Performance Mods That Actually Work?

jaymz

I've tried a SCT X4 programmer and custom tune. Has worked OK. I really thought I'd get better performance out of it. We have a bow tie Malibu with a custom tune and the performance is nothing short of remarkable.

That being said the tune has delivered some performance gains, just not what i would have expected.

• 1 month later...

In my 2010 I installed a K&N cold air intake and noticed the throttle response improved. The engine accelerates with very little delay now. I don't experience the lag when I step on it. It is louder and creates an aggressive "woooof" when accelerating to make a highway pass on a two lane road for example. I'm happy to just increase the throttle response and I feel better that I can pass more quickly on rural two lane highways.

Dont spend $350 for and aftermarket CAI......total waste of money.

Just buy an good aftermarket air filter.

I did the K&N CAI system and have noticed zero difference in performance or gas mileage...... plus its as loud as hell when accelerating !

dont those draw air from under the hood? how is that even cold air??

Pics here:

http://www.knfilters.com/cold_air_intake/ford_edge.aspx

If the frame seals to the hood and body on 3 sides, which this kit seems to do, you do isolate it from the heat of the engine bay. The issue then becomes how fast the metal body of the pipe heats up/retains heat from the engine bay, and how it affects/negates performance on a longer drive.

dont those draw air from under the hood? how is that even cold air??

The effect a performance air intake system has on vehicle’s fuel economy depends largely on the driver of the vehicle. An improvement in fuel economy is very likely if the vehicle is driven in the same manner as before the air intake system was installed. Why this happens and the possible adverse effect of a performance air intake system are both discussed in this guide. The purpose of a vehicle’s air intake system is explained, as is why modifying the stock air intake system with a high-performance aftermarket system makes a difference. A list of popular performance air intake suppliers is provided to help consumers become familiar with the various products on the market.

Improved Efficiency

All of the benefits of improved engine performance also relate to improved efficiency of the engine as well. The more complete burn means it does not require as much fuel to produce the same amount of horsepower. Less wasted fuel means more of the fuel is burned for the purpose of creating combustion, again saving on fuel usage. Engine computer controls are sensitive and sophisticated enough to recognize the changes provided by a performance air intake system; the computer dials down injector spray and adjusts consumption demand. When the driver continues to drive the vehicle in the same manner as before the performance enhancement occurred, the driver is likely to see an increase in their fuel economy.

ok im done now mr "moderator" so before you go calling bullshit on someone maybe you should do some research..and not the kind of research you did before buying that hot air intake.......im sure your good and butt hurt by now so you can go ahead and block me now. you probably couldnt keep up with all the usefull things i post anyway

• Like 1

Welp, it could be the difference between an older, "non-performance" filter (somewhat dirty) and a new, clean, "high-performance" filter. Time will tell! Keep track of the mpg's, fit, let's see where this goes :)

EDIT: TBH, as akirby has pointed out, it's not the airflow itself. But, to add, what I believe is how it changes the characteristics of the A/F mix inside the engine. Remember those TV commercials that put a magnetic device on the fuel line to make the fuel more homogenous in character? Same idea. So if more airflow or better airflow creates better atomized and controlled A/F mixes, I could see more fuel efficiency, easily.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

my edge is now 6 yrs old,it has 48,000 miles i purchased it almost two years ago,it had 1 owner before me and low milage.the air filter was original and didnt look in bad condition.i do all work to my edge myself,the only time someone else will work on it is when a diagnostic tool is needed that makes absolutely no sense for me to purchase. i looked at the "cold air intake" I researched its function and how it fit in the engine compartment...my conclusion was that for the money and what i read and viewed i dont believe that there is a good seal between the box and the engine compartment...does it look cool? yea. but it is strictly my opinion that it doesnt achieve the function of a true "cold air intake system" which i believe if there was a true sealed compartment only drawing air from outside and air from the front of the vehicle that would honestly be a true cold air intake system. but to state that i am out of this world crazy because my data that is displayed from the computer in my car says that from the time before i installed the k&N my in city mpg was 18.2 and ill add that this number wa consistent for about two weeks since i reset data.and after installing just the air filter and re alligning the intake tube and making it fit more snug to its counterpart my mpg after one week is now at 21.i drive my edge approx 45-65 miles a week as i have a company vehicle for work. my edge is driven the same route each day approx5 miles round trip to the gym and back 6 nights a week and to the grocery store and maybe a restaurant near me..so it just pisses me off thaqt someone straight out call me a liar when they obviously have zero information or knowledge about what they are talking about..especially from someone who admitted they lacked research knowledge in a mod purchase for thier own vehicle.so in conclusion...i dont find it hard to believe AT ALL that i gained this amount of fuel economyas i have seen others with the same gains

and i do remember the device ..i believe it was called the cyclone or something? it s purpose was to help atomize the air fuel mixture making it more efficient to burn as energy thus using less fuel to accomplish the same task as before it was installed

The cyclone was on the intake/throttle body side. Sort of along the idea that Ford had with their High Swirl Combustion engines, just nowhere as good.

