2012 road noise

I recently had my windshield replaced (with OEM glass).

I think its in my head, but seems like there is now more road noise, especially from behind me.

I know i have acoustic side glass on the front doors, so i'm guessing that is why I hear more noise from behind me.

I guess the question is, do you guys/gals hear more noise from behind the drivers seat than from up front?

Could getting the windshield replaced cause more wind noise?

There are no leaks that I can see (i've had car washes and no water leaks through), and the noise is not really wind noise...just road noise.

Thanks

I think its in my head, but seems like there is now more road noise, especially from behind me.

I know i have acoustic side glass on the front doors, so i'm guessing that is why I hear more noise from behind me.

I guess the question is, do you guys/gals hear more noise from behind the drivers seat than from up front?

There are no leaks that I can see (i've had car washes and no water leaks through), and the noise is not really wind noise...just road noise.

Thanks

Make sure it's really OEM glass. There is a big difference.

Thanks

Do you have a moon roof? Is it closed all the way?

Thanks

The windshield has all the same markings except sound screen. Says FoMoCo and carlite. Installer said its the same glass but replacements don't say soundscreen.

Part numbers line up as well

Maybe it is different though?

They're identical - except for the part that keeps out road noise. :)

I called safelite, they are going to call me back. The installer said he will have the office look for one that says acoustic on it.

I knew I should have just gone to the dealer :( we will see how long this drags out for.

The dealer would have just called the installer and they would have done exactly the same thing, unless the dealer knew to make sure it had soundscreen.

The called back. They found another windshield in a warehouse they have to order in

They said the windshield itself doesn't say sound screen, but it has stickers on it that says it plus acoustic.

They will replace it with that, I'm still skeptical

The correct FoMoCo piece should indeed say "SoundScreen" - it's at the bottom of the glass on the driver's side (see below).

P.S. the only reason I knew about this at all was prior to buying the car, the salesman had pointed it out as one of the improvements they'd made with the Edge. So compared with the results you found above with a generic part, maybe he was even telling the truth LOL.

6e0cf1de.jpg

Edited by Scorpio

thanks for the replys.

the guy that does the installs for the dealer is going to his warehouse tomorrow, and will look at a windshield for the edge to see if it indeed says soundscreen on it, but as far as he knows it should say soundscreen.

all the part numbers safelite is giving me match, it is just missing the logo etched onto the windshield itself.

I might just call back tomorrow and ask saflite to find me one that says soundscreen.

this is annoying....

The 2011 Edge uses a different windshield than the 2012 Edge. There is a definite difference in the amount of sound which passes through the windshield. The 2012 Edge is much closer to the sound levels of a 2011 or 2012 MKX than the 2011 Edge. I noticed this soon after taking delivery of my 2012 model after test driving a 2011 model months earlier. It is likely your windshield was swapped out for one equivalent to a windshield matching the 2011 specifications rather than the 2012.

thanks for the help guys (gals?)

It is pretty obvious safelite is either lying to me or they just don't realize what I mean when I say i have the wrong windshield.

My replacement should say Soundscreen and it doesn't, and it does not say acoustic anywhere. and the BA letter/number combo on my replacement says AA (not sure if that means anything or not)

I also noticed quite a bit of frost/ice buildup on the inside of the windshield tonight, that I could scrape off with my fingernail which tells me there is a leak and it is not installed properly.

I called my credit card company and disputed the charge, and will get it replaced at the dealer body shop. I've had enough with safelite

• 2 weeks later...

The correct FoMoCo piece should indeed say "SoundScreen" - it's at the bottom of the glass on the driver's side (see below).

P.S. the only reason I knew about this at all was prior to buying the car, the salesman had pointed it out as one of the improvements they'd made with the Edge. So compared with the results you found above with a generic part, maybe he was even telling the truth LOL.

I wondered what the "soundscreen" meant on the windshield. I thought maybe it had to with the little material shield that pops up with the sunroof.

Can you elaborate a little more about what your sales guy said?

That was the reason I bought the 2012 Edge as it's so quiet on the freeway. I'd rented one (on accident, was supposed to be a Fusion, but they were out) and fell in love with how there was no road noise. I really didn't know cars could be so quiet.

I wondered what the "soundscreen" meant on the windshield. I thought maybe it had to with the little material shield that pops up with the sunroof.

Can you elaborate a little more about what your sales guy said?

That was the reason I bought the 2012 Edge as it's so quiet on the freeway. I'd rented one (on accident, was supposed to be a Fusion, but they were out) and fell in love with how there was no road noise. I really didn't know cars could be so quiet.

In my initial tests of the Edge I first had a 2011 Sport out for a test drive, then a 2012 Limited - there was a very very noticeable difference in interior sound level between the two, with the '12 Limited being much quieter. I'd chalked it up to the different engine/tires on the Sport, but when I mentioned it in passing to the salesman he said Ford had made a running change (he wasn't sure if it was beginning with late 2011 model year builds, or at the beginning of the 2012's) on the Limited's to include the same level of sound insulation as the Lincoln MKX. Whatever the full story is, I agree that the sheer quietness of the newer Limited's interior at highway speed is dramatic, and one of the main reason's I went with it over that earlier Sport model.

Edited by Scorpio

for those of you that care....

Dealer did some research for me: Older stock (for the edge) windshields sometimes do not say Soundscreen, newer ones do.

They ordered in two windshields to see what they would say. Both same part numbers, one said soundscreen the other one did not.

Ended up going back to safelite, as they had one come in stock that said soundscreen and was going to put it in under "warranty"

So they put it in, and it is MUCH quieter, but he is guessing it is from the leaks they found from the other install.

ALTHOUGH...this windshield they put in has a small flaw of a black piece of dirt in between the two panes of glass....right in my field of view.

They are putting in yet another one on monday...that says soundscreen at least and hopefully no flaw.