Edge or Explorer

JackW

Limited59, I took everything in a good natured way so no worries. My stepson had my truck for a few days and commented yesterday that his 03 extended cab F150 felt like a Ranger when he go in it. I am forever hitting my head on the door jamb of that Edge every time I get in it. We took the Edge to Columbus yesterday and its about 1 1/2 trip, it's a nice quiet, and comfortable ride. Tip for ya: Never go to a Cabela's on their opening weekend!

post-24917-0-97303600-1363526155_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Edge is easy in parking lots, I'll give you that.

Limited59, ever been in a Expy. Same interior as a F-150 and those things are cramped. I am use to a rather large superduty truck and to me Expy's do feel small and kinda cramped. I wasn't trying to be a smartass, it's all a matter of perception and what you are accustomed to. And every once in a while I do drive a Freightliner to and from work but I prefer my truck, easier to park :)

My dad owned an expeditionand he has on probably close 1000 cars in his life he was a wheeler dealer. he owns a hybrid Cadillac Escalade now and he still goes on and on about how he should have kept that expedition. I've personally felt it was very roomy but again it is all perception. I always have said even out loud to other people when I see the new explorers how gorgeous they are but the edge has that's tile that the explorer can not exactly match, especially the sports. Either way you cannot go wrong they are both amazing Vehicles.

I have had countless people including myself say how surprising they are and how roomy me the edges is. from the outside it looks like it will be pretty cramped but there is a lot of space in the interior for what it is. But of course this cannot compare to something with the size of an F 150. My friend owns an F 350 Larri and that thing is the size of some apartment's I've seen its huge inside and out. But again the edges a crossover so for what it is there's a lot of room especially if you compare it toI need Nissan Morano or a Chevy traverse or other things like this.

Congrats on your selection, and the best of luck. This is a decision I am also facing, as I like to look of both the Edge and Explorer, and whatever I decide to buy, it will be replacing a somewhat smaller 01 Jeep Cherokee (Classic, not the Grand Cherokee). I may like to add'l room of the Exp, but haven't made up my mind. WIllbe back at the dealer later n the week, looking at them some more. :)

Congrats on your selection, and the best of luck. This is a decision I am also facing, as I like to look of both the Edge and Explorer, and whatever I decide to buy, it will be replacing a somewhat smaller 01 Jeep Cherokee (Classic, not the Grand Cherokee). I may like to add'l room of the Exp, but haven't made up my mind. WIllbe back at the dealer later n the week, looking at them some more. :)

Edge sport has much more style ;)

Edge sport has much more style ;)

I can agree with you that it is a stylin B/A look, but there are a couple things. I don't care for the 20" wheels; like the look of 18's fine, and I believe it rides and handles better with the 18's, and there is a better selection of tires, and at lower cost, when the time comes. Have been thinking about the Limited with standard wheels, but then again, the 18 wheels on a Limited are just painted. For that money, I want the polished wheels, like they put on the MKX. Little more room on the back of a Exp, for when taking stuff to the kids house, or to the beach. Decisions, decisions.

I rented an Explorer for my next vacation to see how it stacks up against the Edge.

Explorer looks not bad but frankly I'm not sure there is really any compelling reason to buy one unless you need that third row of seating. If you need a very powerful vehicle for pulling big trailers, it would probably make more sense to step up to the Expedition... but then looking at pictures, the Expedition remind me of the pre-makeover Ford Escapes... kind of blah and outdated.

I will keep an open mind when driving the Explorer through Arizona but to my mind Edge hits the sweet spot for size, style and price.

I rented an Explorer for my next vacation to see how it stacks up against the Edge.

Explorer looks not bad but frankly I'm not sure there is really any compelling reason to buy one unless you need that third row of seating. If you need a very powerful vehicle for pulling big trailers, it would probably make more sense to step up to the Expedition... but then looking at pictures, the Expedition remind me of the pre-makeover Ford Escapes... kind of blah and outdated.

I will keep an open mind when driving the Explorer through Arizona but to my mind Edge hits the sweet spot for size, style and price.

You just stated the compelling reason to go to an Explorer. We had an Edge...but with two kids, and a double stroller how do you go grocery shopping? Or the better question, after you go grocery shopping where do you put the groceries? a double stroller takes up the rear of the Edge. Want to bring inlaws with you somewhere? want to bring anyone with you somewhere? They certainly cant squeeze between two of today's toddler car seats in the second row.... So, you left considering options that have third rows. What good is a Toyota Highlander if there's no room behind the third row when the seats are up? You already own an Edge and you like it and the way its set up? Then the next logical step is to look at the Explorer and its room with the third row up and down. And that's what compels you to buy an Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...
I can agree with you that it is a stylin B/A look, but there are a couple things. I don't care for the 20" wheels; like the look of 18's fine, and I believe it rides and handles better with the 18's, and there is a better selection of tires, and at lower cost, when the time comes. Have been thinking about the Limited with standard wheels, but then again, the 18 wheels on a Limited are just painted. For that money, I want the polished wheels, like they put on the MKX. Little more room on the back of a Exp, for when taking stuff to the kids house, or to the beach. Decisions, decisions.

The sport wheels are actually 22's. I love them. I agree, smaller wheel size is a smoother ride, but I have had pretty much everyone I've driven in the car talk about how smooth of a ride ir is. I think the sport suspension that comes with the Sport really helps even out the big wheel size ride to a much smoother ride, considering how big the tires are.

As far as better tire selection at a lower cost, this it true. But being able to ride on Pirelli Scorpions is pretty bad ass. I'd rather pay the extra cash so I can keep the 90% of the people I pass staring down at my rims. =P