PCM Failure on 2011 Ford Edge?

DidiW2

I just took my 2011 Ford Edge in for State Inspection and it failed! The vehicle has less than 22,000 miles on it. The service technician said he could not pull codes from the vehicle and, therefore, could not pass it. The Emissions Test Results shows "Not Ready" on the Fuel System, Catalyst, Evap, O2, O2 HTR and EGR System sensors. He asked me if I had a battery failure or any other issues. I have not. He told me to drive the vehicle about 50 miles 3 separate times and come back to see if the system resest itself. Anyone else encounter this problem? Could this be a bad PCM? I have not had any issues with the vehicle and absolutely love it - until now.

I just took my 2011 Ford Edge in for State Inspection and it failed! The vehicle has less than 22,000 miles on it. The service technician said he could not pull codes from the vehicle and, therefore, could not pass it. The Emissions Test Results shows "Not Ready" on the Fuel System, Catalyst, Evap, O2, O2 HTR and EGR System sensors. He asked me if I had a battery failure or any other issues. I have not. He told me to drive the vehicle about 50 miles 3 separate times and come back to see if the system resest itself. Anyone else encounter this problem? Could this be a bad PCM? I have not had any issues with the vehicle and absolutely love it - until now.

There is a procedure to follow after losing power before the system will report that it's ready for emissions reporting but that usually only happens after a dead battery or battery replacement. If it still doesn't work take it back to the dealer.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get your vehicle to be "ready." I am having the same issue right now. I've driven it now for 2 weeks. And got the emission test done 3 times. Each time the result is "rejected". I printed off specific drive cycle instructions that I'm going to try this weekend but I'm looking for any advice. Thanks

Edited by Swatman27

I was thinking maybe a new battery would be a thought. But I've never had any problems even this past winter when it was -40 and -50. The edge fired right up so I assumed the battery was still solid. But other than that I've not done anything else to the car.

And I wonder how I can check if that recall relates to mine. I do have a 2011. It doesn't show up in the ford owners site for my vin.

Edited by Swatman27

Ok I put my vin into the ford owner site to search for recalls. I was hopeful this might be the issue but there were no recalls for my vin.

I printed out the ford specific guidelines for driving cycles and I am going to try that this weekend. If I can't get the sensors "ready" I'm taking it to the dealership Tuesday. But they charge $100 diagnostic fee. I am hoping to avoid this.

Edited by Swatman27

I just got back from completing the drive cycles. I went out on a quiet highway and put on my flashers. I followed the list to a "T"

This is the list I followed......

HEGO 5. Cruise at 64 Km/h (40 MPH) for up to 4 minutes. Executes the HEGO monitor.

EVAP 6. Cruise at 72 to 104 Km/h (45 to 65 MPH) for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns and hills) Note, to initiate the monitor: TP MODE

Catalyst 7. Drive in stop and go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 40 to 72 Km/h (25 to 45 MPH) over a 10 minute period. Executes the Catalyst Monitor.

EGR. 8. From a stop, accelerate to 72 Km/h (45 MPH) at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times. Executes the EGR Monitor.

SEC 9. Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle with transmission in drive (neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes

11. From a stop, accelerate to 104 Km/h (65 MPH). Decelerate at closed throttle until 64 Km/h (40 MPH) (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times.

I'll see what happens tomorrow

So I went through the whole drive cycle again this morning. I was feeling good. Went to get my emissions tested for the 4th time. REJECTED. The shop said in the 2 years they have been doing emissions they haven't seen a problem like this. I have also taken it to 2 different shops to make sure it wasn't the shops equipment. They felt bad for me so they even hooked up the edge and tested all the electrical and battery and all were GOOD.

The worst part is that I still have all 6 systems "not ready" as I did on my first rejected test. Last option for me now is the dealership. $100 diagnostic fee better figure out the problem. This is frustrating. I know it's not going to fail emission but I can't get it to pass. Now my plate renewal is going to be triple the cost.

I would think you should be covered under the federal emissions warranty? Also, is a Ford dealer allowed to do the test in your state? If you have to pay anyhow to have it done, have a dealer do it. They would then be able to see what is going on. I know the link is for 2013, but I am sure your 2011 has the same coverage.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2013/warranty/emissions-warranty/

Copied from that link

The warranty coverage period for:

• Passenger cars, light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 8,500 pounds GVWR)
    • 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic converter, electronic emission control unit (ECU), transmission control module (TCM), and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module
Edited by ls973800

So I just left the dealership. They told me they found an update for the computer system. They completed the update but my check engine light is still flashing indicating that it is not ready for emissions. So he said to do the drive cycles afain and see what happens. But he was confident the update will take care of the problem. But I'll complete the drive cycles and see if it all clears

Quote from your warranty guide:

During the warranty coverage period, Ford Motor Company warrants
that:
• you will not be charged for diagnosis, repair, replacement, or
adjustment of parts containing an emissions-related defect. Applicable
parts are listed under What is Covered? on pages 20-21.
And yes, the PCM software is included on the "what is covered" list.
  • Like 2

I called ford directly this morning. They seemed to think I shouldn't be charged either. While I was on the phone with ford, the representative then called the dealership directly. The dealership said because they didn't have to do any repairs, they can charge for the diagnosis....but if they would have had to replace a part, then they would not have charged for anything. Which just sounds stupid. I argued with them for a while and they finally agreed to submit the update to Ford. If Ford agrees to pay for it, then I will get a refund. If Ford doesn't agree to pay then I'm just out of luck. This all sounds like the dealership is giving me the run around. Needless to say, I'll be bringing my business elsewhere.

I'll know if I'll get refunded by Tuesday. Will keep you posted.

Edited by Swatman27

Just got a call from the Dealership - they advisded Ford had to review the claim and that is a good sign. He stated it will take another week to hear back from Ford on whether or not I will be getting refuneded.

I guess thats a good thing, but we'll see what happnes in a week.

So it looks like I'm out of luck. The dealer got back to me today. They are denying my refund. They claim that software update they completed is not listed or included in the emission warranty. If a part was needed to be replaced or damaged then the repairs would be covered as well as the diagnostics. However, because it was an update that isn't covered by warranty, they can charge me the diagnostic fee.

I find this very irritating. I find it hard to believe that a software update is something that can be charged for. There is no other way to get the update other than from ford. It's not wear and tear. It's not caused by a consumer problem. It's a software update. I printed and showed the warranty info and emailed it to supervisors to show that it states, "you will not be charged for diagnostic, ............."

Now I'm out $115 for the dealer to hook up and do an update that took 15 minutes. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the warranty info and I really do owe for it but it's frustrating either way.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful info