MyFord Touch is turning into a real piece of crap

rogersmj

I'm a tech guy. I *want* to love MyFord Touch, it has so much potential and so many things it's *trying* to do right. But it is buggy as hell and there's virtually no support from Ford!

The latest and most frustrating bug just started happening 2 days ago: it refuses to accept voice commands to make calls. I'll say "call So and So" like I always have, and it says "No phone is connected" even though the LCD screen shows it is connected to my iPhone, and reports signal strength and battery accurately. Also, it will receive calls through MyFord Touch just fine...if I get a call, it comes up on the screen and everything's normal. It just thinks the phone isn't connected when I try to place calls. I have deleted and repaired my phone to no avail. Mind you this is after it worked fine for a month.

It's all the more frustrating because we can't get anywhere with Ford. The dealer basically says, "Huh, it shouldn't be doing that...it's a new system, we don't have a lot of experience with it yet." And despite offering owner forums on SyncMyRide, Ford itself is a black hole of non-responsiveness.

Here's all the other bugs we've experienced:

* Sometimes doesn’t register touches (have to press hard -- too hard)

* Hideously slow in processing touchscreen presses

* When a call comes in, sometimes the previous caller will show up on caller ID until after the current call is answered -- makes caller ID worthless

* Sometimes radio preset buttons become blank

* Directions malfunction (took us in the complete wrong direction and then quit)

* Says things like “bear right on Cincinatti” when it should actually be “bear right on I-74”

* Sometimes connects to the wrong (non-favorite) phone when more than one phone is present

* Sometimes takes a long long time (15+ minutes) to connect to a phone

* Bluetooth audio streaming won't work at all. Shows iPhone in source list, won't actually play anything when selected.

Really starting to lose patience with this. What do you do? Do I demand our whole Sync computer be replaced? Wait it out for the next major update? Why does Ford not have an official way to report such bugs? I'm sure my dealer isn't communicating them accurately all the way to the Sync engineering team.

Edited by rogersmj

I'm a tech guy. I *want* to love MyFord Touch, it has so much potential and so many things it's *trying* to do right. But it is buggy as hell and there's virtually no support from Ford!

The latest and most frustrating bug just started happening 2 days ago: it refuses to accept voice commands to make calls. I'll say "call So and So" like I always have, and it says "No phone is connected" even though the LCD screen shows it is connected to my iPhone, and reports signal strength and battery accurately. Also, it will receive calls through MyFord Touch just fine...if I get a call, it comes up on the screen and everything's normal. It just thinks the phone isn't connected when I try to place calls. I have deleted and repaired my phone to no avail. Mind you this is after it worked fine for a month.

It's all the more frustrating because we can't get anywhere with Ford. The dealer basically says, "Huh, it shouldn't be doing that...it's a new system, we don't have a lot of experience with it yet." And despite offering owner forums on SyncMyRide, Ford itself is a black hole of non-responsiveness.

* When a call comes in, sometimes the previous caller will show up on caller ID until after the current call is answered -- makes caller ID worthless

* Directions malfunction (took us in the complete wrong direction and then quit)

* Says things like “bear right on Cincinatti” when it should actually be “bear right on I-74”

* Sometimes connects to the wrong (non-favorite) phone when more than one phone is present

* Bluetooth audio streaming won't work at all. Shows iPhone in source list, won't actually play anything when selected.

Really starting to lose patience with this. What do you do? Do I demand our whole Sync computer be replaced? Wait it out for the next major update? Why does Ford not have an official way to report such bugs? I'm sure my dealer isn't communicating them accurately all the way to the Sync engineering team.

As much as I hate saying this, I'd much rather have all those bugs then for the MFT to not even turn on. You are lucky because yours atleast turns on, mine doesn't!

Edited by jsabia85

I read an article online a while back that the current software is Flash-based, and Ford should be updating to quicker software that should speed things up for all of us. The article said the hardware is very robust, but updates to the software will speed up things and hopefully solve some of the bugs.

it is connected to my iPhone

Figured out your problem for you. I don't know why Ford just doesn't point out the glaring problems in the IPhone bluetooth stack.

Try upgrading your IPhone to 4.2, there's widespread reports that the bluetooth stack has been somewhat improved.

Edited by oakville_edge

Figured out your problem for you. I don't know why Ford just doesn't point out the glaring problems in the IPhone bluetooth stack.

Try upgrading your IPhone to 2.2, there's widespread reports that the bluetooth stack has been somewhat improved.

Did you mean version 4.2?

While I wait for Ford to do something (anything) about this bug infested mess, I've made it something of a sport at finding new bugs. So here's a new one I haven't seen anyone mention before: I have a contact with 2 phone numbers, one for home, one for mobile and they are correctly identified as such in the Sync phonebook. Add each of these numbers to the quick dial list. Both of them show up under the same name and the same mobile symbol. So you have absolutely no idea which number it is you have dialed. Yes, it's a minor bug that could be remedied by adding 2 separate contacts but there's no reason why this kind of stuff shouldn't have been found in testing or quickly fixed with an update.

I second that...I am supposed to get mine this week too.

It's fine.. I'm sure you will love it. Look, I'm a tech guy as well, so I know all too well the pitfalls of early adoption. I have a 2011 Limited AWD and all I can say is this car is bad ass. It is very, VERY nice inside and it drives great. I admit that the display is a little hard to press and I'd like it to be more responsive but there are no cars that have this tech. Bluetooth (for me) works 95% of the time. It's pretty amazing really. I hope and expect updates will improve the myford touch and meanwhile I'm gonna enjoy the hell outta this car--it's pretty rediculous honestly.