What I am referring to is/was a greenish tall cylindrical thingy that clamped onto a fuel line close to the engine. You could even get it from jcwhitney at one time! Similar to what this device (for sale on EBay) claims to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Saver-Gas-Savings-Technology-Line-Magnetic-Module-/171143368000

I don't think I have seen any studies on the characteristics of airflow passing through automotive air filters (pre & post). Mfr's will quote CFMs, but they are mum on the quality of the airflow coming out of their filters. That might be a worthwhile research topic.

• Like 1

If you could really gain 3mpg by just using a different filter, don't you think it would come from the factory that way? I mean Ford spends around $2000 extra on every F150 to make it out of aluminum and that gained about 2mpg.

If you really believe your data then it would be easy to just throw the original filter back and and confirm that the mpg drops back to 18.

• Like 1

First - you need to calm down and knock off the personal attacks. I never called you a liar or implied that your mileage did not go up by 3 mpg. But it most certainly was not due to the air filter. Why don't you try swapping the old filter back in and see if it goes back down? There are dozens of factors at play here.

Go to K&N's website and look for any empirical test results showing before and after fuel economy. There are hundreds of dyno graphs showing hp improvements. Why no MPG graphs?

Waldo nailed it. If Ford could improve their city mpg by 3 mpg (or even 1 or 2) just by spending $35 per vehicle and using a different air filter, don't you think they'd be doing it already?

If you don't believe us, them maybe you'll believe fueleconomy.gov and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

The goal of this study was to explore the effects of a clogged air filter on the fuel economy of vehicles operating over prescribed test cycles. Three newer vehicles (a 2007 Buick Lucerne, a 2006 Dodge Charger, and a 2003 Toyota Camry) and an older carbureted vehicle were tested.

Results show that clogging the air filter has no significant effect on the fuel economy of the newer vehicles (all fuel injected with closed-loop control and one equipped with MDS). The engine control systems were able to maintain the desired AFR regardless of intake restrictions, and therefore fuel consumption was not increased.

Or this guy: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/air-filter-part-2.htm

Or K&N:

1. How will a K&N filter affect my vehicle's fuel economy?

K&N does not make any claims or advertisements regarding fuel economy.

And BTW - the air filter on carbureted vehicles can have a big effect on mpg because there is no adjustment to compensate for the change in airflow.

But the reason it doesn't matter on modern vehicles is that it's a closed loop system - it measures the efficiency of the combustion and adjusts the fuel to provide the proper A/F ratio regardless of how much air is coming in through the filter.

One guy even put a cloth diaper over his air filter and tested it. He had almost no power but his mpg actually went up slightly.

Everybody's personal experience is just that - personal experience. We don't know why mpg went up in this case, but if we can track it scientifically (since fit's driving habits are "regular") and systematically, we can explore it further.

I don't think there's any harm in trying out a $50 part for a $40,000 (new) vehicle. If it works great, if not, it was worth a try :)

EDIT: As far as what Ford does or doesn't do, ask they why there's no recall on the PTU and door latch issues. It's one big mystery to me!

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

man i can go online and find data supporting my side all day too and the k&N statement can be usewd both ways.of course they are not going to claim a gain in mpg!!! ..all i know is the factory mpg for my vehicle was around 20 combined...the last reading for my fuel economy was 18.2 and for one week after replacing air filter and realligning intake tube and adding material to snug connection...THIS IS ALL I DID !! my fuel economy in my vehichjle on the display now is at 21. so thats fine you want to say its wrong and there is no way..well waldo does your factory fuel economy stay the same throughout its whole life? you talk about why wouldnt ford do it?they spend so much money on research and how everything theyt do from the factory is the absolute best it can be or Ford would have made iot better??? what about that POS vista roof or one of the so many many other things that are NOT as good as they could be? my factory mpg combined is 20mpg so i gained 1 mpg hows that? akirby i did wash my car and change the lighting color on my gauge cluster...maybe thats what it was? i guess it goes back to your placebo mod..if i believe it it makes it all better. and again. lets just say my fuel economy is BETTER after installing a K&N air filter and leave it at that.