Burnt/Melted Taillight Bulbs/Sockets

I hope I'm not repeating info here, I did a quick search on this but didn't find anything.

Issue: rear taillights melting in their sockets

You Need To: inspect your taillights (brake / turn) for signs of excessive heat

Comments: I discovered both of my rear brake light bulbs melted in their sockets. The sockets themselves are burnt black and the drivers side tail light case has been hot enough to melt. A quick search on the Internet turns up a lot more chatter about this same issue. Even scarier is the fact that this happening with zero warning. No blown fuse, no codes, nothing to indicate your frying stuff in the back at all.

The dealership denies hearing anything , Ford denies hearing anything, even though it's happening all over the country and I found at least five other complaints listed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administratiion.

What Can You Do: First and foremost check your taillights!! If they are burnt, hmm I don't have great advice as no one will admit its an issue yet. I happen to own a 2008 Focus which I've highly modified to include aftermarket taillights. I used the sockets from my original Focus taillights to replace the ones on the Edge. Now I'll keep an eye on them for any further signs of trouble.

Second, if you do find what I'm talking about FILE A REPORT. No one will do anything until enough complaints are received. It only takes 5 minutes and can be done on-line at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.

I hope I'm not repeating info here, I did a quick search on this but didn't find anything.

Issue: rear taillights melting in their sockets

You Need To: inspect your taillights (brake / turn) for signs of excessive heat

Comments: I discovered both of my rear brake light bulbs melted in their sockets. The sockets themselves are burnt black and the drivers side tail light case has been hot enough to melt. A quick search on the Internet turns up a lot more chatter about this same issue. Even scarier is the fact that this happening with zero warning. No blown fuse, no codes, nothing to indicate your frying stuff in the back at all.

The dealership denies hearing anything , Ford denies hearing anything, even though it's happening all over the country and I found at least five other complaints listed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administratiion.

What Can You Do: First and foremost check your taillights!! If they are burnt, hmm I don't have great advice as no one will admit its an issue yet. I happen to own a 2008 Focus which I've highly modified to include aftermarket taillights. I used the sockets from my original Focus taillights to replace the ones on the Edge. Now I'll keep an eye on them for any further signs of trouble.

Second, if you do find what I'm talking about FILE A REPORT. No one will do anything until enough complaints are received. It only takes 5 minutes and can be done on-line at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.

This happened to my 2008 Edge, both lights. I was told incorrect bulbs were used, didn't make sense because it took so long for it to happen.

2010 edge Limited,I have replace the rear turn signal lamps 3 times and also the sockets the cause is the 3157 lamp with the filaments so close to the base,and the use of the stop lights,Marty

A customer of mine has 211 Ford escape hybrid taxis an has the same problem,that's were i got the sockets and lamps.

Edited by Depiry

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 2010 Edge AWD. The only light bulb issue we've had, concerned the right-side backup light, which worked part time. We took it into our Ford service department (Lakeview Ford, BC, MI) and explained the issue. They studied the problem and stumbled on the fact that, that particular bulb type was incorrect, and had been originally installed at the factory. They procured and installed the correct bulb. Problem solved. No further issues to date. - Forthome

• 2 months later...

I have a 2008 Edge. With just 13 days left in waranttee my left turn signal went out. Upon inspection the socket had melted most likely from bulb heat. Ford replaced. Upon returning home I opened up the right turn signal, same thing. Returned to Ford, they have now ordered that part which should be in today. I am taking a picture of this before Ihead over to Ford if anyone wants it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have also have a 2008 Ford Edge that had a badly burned rear tail light a few weeks back. Replaced with a standard bulb from Autozone and it burned out a week later. Funny it lasted for 4 years and then burnt two out in a week. What is the answer to this? Different bulb? New socket?

• 1 month later...
We have a 2010 Edge AWD. The only light bulb issue we've had, concerned the right-side backup light, which worked part time. We took it into our Ford service department (Lakeview Ford, BC, MI) and explained the issue. They studied the problem and stumbled on the fact that, that particular bulb type was incorrect, and had been originally installed at the factory. They procured and installed the correct bulb. Problem solved. No further issues to date. - Forthome

What is the correct bulb type? what was in there? I think if we all knew, than we could all change them out and get past this problem.

• 4 months later...

I just found this post and will enter into it even if it's a little old. I have a 2008 Edge. One rear light socket bulb burned out and upon changing it we saw that the socket had gotten hot and was discolored. The plastic on the bulb had also melted. Thought it was a freak thing until the one on the other side did the same thing. At this point all we have done is change the bulbs but is there a fix for this. When you as Ford, they just deny knowing anything about it. If you search though, I found many complaints that were filed with Ford for the same thing. When do they decide something could be a safety factor, when a car catches on fire.

• 2 months later...

