Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Ford Edge ST Forum Here

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Intercooler - Sport

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Xtra

Xtra

Ford Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Great info Special_K   :thumbsup:. I know that it takes time and effort to produce feedback like this and more time to post it for the community . Your effort is mucho appreciated :salute: . Now Mikula where is the info on that Chinese CX Racing IC you like. And I am not talking about MSRP........ crickets. LOL

* Mikula, Just joking around no hard feelings  :) .

Edited by Xtra, 10 May 2018 - 03:43 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and Special_K like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#202 OFFLINE   Nick Halstead

Nick Halstead

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Facebook Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

UP intercooler vs stock intercooler, all data done from 0-100 in like temps 19c vs 21c:

Line color:

Dark red flat: ambient temp

Dark Red: TIP KPA

Blue thin: Vehicle Speed

Blue Thick: Charge temp

UP intercooler:

max temp: 68c

tip pressure max is 256kpa

Stock intercooler:

max temp 68c

Tip pressure max is 210kpa

Comments:

As seen with the logs the stock intercooler heats up with in 8 seconds of going WOT and sustains 68c from 55mph to 100mph, which pulls timing and is extremely hot.  Boost pressure varies greatly from 170kpa to a peak of 210kpa (redline) due to restrictive manner of the intercooler and extremely high temperature.  recovery is slow.

Aftermarket intercooler takes a while to reach 68c and finally reaches it at the end of the log which is over 100mph.  Boost pressure is consistent and is roughly 20%  higher.  recovery is extremely fast.

Final thoughts:  UP Intercooler is well worth the money.

should upload the logs to https://datazap.me/

#203 OFFLINE   Mikula

Mikula

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Great info Special_K   :thumbsup:. I know that it takes time and effort to produce feedback like this and more time to post it for the community . Your effort is mucho appreciated :salute: . Now Mikula where is the info on that Chinese CX Racing IC you like. And I am not talking about MSRP........ crickets. LOL

* Mikula, Just joking around no hard feelings  :) .

GT500 Has the logs for stock vs CXRacing intercooler. It's on one of his threads here. You can bet my cheap ass isn't buying either one until i see some 1/4 mile results from them. 

My favorite is when people run tests on a dyno, and claim "oh it added 20hp". 

It added 20hp with the hood open and fans blowing directly into it. not really surprising. Real world tests are where the benefit vs cost can be better evaluated. Of course, then you have to take into account the surface you're on, and a boat load of weather conditions at the time.

I'm more of a researcher than most consumers. Generally people read something online and take it as gospel. It can confuse some of the people that don't take the time to read the fine print, then wonder why they didn't gain 0.7 seconds in the quarter mile when installing an IC or other upgrades.

I'm just here to help with finding facts, not opinions. apparently, that is under appreciated around here.

#204 OFFLINE   Special_K

Special_K

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 185 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

GT500 Has the logs for stock vs CXRacing intercooler. It's on one of his threads here. You can bet my cheap ass isn't buying either one until i see some 1/4 mile results from them. 

It added 20hp with the hood open and fans blowing directly into it. not really surprising. Real world tests are where the benefit vs cost can be better evaluated. Of course, then you have to take into account the surface you're on, and a boat load of weather conditions at the time.

I'm more of a researcher than most consumers. Generally people read something online and take it as gospel. It can confuse some of the people that don't take the time to read the fine print, then wonder why they didn't gain 0.7 seconds in the quarter mile when installing an IC or other upgrades.

I'm just here to help with finding facts, not opinions. apparently, that is under appreciated around here.

We haven't claimed any hp gains, just cold hard data numbers and graphs. Dyno should be Monday if we can get our revisions with unleashed complete. Our next test and tune is coming up in 2 weeks I think. We will of course post our results when we get back from both occasions.

We are all here to find facts and we have facts now for this particular thread. Until a product is installed and tested it's nothing but hypotheticals and opinions. But as soon as I was able to put together cold hard facts I did and posted it asap.

