07 Air filter box intake piping

07bronzedge

Has anyone looked at the size of the inlet to the air filter box? I think if this inlet piping was at least twice the size it would help the engine breath a little better. The size and stile ( rectangel and two 90 degree angles) won't help the air flow to the filter box. I kind of understand what they are trying to do by having the air enter where it does, it keeps it cleaner and has kind of a ram air effect while going down the road. But it still seams alfully small. I think that's why you see such an inprovement when installing a cold air intake kit, Any thoughts?

Has anyone looked at the size of the inlet to the air filter box? I think if this inlet piping was at least twice the size it would help the engine breath a little better. The size and stile ( rectangel and two 90 degree angles) won't help the air flow to the filter box. I kind of understand what they are trying to do by having the air enter where it does, it keeps it cleaner and has kind of a ram air effect while going down the road. But it still seams alfully small. I think that's why you see such an inprovement when installing a cold air intake kit, Any thoughts?

I have a thought. The engine is calibrated for a certain amount of air. Change to a high flow filter if you want, but an intake on this engine will do nothing but waste gas and throw codes.

I have a thought. The engine is calibrated for a certain amount of air. Change to a high flow filter if you want, but an intake on this engine will do nothing but waste gas and throw codes.

This sport engine is the same engine as the Mustang and those guys get nice gains from a CAI, in the area of 5-7rwhp combined with a custom tune to make use of the new air flow they get about 30rwhp on a premium fuel tune (93 octane). There was another Edge on here with AWD that picked up almost 30AWHP with CAI/Tune/Exhaust. If the engine breathes better it performs better. The ECM has some range to work with when it comes to air flow and engine management. The reason why a CAI makes a little bump in power is because it leans out the A/F ratio about a point or two. In many cases the stock programming runs the A/F pretty rich. Lambda is commanded way less than < 1.0 stock which is pretty rich around 10:1 average. A CAI might bump that to 10.5:1 or 11:1 based on the new volume of air coming in, that increase gives a tiny bump in HP, and usually across the range. It may, depending on design hurt TQ a little though so beware.

There is a lot of tuning room in these engines. First they are tuned to run on 87 octane so the timing is turned way down. They aren't very aggressive with the valve timing, which is a whole new aspect to tuning. Add some changes to command a little leaner A/F (say 12.5:1 which is still really safe on an N/A motor) plus a bump in global timing and change the valve timing a bit and you get a pretty nice bump in power. At the end of the day the engine is just a big air pump, the more efficient you get the air in and out the more power the engine will make...

Now I'm not saying your going to get oodles of power and great gas mileage from a CAI alone, you probably will see a negligible bump in power (5-7whp) but combined with some exhaust and little tuning and you get a sizable bump in performance when everything works together...

• 1 month later...

K&N Cold Air Intake on my 07 Ford Edge actually gave me a consistent 3MPG on Highway and 1-2MPG on city driving and never threw a code and it's been in there for over a year!

a well designed intake that mimics the size of the stock maf housing in most part should not be a problem. as long as the the size of the housing doesn't change the ecu will be able to monitor the air coming across it properly. it's the intakes that change the size of the maf housing that cause an issue. you can increase flow on the stock intake and that shouldn't be an issue because the maf is calibrated for it.

K&N Cold Air Intake on my 07 Ford Edge actually gave me a consistent 3MPG on Highway and 1-2MPG on city driving and never threw a code and it's been in there for over a year!

Only way that's possible is if the stock setup was somehow defective or you made lots of other mods including exhaust and PCM reflash. By itself a cold air intake will not increase your fuel economy. If it did then auto mfrs would be putting them in from the factory. Even K&N doesn't advertise any mpg gains (although they do hint at them very strongly but with lots of disclaimers).

• Like 1