Necessary to hold button constantly to open/close sunroof?

Ctrl-z

I understand that on older models in order to close (and maybe open) the sunroof only a single press on the button is required other than holding it down to close the last 6" or so. On my 2011 MKX I have to constantly press the button to fully open and close it (and also to open and close the sunshade). Always struck me as an unnecessary driver distraction. Did Ford change it for this model year or is there something wrong with mine?

I understand that on older models in order to close (and maybe open) the sunroof only a single press on the button is required other than holding it down to close the last 6" or so. On my 2011 MKX I have to constantly press the button to fully open and close it (and also to open and close the sunshade). Always struck me as an unnecessary driver distraction. Did Ford change it for this model year or is there something wrong with mine?

Most likely something is wrong with yours. My Edge's sun shade and glass are one touch.

For the moon roof:

One push opens the shade all the way

The next push opens the glass half way

The next push opens the glass all the way

From this position, one pull closes the glass half way

The next pull you hold until the glass closes

The next pull closes the shade half way

The next pull you hold to entirely close the sunshade.

For the moon roof:

One push opens the shade all the way

The next push opens the glass half way

The next push opens the glass all the way

From this position, one pull closes the glass half way

The next pull you hold until the glass closes

The next pull closes the shade half way

The next pull you hold to entirely close the sunshade.

Thanks for that. This is how it is for me:

Shade opening or shade closing requires continuous pressing.

One touch press opens glass 2/3 of the way. Have to hold button constantly to open the rest of the way.

To close glass requires continuous pressing.

I'll just add it to the impressively long list of things that don't-quite-work-the-way-they-are-supposed-to. My dealer's service dept. already probably hates me (the feeling is mutual).

Edited by Ctrl-z

One touch press opens glass 2/3 of the way. Have to hold button constantly to open the rest of the way.

I'll just add it to the impressively long list of things that don't-quite-work-the-way-they-are-supposed-to. My dealer's service dept. already probably hates me (the feeling is mutual).

I had a similar problem and it was fixed by re-initializing it. Check out this thread - http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7572-how-to-fix-ford-edge-sunroof-problem/

My 2011 MKX sun/moon roof works just like yours. Seems quite counter-productive to have all the controls on the wheel in order to keep your hands on the wheel, but to open the roof you have to hold the button down the entire time.

My 2011 MKX sun/moon roof works just like yours. Seems quite counter-productive to have all the controls on the wheel in order to keep your hands on the wheel, but to open the roof you have to hold the button down the entire time.

Oooh, this would be a cool voice command opportunity!

OK, I followed the re-initializing instructions to the letter and it still requires me to hold the button to get it to close the last 6 inches. Did I read this wrong? I though that the process was supposed to eliminate the need for doing that?

No - that part is correct. You have to hold it to get it to close all the way.

OK, I followed the re-initializing instructions to the letter and it still requires me to hold the button to get it to close the last 6 inches. Did I read this wrong? I though that the process was supposed to eliminate the need for doing that?

You will always need to hold the button for the last 6 inches of travel. It's a "safety" feature which is odd since there are videos on Ford's website showing how awesome the obstruction detection is in the sun roof mechanism.

If, for some reason, the mechanism loses track of where the home position is, you'll need to hold the switch constantly to open or close it to any degree. The re-initialization procedure establishes when the home position is again and from that point on, it can fully open with a single press of the switch and close up to the 6 inch point with a single press of the switch.

You will always need to hold the button for the last 6 inches of travel. It's a "safety" feature which is odd since there are videos on Ford's website showing how awesome the obstruction detection is in the sun roof mechanism.

If, for some reason, the mechanism loses track of where the home position is, you'll need to hold the switch constantly to open or close it to any degree. The re-initialization procedure establishes when the home position is again and from that point on, it can fully open with a single press of the switch and close up to the 6 inch point with a single press of the switch.

OK, thanks. I clearly misunderstood that.

• 2 weeks later...