Your overall intentions are welcomed Mikula,what's not appreciated is the attitude/brash/tactless way you go about it. And the little digs at me are getting quiet old also.

Edited by Special_K, 11 May 2018 - 04:36 AM.

• Xtra likes this

#205 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,631 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

As I explained privately, this is completely unnecessary. All you needed to say is that dyno numbers are one thing but that may not translate to track performance due to other variables and that you’ll wait for track tests to decide if it’s effective or not. Lose the attitude or find another forum.
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W and Special_K like this

#206 OFFLINE   KLinNBC

KLinNBC

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

I suggest that there are so many uncontrolled variables in a drag strip run that drawing conclusions about engine power from 1/4 mile times is a fools game. Input air temperature is easily measured and subject to only ambient air temp as a variable. A significant reduction in IAT will certainly result in significant benefit including more pressure from the turbos, more timing advance and more power. Incremental improvements for a well-balanced, utility vehicle that provides me with a few grins now and then. This is not a vehicle I bring to the strip or track.

Edited by KLinNBC, 10 May 2018 - 08:39 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W, Xtra and Special_K like this

#207 OFFLINE   mattP

mattP

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Is there any details on any modifications that need to be made to the bumper for the UP intercooler to fit? I'm interested for sure.

#208 OFFLINE   snmjim

snmjim

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

If U do your due diligence by reading from the beginning of this thread all of your questions will B answered & our efforts will not have been N vain...LOL

#209 OFFLINE   mattP

mattP

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

If U do your due diligence by reading from the beginning of this thread all of your questions will B answered & our efforts will not have been N vain...LOL

My adblocker was blocking half the pages for some reason. I turned it off and bam I see all the details on page 9.  Thanks for your input.

• Special_K likes this

#210 OFFLINE   snmjim

snmjim

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

For those of you anxiously awaiting raw data as a result for the install of the Ultimate Performance IC & the Rambo IC Outlet Pipe along with custom Tune refinement on 93 octane the following applies... :hat_tip:

While we're waiting for SpecialK & I to locate an accurate Dyno within reasonable driving distance and schedule track time we'll periodically post Pics of the onboard tune computer/monitor at specific speeds & temperatures.

Note: We still intend to provide the Dyno & track time data analysis in typical SpecialK fashion once we have it, however be patient it's going to be a while... :drop: 

As the weather warms we'll do our best to provide incremental updates.

Pic specifics:

Date: 05/22/2018
Conditions: Highway cruise to work with overcast
Time: 0730
Temp 65 degrees
Speed: Sustained 15 min at 70
Comments: No clue why the Forums App turns the Pic sideways

Date: 05/23/2018
Conditions: Highway cruise from work with clear skies
Time: 1700
Temp 80 degrees
Speed: 70 mph sustained 15 min
Comments: No clue why the Forums App turns the Pic sideways

Attached Files

Edited by snmjim, 24 May 2018 - 10:34 AM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and 037 like this

#211 OFFLINE   Special_K

Special_K

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

For those of you anxiously awaiting raw data as a result for the install of the Ultimate Performance IC & the Rambo IC Outlet Pipe along with custom Tune refinement on 93 octane the following applies... :hat_tip:

While we're waiting for SpecialK & I to locate an accurate Dyno within reasonable driving distance and schedule track time we'll periodically post Pics of the onboard tune computer/monitor at specific speeds & temperatures.

Note: We still intend to provide the Dyno & track time data analysis in typical SpecialK fashion once we have it, however be patient it's going to be a while... :drop: 

As the weather warms we'll do our best to provide incremental updates.

Pic specifics:

Date: 05/22/2018
Conditions: Highway cruise to work with overcast
Time: 0730
Temp 65 degrees
Speed: Sustained 15 min at 70
Comments: No clue why the Forums App turned the Pic sideways

when charge air temps are lower than intake temps....that's a good day right there

• Xtra likes this

#212 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

And this is without methanol!

#213 OFFLINE   Special_K

Special_K