YouTube and type in clay bar.

This is SO much easer than hand or machine buffing!

I just did my "new to me" 05 Mini Cooper.

Wash, clay bar, wax and I guaranty it's smoother now than it was for the first owner :happy feet: .

ab

PS: I donated my orbital buffer!

I think you might be a little confused. Claying and polishing with a DA buffer are two completely different things. Claying is ALWAYS done by hand and is for removing bonded contaminants from your paint surface. Polishing (either by hand or DA polisher) is done to remove various paint imperfections (ie, swirl marks, micro marring, etching, etc) by removing a very thin layer of clear coat. So claying will not replace the need for polishing. In fact, clay bar causes micro marring and it's always best to follow up with polishing to remove the paint imperfections left behind by the clay bar.

I think you might be a little confused. Claying and polishing with a DA buffer are two completely different things. Claying is ALWAYS done by hand and is for removing bonded contaminants from your paint surface. Polishing (either by hand or DA polisher) is done to remove various paint imperfections (ie, swirl marks, micro marring, etching, etc) by removing a very thin layer of clear coat. So claying will not replace the need for polishing. In fact, clay bar causes micro marring and it's always best to follow up with polishing to remove the paint imperfections left behind by the clay bar.

Where do those pesky swirl marks come from?

I haven't had any in a few years, :headscratch: hhmm.

ab