20" Edge Wheels vs. 20" Explorer Wheels

JOYRIDER

Ok, it's a REALLY bad Friday. Just picked up my used '11 Limited 4 days ago, got it detailed tinted you name it. In the exit of a very tight drive thru lane today I hit a curb and did this to my front driver side wheel. :banghead: Simply wasn't paying enough attention. I've managed to be able to hammer the stupid plastic back down so now it just looks rashed instead of a recently opened can of soup.

I know there are no replacements for this glorified hubcap and I'm paying for a new one. I've seen an Edge on this forum with the 20" Explorer wheels and I think it looks good but read that it required wheel spacers. Aside from that, does anyone know of any other differences? Wheel/tire weights? I'd like to keep the rolling mass to a minimum. While we're at it what are the weights of the 22's on the Sports, just good to know.

Also has anyone seen what the wheel looks like behind the plastic overlay. If they are the same design, which I doubt, I'd consider PVD'ng them: http://www.americanpvd.com/

Thanks in advance for shining some light on this gloomy day!

post-17993-0-20316900-1327679569_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the explorer wheels, but I noticed somewhere someone was selling a set of the 18's. That is what I have on my limited. you will get a little bit better fuel economy, plusher ride, and tires will be a little bit cheaper... Just a thought... Plus from looking at your wheel it might possibly save you from hitting rim next time....

OUCH, sorry to see this. Just a thought, do you think you could put this through insurance?

Not sure what the claim would be, unless you're suggesting I make something up along the lines of "I ran over road debris"? Damned drive thru exit has a 45 degree right turn at the very end of it - I know 2 other people that have done the same thing here.

Another reason NOT to eat McDonald's!

mrDave, not interested in anything under 20" but thanks for the heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, it's a REALLY bad Friday. Just picked up my used '11 Limited 4 days ago, got it detailed tinted you name it. In the exit of a very tight drive thru lane today I hit a curb and did this to my front driver side wheel. :banghead: Simply wasn't paying enough attention. I've managed to be able to hammer the stupid plastic back down so now it just looks rashed instead of a recently opened can of soup.

I know there are no replacements for this glorified hubcap and I'm paying for a new one. I've seen an Edge on this forum with the 20" Explorer wheels and I think it looks good but read that it required wheel spacers. Aside from that, does anyone know of any other differences? Wheel/tire weights? I'd like to keep the rolling mass to a minimum. While we're at it what are the weights of the 22's on the Sports, just good to know.

Also has anyone seen what the wheel looks like behind the plastic overlay. If they are the same design, which I doubt, I'd consider PVD'ng them: http://www.americanpvd.com/

Thanks in advance for shining some light on this gloomy day!

Hi

I bought an edge 4 days ago and have been trying to get 20" explorer or Taurus sho wheel on it. Both will fit just fine. Explorer wheel have +44 mm offset, sho wheels have +39mm offset and edge (2011 and above) has +40mm of offset. Flex wheels will fit edge just fine

Edited by coolwhip