2012 AWD Fuel Efficiency

Billy Bob

I'm thinking about buying a 2012 AWD but need a clarification... Is the AWD full time AWD or part time? Anyone care to comment on their MPGs? Anyone have any info on how the FWD is in the snow? I've been driving Jeeps for many years and although I dearly love them, the high costs of gas is forcing me to consider alternatives. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.

I'd imagine the mileage for the 2012 is the same as 2011 since nothing major has changed. The AWD is considered full-time (since there's no way to disengage it) but technically it doesn't route power to the rear wheels unless it senses wheel slippage, so most of the time by far it's a FWD vehicle dragging around a few hundred extra pounds of AWD equipment. However, if you need the AWD it's an awesome system on the Edge. It was very sure-footed last winter in all of the snow we got, I was very impressed.

As far as mileage, I get about 19 city / 22 mixed / 24-25 hwy with my AWD. You can check what others are getting in the "real world" on Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/edge

Edit: here's my Fuelly badge:

57378.png

Edited by mrdave

I'd imagine the mileage for the 2012 is the same as 2011 since nothing major has changed. The AWD is considered full-time (since there's no way to disengage it) but technically it doesn't route power to the rear wheels unless it senses wheel slippage, so most of the time by far it's a FWD vehicle dragging around a few hundred extra pounds of AWD equipment. However, if you need the AWD it's an awesome system on the Edge. It was very sure-footed last winter in all of the snow we got, I was very impressed.

As far as mileage, I get about 19 city / 22 mixed / 24-25 hwy with my AWD. You can check what others are getting in the "real world" on Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/edge

Edit: here's my Fuelly badge:

57378.png

So then, would you still get 24 - 25 if traveling on the hwy in the snow?

My sport AWD is averaging around 18mpg 90% city (3.8 mile commute to work) and 10% highway. Long trips on the highway i get around 24-25mpg. Whats funny is my 2007 dodge caliber RT AWD i traded in was rated very close to the same milage im getting with almost 1/2 the power and 1000lbs less weight.

So, that's 24 - 25 hwy on dry roads? Or does it reall matter? Would you buy another Edge? Thanks.

So, that's 24 - 25 hwy on dry roads? Or does it reall matter? Would you buy another Edge? Thanks.

Winter blend gas will likely rob a few MPG but Im sure less agressive driving will help still once the roads are slippery. I would definetly buy another edge. I didnt ride my harley all summer because i love driving my edge so much.

• 6 months later...

I average 18 in mixed driving for the past two months here in the mid-west. Fuel economy dropped this past Winter a couple MPG. My 2011 Edge has 20" wheels and the towing package and I assume that is lowering the MPG from that advertised on the base model.