Need some advice about trade in value

edge9998

Hi I've been looking to trade in my 2010 ford edge SE with low mileage and it is equipped with some factory options it's in great shape and I did put down a large down payment when purchased so the payout is well below what dealers are asking for the same model used on there lot, but if I had known what the 2011's were going to look like and the myford touch I would have waited and purchased a 2011 especially after having a 2011 edge limited awd for a week as a rental I absolutely fell in love with the new 2011 model. So after doing some homework and working the numbers I decided the 2011 edge sel would fit just fine in my budget especially with the ford employee pricing going on right now. So I went out today to a local ford dealership and there was one on the lot that I liked so i took it for a test drive while the dealer did the trade-in apprasial on my edge I come back 20 mins later just to have the sales woman offer me $13,000 for my edge!! I was shocked!! and insulted! this after searching online for other used 2010 models that are selling between $24-28, now i'm feeling quite confused about this whole situation. I guess what i'm asking is should I keep looking and trying to see if I can get what I want for my trade or will I just end up wasting my time? I don't really want to go to another dealership and be low balled to the extreme again. Thanks for any feedback!

Edited by edge9998

After today I just might consider selling it privately but I just wanted to take advantage of the ford employee pricing before it ends at the end of the month because it knocks approximately $6,000 off the sticker price and I forgot to mention that I told her no right off the bat and walked out overall it just wasn't a very good experience :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

So I went to one other dealer that was across the city because I saw online that they had in stock an edge with the options I wanted and in the color I liked. Right off the bat they offered me $18,000 for my trade in which is great compared to the 1st dealer, I held my ground at what I wanted for my trade in so after a few days I got what I wanted for my trade in :rockon: and I pickup my new 2011 edge sel awd in platinum white today! The drive across the city was well worth it because I got the deal on my terms and the sales manager was more than willing to work with me. So that being said it pays off to shop around for a better deal and not to get discouraged if one dealer doesn't want your business because there is one out there who does!

UPDATE

So I went to one other dealer that was across the city because I saw online that they had in stock an edge with the options I wanted and in the color I liked. Right off the bat they offered me $18,000 for my trade in which is great compared to the 1st dealer, I held my ground at what I wanted for my trade in so after a few days I got what I wanted for my trade in :rockon: and I pickup my new 2011 edge sel awd in platinum white today! The drive across the city was well worth it because I got the deal on my terms and the sales manager was more than willing to work with me. So that being said it pays off to shop around for a better deal and not to get discouraged if one dealer doesn't want your business because there is one out there who does!

I did that ordering my 2012. First dealer tried to steal it. I kept going until someone saw it my way. Lot of work but saves a lot of money.

Is the cost of living/economy etc lower in Canada, asking because I did better than that on my 2008 trade in.

UPDATE

Congrats, and glad that you held you ground. Enjoy your new ridde, and post some pics when you get a chance.

Joe

Vehicle cost must be less in Canada. I wish that would happen here. :)

You're kidding, right? A same-spec Edge (Limited AWD) is $42,565 in the US and a whopping $48,670 in Canada and I'm not even sure if the Canadian price includes freight.

That's a difference of $6,105 before you add sales tax, which (at least in my province) is 13%.

For what I pay on my Edge I could be driving a MKX if I were an American!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

How much did you eventually get for your trade in?

Thanks