The rear turn signal bulb in my 2010 Edge Ltd started to indicate intermittent failures. I have replaced the bulb and in doing so I found that the bulb holder showed significant evidence of heat build up. I contacted both my Ford Dealer and Ford customer Care because I regard this as a safety issue for various reasons (Ford Pinto comes to mind) only to be told that since i am about 6 months out of warranty it is my problem at my cost. I am in the process of sending a letter to Ford to clarify in writing that this is in fact there position.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to beat this thread to death and no one is probably going to check into it now as it has been quite some time since anything was last posted.

Surprise Surprise I have also been having this recurring issue on our 2007 Edge. I am due to replace the sockets now as they have been pretty badly melted. Anyways this is just a suggestion but could you do an L.E.D light bulb retrofit? They must make a L.E.D bulb for the 3157? or whatever style plug it is. Significantly less heat build up in an L.E.D bulb as opposed to normal halogen ones. I see the bulbs listed online for sale all over the place, I just don't know if they would work with the turn lamps or not....Anyone else savy on that end of it? I put L.E.D bulbs in place for my reverse lights and they work great, far brighter too.

Not saying that this WILL work but just a suggestion to look into. Swapping out for a $15 bulb is loads cheaper than having to have your sockets replaced every so often by an expensive shop if you don't know how to do it yourself. I am going to try this route as soon as I replace my sockets here soon and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thats a genious idea with the aluminum foil! Ye old heat shield, awesome thanks for the suggestion. I have ordered L.E.D bulbs and resistors (for the turn signal wire) already though so I will explore that route. Depending on brightness of the bulbs I ordered I may go back to the standard halogens so I will keep the aluminum foil trick in mind

Dodge and GM are no different with this problem. I can either blame it on People want blinding lighting but the heat isn't considered or the sh!t coming from China doesn't cut it. LED's are too pricey at this time.

If you're out of warranty, cut the connector off and get an auto parts replacement.

• Like 1

Okay, I just found the same problem with my daugther's 2008 Edge. I'm going to try the AL foil idea, but does anyone know if someone sells an LED replace for the 3157 bulb that already has the resistor built-in? Reason is, she's going back to Boston (I live on Long Island) and I want a plug and play solution for her to do herself, rather than splice in a resistor into the signal wire.

I see this LED, but it strikes me as an expensive solution if it doesn't work. This one from Amazon is much cheaper, but all the reviews say it won't work as a turn signal for lack of a resistor to compensate for the difference.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I own an 2008 Ford Edge, Also have this problem. I took my vehicle to Ford and they claim to have never seen it before and basically offered no repair. my sockets are partially melted (replacing soon). I have tried replacing with L.E.D bulbs and they appear much dimmer. I also had a problem with the blinkers blinking faster. I did not invest in any time of retro fit kit? to allow the L.E.D bulbs to work. I just went back to stock bulbs and replacing sockets soon to monitor how long they take to burn up again.

• 5 years later...

I have a 2009 Ford Edge with the same issue.  The tail lights are getting over heated and melting the plastic base of the bulb and the socket as well.  Ford dealer ships in my area say they have never heard of this and currently my car is at a dealership as they are trying to figure out the problem.  Ford Motor Company also says they have not heard of the problem but it is an obvious problem as many people are posting about the issue.  I am concerned this will eventually cause a fire if the problem is not discovered and taken care of.  For those of you that have had this problem was has been done to correct it.  I have had the voltage checked and all is within tolerances according to dealerships.  I have used bulbs 3057, 3157 and 4157 with the same melting issues.  Ultimately the bulb blows out because of the overheating.  

• 1 year later...

I too know this is an old thread but getting tired of replacing bulbs and sockets.  I have a 2008 Edge with only 68,000 miles.  We have already replaced the bulbs 3 times and the sockets 2 times.   We too have been told by Ford that they have never heard of it.  Isn't that amazing when so many people have had the same problem with several years of Edges.  It totally is a fire hazard.   Unfortunately until people die I don't believe Ford will do a recall.  They are one of the last to do recalls even though people have had trouble.   We too have tried different number bulbs and they have burned up along with the socket - 3057 and 4157.  If anyone has a solution I would love to hear it.  Thanks

In my 2009 Ford Edge the dealership had no idea what the problem was after the car being in the shop several times.  Finally I told them to keep the car until the problem is figured out.  They contacted Ford and after 2 or 3 days Ford got back to the dealership and recommended replacing the battery junction box because it can go bad and cause irregular voltage problems.  This was replaced, of course out of warranty, and I have had no problems since.  I do not remember the exact cost but somewhere between $200 and $400 for the battery junction box and installation.  The battery Junction box is where all the fuses are located in the engine compartment above the drivers side front tire area.  As usual Ford hasn't heard of any other problems like this but for some reason knew what would fix the problem.