1st oil change and found TRANS LEAKING?!?!?!?!

amandashook

:rant: Ok, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad right now!! I have 3200 miles and went to get my oil changed for the first time at Express Oil Change. I used to work there and know the guys so I trust them. The guy in the pit asked how many miles was on my vehicle and I told him. He told me I needed to come down and take a look. There is trans fluid leaking around seal at center motor mount and trans?!?!?!?! We checked fluid level and it was ok, THANK GOODNESS!!! I immediately got on the phone to the dealership and raisied hell. They will be getting me in on Thurs morning and getting me a replacement car till it is checked out. I do plan on showing them exactly where it is leaking so I wont get the "we couldnt find anything" run around. I absolutely have loved my Edge so far and I will not let this ruin it. I am hoping it turns out to be a fluke, but who knows, right? Anyone else having any issues or hearing of any? :censored:

wow there kiddy, dont raise hell at the dealership! They didnt do anything to wrong you, yet. Cars have issues, thats why there are warranties. Take a chill pill and wait to see if its an actual problem like a broken seal or if it was just overfilled and spilled over the vent? (or something like that) hole.

-Dan

Well, I made it to my appt and guess what.... they didnt get to it today. They will look at it first thing in the morning though. so I will keep yall posted.

And BTW, im not pissed at the dealer. I am pissed I paid that much for a *new* car and it having problems this soon. It is uncalled for in my book.

They will get it worked out though and I will once again be a happy Edge owner :rockon:

My wife just came back from the Ford Dealer.

They RnR'd the overflow valve at no cost to us.

She was told of a soon to be Recal on this.

There is a TSB covering this issue with the AWD case. The design of the case was changed to help avoid overfilling (dropped the height of the filll plug.) I doubt very seriously that there will be any kind of Ford recall, notification program, etc. concerning this issue. The unit is filled for life. Once it has "overflowed", the fluid is at the correct level. Rinse and wipe off any oil that came out and the vehicle is good to go.

I think the service writer failed to read the TSB or they would have come to the same conclusion. I also doubt the overflow valve was defective, sounds like it did what it was supposed to do. The Tech may have replaced it just to get paid for his/her time cleaning up the "overflow" oil. If Ford requires return of the "Defective" part, and they find it not to be "defective", the dealership will not be paid on that warranty ticket. If the part is not on the return list, then Ford pays for another unjustified repair.

This is another thread that starts out with all the drama generated by a corner lube guy, etc. and progresses to a service advisor suggesting there will be a massive recall. I point this out, not to suggest anyone on this forum is wrong, because they can only go by what they have been told, but to advise all of us that things are not always what they seem to be. I don't want anyone to fear that there is a problem with their vehicle that will affect it's near term and/or long term performance as it relates to minor overfilling of the case.

There is a TSB covering this issue with the AWD case. The design of the case was changed to help avoid overfilling (dropped the height of the filll plug.) I doubt very seriously that there will be any kind of Ford recall, notification program, etc. concerning this issue. The unit is filled for life. Once it has "overflowed", the fluid is at the correct level. Rinse and wipe off any oil that came out and the vehicle is good to go.

I think the service writer failed to read the TSB or they would have come to the same conclusion. I also doubt the overflow valve was defective, sounds like it did what it was supposed to do. The Tech may have replaced it just to get paid for his/her time cleaning up the "overflow" oil. If Ford requires return of the "Defective" part, and they find it not to be "defective", the dealership will not be paid on that warranty ticket. If the part is not on the return list, then Ford pays for another unjustified repair.

This is another thread that starts out with all the drama generated by a corner lube guy, etc. and progresses to a service advisor suggesting there will be a massive recall. I point this out, not to suggest anyone on this forum is wrong, because they can only go by what they have been told, but to advise all of us that things are not always what they seem to be. I don't want anyone to fear that there is a problem with their vehicle that will affect it's near term and/or long term performance as it relates to minor overfilling of the case.

Nice post!

What did I say? It was nothing more than a little spillage, nothing serious at all and boy did it get out of hand before a real answer was given.

-Dan

My Edge had its first oil change today - I asked the service guy if had seen any tranny issues - he said no... and I mentioned the overflow valve on the tranny - at that some had experienced some leaks -

But no such cases at this dealership nor did hear anything in terms of TSB.

So.. unfortunate for those who have it - a word of wisdom for the rest of us who might see it.

Gratefully - its a warranty thing and it seems to happen early in the drive history -

I did not try to copy the TSB as it simply showed the location of the fill plug on the AWD models. It said some early units may have been inadvertantly overfilled (at the factory, dealership, lube shop, etc.) The condition is self correcting (excess fluid will leak out of the overflow.) It is not a warrantable condition.

Oasis is generally Vin specific and would not necessarly show up if you hae a later unit or do not have AWD - so a service advisor might not see anything to tell you about.

SO - if someone tells you your AWD unit is leaking, ask then to spray it with cleaner and wipe it off. Good to GO!

Good info.

Note: Oil on my driveway is why I changed from Chevy to Ford in the 80's.

It is a big deal to me.

As long as it did not cost me, the dealer was nice about it, and the vehicle will operate correctly for its normal life than I'm ok.

BUT if this is a life limiter, we got trouble.

Good info.

Note: Oil on my driveway is why I changed from Chevy to Ford in the 80's.

It is a big deal to me.

As long as it did not cost me, the dealer was nice about it, and the vehicle will operate correctly for its normal life than I'm ok.

BUT if this is a life limiter, we got trouble.

HA, your lucky....

I found out the oil on my driveway, wasn't coming from any vechile 'I' owned. I keep seeing the puddle getting bigger, and Bigger, and BIGGER every day. And it wasn't even in the spot where I parked my vehicle. Then one day, I touched it and it was HOT. I went into the house, called out to the wife "WILMAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

She replies, "Yes, Fred?" oh,, uh,, sorry,, ahh forget it..... we don't have any milkmen, where I live anymore.. wonder if it is the rural route mailman, or Schwann's man.. Hey, i'm getting fed and better leave it at that......

HA, your lucky....

I found out the oil on my driveway, wasn't coming from any vechile 'I' owned. I keep seeing the puddle getting bigger, and Bigger, and BIGGER every day. And it wasn't even in the spot where I parked my vehicle. Then one day, I touched it and it was HOT. I went into the house, called out to the wife "WILMAAAAAAAAA!!!!!"

She replies, "Yes, Fred?" oh,, uh,, sorry,, ahh forget it..... we don't have any milkmen, where I live anymore.. wonder if it is the rural route mailman, or Schwann's man.. Hey, i'm getting fed and better leave it at that......

... you mean I should worry about the strange boots under my bed? OIL! Geeezz....

Jsut thought I would post as it may be helpful.

My brother-in law has an Edge SEL and the passenger wise transaxle seal started leaking after 300kms. AFter the dealer screwed up a few times it was determined that the seal was install BACKWARD from the factory.

Although I have know way of knowing for sure, that's what he was told. It was leaking from where the passenger wise axle shaft exits the trans axle.

Thanks