Edge or Explorer

JackW

I have ordered Ford Edge and then I saw the Explorer, the price difference is not big.

I wonder whatif to cancel the Edge and take Explorer becuase it looks like that comed with more features.

I know it is a matter of taste but still I would be pleased to learn other opinion.

Thank you,

Jack

I have ordered Ford Edge and then I saw the Explorer, the price difference is not big.

I wonder whatif to cancel the Edge and take Explorer becuase it looks like that comed with more features.

I know it is a matter of taste but still I would be pleased to learn other opinion.

Thank you,

Jack

If I had waited till the X was out - I would have gone that way. Just having the bucket rear seats alone, then to add the option of the third row. With it all looking almost the same. But I do love my edge too.

I initially went to the dealer with the intention of buying an Explorer (My 3rd). Then I saw the Edge Sport. I have every option there was available except for AWD and headrest monitors and it was pretty substantially cheaper than a comparable Explorer. I have a wife and one kid, so I don't care about third row seating, and the Edge Sport is more rare. Simple decision for me. I ordered it that day.

Thank you,

Jack

I'd say go with the Explorer if you want more interior volume, and the Speed Sensitive steering feels nice (although over a half year into owning the Edge, I don't miss the Speed Sensitive Steering).

The Edge will feel quicker than the Explorer give the same motor and drivetrain in each, and if you do alot of highway, you'll probably see better mileage in the Edge (if mostly mixed or city, you'll see about the same). I have a client that has the 2011 Explorer, he loves it.

EDIT: I Agree with the other poster: Go with the Buckets for the second row. So much more comfortable than the bench, and it seemed to offer more leg room (or at least more thigh support). Also, you can get rear AC roof vents and controls in the Explorer, not available on the Edge. I'm sure I'm missing some things, but those were the biggies to me.

Edited by NatG

• 1 month later...

For me and my needs.......I didn't need or want the 3rd row seats. I didn't want to use a ladder to wash it, and I like the fact the Edge uses up about 13" less space in my garage....F to R. Edge is about 400 lbs lighter than Explorer, so better fuel economy. I have another vehicle to haul my bikes, so interior hauling not a concrn.

But if you need the features of the Explorer...More interior space, more and better seating in middle, better hauling with seats down...... then choose it. I notice from specs....leg room for second row in Explorer about same as leg room for Edge in rear seats.

• 5 months later...

We liked both so we got a "His and Hers" matched set in Platinum White Tri-coat Metallic. They are very different SUV's or CUV's or whatever you'd like to call them. My Sport with 22's feels tight around turns at full speed, The Explorer? Larger, softer, less sporty. Definitely more luxury.

Get what you like and feel comfortable in. Either way, you'll be happy with what you choose. They are both wonderful vehicles.

IMAG0106.jpg

Edited by Edgieguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I drove the Explorer and my father owns a 2011, I just didn't like the ride compared to the Edge. I like the more sporty feel of the Edge. And the Explorer feels like you are sitting down in the fram almost, a weird feeling. I just had a 2013 Explorer limited as a loaner, still wouldn't trade it for my Edge and the gas mileage was not impressive at all. I did like the extra interior space with all seats folded down. By the way the Edge has 2"s of more leg room in the rear seat than the Explorer has in it's 2nd row, with or without the 3rd row option.

I just had to make the tough decision of trading in my Edge Sport for the Explorer. I absolutely loved my edge, especially the look of it. I was always being told by random people how beautiful my edge was. I had to get the explorer because our family may be expanding and we need that 3rd row. Definitely depends on what it is you want from the vehicle. Have had the explorer for about 2 weeks now and im actually loving it. The gap feature on cruise control has come in handy as well as the parallel park assist and cooled seats. If it was possible to have both I would have kept the edge. Got a pretty decent price on the edge trade in though because the sales manager wanted to drive it himself. One thing of note as well is that the explorer forums are pretty much non existant compared to this edge forum, especially for the newer model explorers

• 2 months later...

Went to the Ford dealership last weekend intending to test drive the new Explorer to replace a 98 XLT. The 2013 XLT stickered at $47K and we ended up looking at an Edge Limited AWD for $40K list. If you don't go off-roading and don't need a 3rd row seat, the Edge is a great deal. We need AWD because of the occasional snow in the NW and we live in an area that does not get the roads plowed until after everywhere else. My wife likes to sit up high and the Edge gets her high enough off the road to feel comfortable.

May not end up with the Edge, but is certainly a better deal than the Explorer for what we need.

• 4 weeks later...

We had the same problem trying to decide between the edge and the explorer. The main reason we decided to go with the Edge was cost vs value. The only explorer I would settle with was the ecoboost sport and the interest rates here in Canada are currently 3.99% for the term we could afford. The same term on the edge was .99%. Almost $5000 savings in interest alone. If they had a better rate on the explorer I would have picked that up. LOVE the edge thus far.

Both are nice. Off topic here, but did anyone notice how much the new Land Rover looks like the Explorer? Copy maybe?
Actually the new Explorer and Range Rover Evoque were designed by the same hand. Ford owned Rover for a bit and during that time this design language was born. so its no coincidence, its just the same designer.

One thing of note as well is that the explorer forums are pretty much non existant compared to this edge forum, especially for the newer model explorers

Actually the Explorer Forums have a section devoted especially to the 2011-2013's and they're very active with loads of great info and many helpful people. I'm there myself.

Edited by Edgieguy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
When my Edge Limited '11 lease is up in March '13, Im going for the Xploder Sport for sure, I want the cooled seats in FL and more horsepower, gas mileage has never been a deal breaker for me.

Made the switch this week, It only has 100 miles on it so far, my thoughts: Thigh support is better in the X, but side bolster is better in the Edge. obviuosly X is larger inside, I got the second row buckets in the X, but the the Edge rear bench felt like it had more legroom, weird. Steering in definately different, ambient lighting more prevalent (brighter, more points of illunmination) in Edge. Air conditioned seats are the bomb. Power and transmission, absolutely no comparision. All city driving, never better than 17.0 mpg in the Edge, I will follow up on X mpg.

Edge is easy in parking lots, I'll give you that.

Limited59, ever been in a Expy. Same interior as a F-150 and those things are cramped. I am use to a rather large superduty truck and to me Expy's do feel small and kinda cramped. I wasn't trying to be a smartass, it's all a matter of perception and what you are accustomed to. And every once in a while I do drive a Freightliner to and from work but I prefer my truck, easier to park :)