PCM Failure on 2011 Ford Edge?

DidiW2

Sorry it did not work out, Swatman. I guess the logic is the same as "oh an air filter could affect emissions, but it is a regular maintenance item, we'd have to charge for it". Normally, hardware is warrantied and not software. I HAD hoped that since this has a direct effect on the emissions system, that Ford &/or the dealership would step up.

Unfortunately you have a terrible dealer. Ford is paying the dealer for the software update but the dealership is adding on the diagnostic fee. There was nothing to diagnose so I can see why Ford wouldn't pay for it. But the dealership should not be charging a diagnostics fee in the first place just to reflash the PCM. That's their right but you also have the right to tell them to shove it and find another dealership.

• Like 1

I made one last effort today and contacted the service manager at the dealership again. I told him things that you guys have mentioned in this thread. Maybe I have been a big enough pain in the butt with my persistence that they have now said they are reconsidering. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing but they said they reached back out to Ford about some specifics of the warranty and he said it sounds like Ford is now reconsidering paying for it. He said they will have the final answer by end of Thursday. I'm not sure if they are just jerking me around or not but he now sounded like I will now be getting refunded. We'll see what happened I guess.

Edited by Swatman27

I suggest you carefully read the warranty guide for your car as under the "EMISSIONS WARRANTY COVERAGE" of the Warranty Guide, "What is Covered?" it includes:

Electronic Engine Control Unit (ECU)*

And the footer:

* Includes hardware and emissions related software changes only

post-24673-0-03608400-1398836980_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I suggest you carefully read the warranty guide for your car as under the "EMISSIONS WARRANTY COVERAGE" of the Warranty Guide, "What is Covered?" it includes:

Electronic Engine Control Unit (ECU)*

And the footer:

* Includes hardware and emissions related software changes only

attachicon.gifSoftware.JPG

They're not charging him for the software update. They're charging him a diagnostic fee which the dealership said they wouldn't have charged if they had to replace a part but since it was just a software change they could add their diagnostic fee. Total BS from the dealer. Hopefully they reconsider.

So I just got an email from the dealership this morning. They said that Ford has now accepted the appeal. "Ford will give a one time goodwill adjustment to cover this charge." So Ford is now going to pay the dealership for this diagnostic....which is unfortunate because the dealership is still going to get paid and I don't feel they should have charged in the first place. But either way, I am getting refunded the diagnostic fee today.

A small victory!!

Thanks again for the help and the wealth of information from everyone!

• 3 months later...