fuel efficiency contradictions

Billy Bob

with our 2011 SEL AWD I can get 24 on a pure highway ride driving ~65mph, no back roads no lights. Once you introduce and variability in speed and it drops to 19-21 depending on terrain.

My sincere thanks to all responders. Are you all driving the ecoboost engines? It seems like the "ecoboost" engine has the best ratings for a 6 cylinder AWD vehicle.I'd say the responces sound encourgaging. Would you all do it again?

My sincere thanks to all responders. Are you all driving the ecoboost engines? It seems like the "ecoboost" engine has the best ratings for a 6 cylinder AWD vehicle.I'd say the responces sound encourgaging. Would you all do it again?

You can't get the Ecoboost engine with AWD, and as welpse stated above the Ecoboost has 4 cylinders.

Here is what i am observing

2011 Ford Edge Sport 3.7L- V6. AWD

With 22" Sport wheels and tires on, computer says 13.9L/per100KM approx 509 KM Per tank on fill up. 50/50 Mixed Driving Freeway, rush hour crawl, city driving

15 fill ups averaging the same

With 17" Steel Wheels & Snow Tires on, computer says 12.7L/per100KM approx 617 KM Per tank on fill up. Same 50/50 Mixed Driving Freeway, rush hour crawl, city driving

MFT was programmed with new winter tire size settings to keep speedo correct

7 fill ups averaging the same

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what i am observing

2011 Ford Edge Sport 3.7L- V6. AWD

With 22" Sport wheels and tires on, computer says 13.9L/per100KM approx 509 KM Per tank on fill up. 50/50 Mixed Driving Freeway, rush hour crawl, city driving

15 fill ups averaging the same

With 17" Steel Wheels & Snow Tires on, computer says 12.7L/per100KM approx 617 KM Per tank on fill up. Same 50/50 Mixed Driving Freeway, rush hour crawl, city driving

MFT was programmed with new winter tire size settings to keep speedo correct

7 fill ups averaging the same

I am curious why met re-programmed for different size wheels. As long as overall Dia. is the same there should be no need to change the met settings. Are you able to make these changes yourself or do you have to go to dealer? I have 20" summer which are 245/50/20 and I am installing winter tires which are 245/60/18 both overall Dia. is 29.6".

As for gas mileage I have the ecoboost on my 2012 I am averaging 25-29 us mpg in the city according to the onboard computer. On the highway around 58 mph I can get upwards of 37 us mpg but it does drop rapidly even for 60 mph.

I am curious why met re-programmed for different size wheels. As long as overall Dia. is the same there should be no need to change the met settings. Are you able to make these changes yourself or do you have to go to dealer? I have 20" summer which are 245/50/20 and I am installing winter tires which are 245/60/18 both overall Dia. is 29.6".

As for gas mileage I have the ecoboost on my 2012 I am averaging 25-29 us mpg in the city according to the onboard computer. On the highway around 58 mph I can get upwards of 37 us mpg but it does drop rapidly even for 60 mph.

The MFT has a section in it that the Ford techs can get to and reprogram tire sizes to keep your Speedometer accurate

The standard 22" wheels come with a tire size of 265/40/22

The 17" steel wheels with tires are considered a minus size at 235/65/17

The diameter difference of this tire package is 4.36 %

Speedometer difference of 4.551% too fast

So if they didn't adjust for the tire size My Edge would be reading 60mph/100kmh when the Edge was really doing 62.7mph/ 104kmh

The service manager explained it to me and it sounded like it was a simple drop down menu with a list of tire sizes to select from.

This minus tire size wasn't in the MFT system and they had to download the update from Ford before programming it in my Edge

Mine has improved from new with some break-in miles. In pure highway driving I'm now seeing 9l/100km (~26mpg US) with cruise set at 65mph, but that drops to just over 10l/100km (~23mpg US) with cruise at 75mph. Around town driving I'm seeing 12.5l/100km or about 18mpg. Not what's advertised but not bad for a heavy awd SUV. And very similar to what I'm seeing in our awd RDX as well.

The MFT has a section in it that the Ford techs can get to and reprogram tire sizes to keep your Speedometer accurate

The standard 22" wheels come with a tire size of 265/40/22

The 17" steel wheels with tires are considered a minus size at 235/65/17

The diameter difference of this tire package is 4.36 %

Speedometer difference of 4.551% too fast

So if they didn't adjust for the tire size My Edge would be reading 60mph/100kmh when the Edge was really doing 62.7mph/ 104kmh

The service manager explained it to me and it sounded like it was a simple drop down menu with a list of tire sizes to select from.

This minus tire size wasn't in the MFT system and they had to download the update from Ford before programming it in my Edge

Hi tmbubell. :D Just as an FYI to avoid confusion for others: If I am reading your post correctly, you have accidentally swapped part of the explanation (for lack of a better description) in the read highlighted area.

To explain: Going from the summer 22's to the winter 17's, if the speedometer/odometer is not corrected when you install your winter wheels it will read ~4.3% too fast. That means that when your speedometer reads 60 mph your actual speed will be ~57.4 mph. In other words, the actual vehicle speed will be slower than the speedometer reading.

Now in the spring when you switch from the winter 17's to the summer 22's, the speedometer will then read ~4.5% too slow, meaning that when the speedometer reads 60 mph, the actual vehicle speed will then be ~62.7 mph. In other words, the actual vehicle speed will be faster than the speedometer reading.

These figures can be verified here - LINK - Tire Size Calculator

Not a big deal at all, but just wanted to keep anyone from getting confused about the entire "slower/faster" speedometer reading thing. Hope this information helps. :grouphug:

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Of course, on a side note, the need for any speedometer recalibration at all could have been avoided entirely by purchasing 235/70-17's (if available) instead of 235/65's. But that is another story.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi tmbubell. :D Just as an FYI to avoid confusion for others: If I am reading your post correctly, you have accidentally swapped part of the explanation (for lack of a better description) in the read highlighted area.

To explain: Going from the summer 22's to the winter 17's, if the speedometer/odometer is not corrected when you install your winter wheels it will read ~4.3% too fast. That means that when your speedometer reads 60 mph your actual speed will be ~57.4 mph. In other words, the actual vehicle speed will be slower than the speedometer reading.

Now in the spring when you switch from the winter 17's to the summer 22's, the speedometer will then read ~4.5% too slow, meaning that when the speedometer reads 60 mph, the actual vehicle speed will then be ~62.7 mph. In other words, the actual vehicle speed will be faster than the speedometer reading.

Not a big deal at all, but just wanted to keep anyone from getting confused about the entire "slower/faster" speedometer reading thing. Hope this information helps. :grouphug:

PS - Of course, on a side note, the need for any speedometer recalibration at all could have been avoided entirely by purchasing 235/70-17's (if available) instead of 235/65's. But that is another story.

See attached report from 1010tires.com

This report and Miata's report are different in a couple of areas

Revolutions per mile seems to be the biggest difference

Whos right?

1010Tires.jpg

Miata Report

Miatatirecalc_Page_1.jpg

Edited by tmbubell

Hi tmbubell. :D Sorry if my explanation was a bit confusing. The way the 1010 TIre site displays the information can be confusing, which is why I normally use the Miata site.

For example, with the 17's and an uncorrected speedometer, if your Edge speedometer displays 60 mph, you will actually be traveling at 57.4 mph, since the uncorrected speedometer will be reading too fast. So it was essentially correct when you first stated "Speedometer difference of 4.551% too fast". However, you then mixed up the numbers when you added, "So if they didn't adjust for the tire size My Edge would be reading 60mph/100kmh when the Edge was really doing 62.7mph/ 104kmh". If I am reading correctly, your explanation has the speedometer reading too slow instead of too fast. So as stated previously, when your uncorrected speedometer reads 60 mph with the 17's on, you will actually be traveling at ~57.4 mph (not ~62.7). I attribute that mistake to the slightly more confusing way the stats are displayed in the 1010 Tire site.

Even putting the math errors of the 1010 site aside, they both get us to the same place, but in a different way. Overall, discounting rounding of figures etc., the Miata site is correct and (in my opinion) a bit easier to read and sort through.

Again, sorry for any confusion and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530