-TK

ditto what tknice said

my Limited Edge's interior is nicer than my friend's 2011 BMW X5, and my Edge drives beautifully.

97% of my MyFord Touch works - with the only problem being it is slow for a minute after startup - probably still loading everything.

And, no other car has this kind of technology. Bonus is that the software can and will be updated as new features/improvements come along

Hey! Has anyone been able to go to the SyncMyRide website to check the software version on the recently built Edges?

I wonder if it's the same that we've had since day 1

Mine was built on the 17th of November and I took delivery of it on Saturday (the 20th - I live in the same town it's made).

Here's the Sync details:

Sync VersionSYNC GEN 2

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D546-AG

BT4T-14F496-AG

BT4T-14F497-AG

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AG

Hello All. First, I LOVE MY EDGE! Now, technology. My husband and I are very technologically savvy and have been doing loads of research on the Sync system. Some suggestions follow:

1. Touch slightly below the options that you are aiming for. We have noticed that the system responds instantly if you hit just about on the bottom line of the option. Soft touches are all that are needed.

2. BT audio streaming depends on the software of your cell phone. I have a Droid X and the system recognizes my phone, shows the music playing but I have no audio. We will see what an update will do for that.

3. Phone issues for me have been caller ID. Ford said that will be addressed with an update as will the sluggish nature after start-up and cold weather white screen.

I hope some of this makes you feel slightly better. Even with these minor issues, I still get turned on when I turn on the car!

This is such an awesome thread for me to read as I will be taking delivery of my Edge on Thursday night. LOL :P

Hopefully you will have fewer issues. I must say, although the software bugs in MFT have been madding, we love the vehicle otherwise. It's our first SUV/crossover because we prefer the way cars drive and normally buy those, but it's been fantastic to travel in and is very easy to handle. It looks great and rides great, and most things seem put together very well. If the Sync team can get cracking on some major bug-squashing, it will be awesome.

hello

I have had my Edge about 2 months. For the first time I got a white screen after starting the car remotely. I drove a quarter mile, pulled over and turned off the car, opened the door and closed it. I then restarted it and everything was fine. Went another quarter mile or so and turned off the car to pickup my pizza :). When I started the car it just had a dark screen for a few seconds and then it went into a Sync maintenance cycle. Not exactly sure what it was doing other than me watching the progress bar go across the screen.

All has been fine so far so we shall see

Update on our situation.

So I went to the dealer yesterday morning, and their Sync technician (who seemed to be very knowledgeable and was very helpful) read through my list of issues carefully and said, "Actually, Ford is aware of all these." He then told me that he was in the middle of applying the latest update -- which Ford had actually told him not to try on a customer's car yet, but he was doing it anyway because so many people were complaining -- to another 2011 Edge right then, but was having a few issues. He also said the biggest problem they've faced so far getting these major updates into the system is having the right cable -- a female mini-USB cable -- and that Ford had to go have them specially produced (what, it didn't occur to Ford to get that done before they started selling these cars?). He all but outright told me that MyFord Touch was rushed into production way too fast to meet the 2011 Edge build start date.

LOOOONG story short (I was at the dealership for a total of 4 hours; he spent maybe 2.5-3 actually working on my car after he finished the other Edge), he reloaded the software on our Edge several times but it is showing a Lincoln logo at startup instead of a Ford logo. He was actually chatting with Ford engineers in Dearborn on his laptop while working on this, and showed me some of what they said. He said the "real" release coming out soon will certainly address the logo issue. I told him I could live with that for the time being. He said my VIN is now registered as a "special case" with Ford engineering so I'll be actively contacted when there is a new core software to be loaded.

I've only driven the Edge home from the dealership (about 5 minutes) so I haven't tested all our issues against the newer software yet, but we have a big trip today so I'll be able to report more soon. Things I have noticed:

- I can make phone calls with voice command again. Yay!

- Everything seems to respond a *little bit* faster. It's still not where I would want it, but it's not quite as sluggish anymore either.

- All of our settings got wiped. Radio presets, gauge settings, everything. Except for average fuel economy.

- At first I thought there was a *new* bug because I couldn't set the clock. It took 5-6 tries of going to the Clock screen, setting the time, and then navigating away only to have it switch back to whatever time it had been on before. Finally it stuck.

As part compensation for my trouble, the dealership gave me a cargo liner that I had eyed on an Edge on the lot and mentioned I would like. I have to say, I'm the last person to normally say good things about dealers, but Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, IN and my sales guy James H. in particular have been amazing. Always responsive to my emails, and always greets me when I'm in and helps follow up on everything, he doesn't just toss me over to service now that the sale is over.

Let's hope the final, "real" build of this software is out soon and addresses all the other issues. I'll report back with any updates.

Great!

Can you share what version it is?

BT4T-14D544-BD SYNC GEN 2 BT4T-14D544-BD CI 11/16/2010

BT4T-14D544-BD SYNC GEN 2 BT4T-14D544-BD CI 11/16/2010

Shows on the update screen.

Also on the confirmed installs:

BT4T-14D546-AG

BT4T-14F496-AG

BT4T-14F497-AG

SYNC compatible software

BT4T-14F603-AG

Dunno if this is the new version or some kind of interim version.

Update on our situation.

So I went to the dealer yesterday morning, and their Sync technician (who seemed to be very knowledgeable and was very helpful) read through my list of issues carefully and said, "Actually, Ford is aware of all these." He then told me that he was in the middle of applying the latest update -- which Ford had actually told him not to try on a customer's car yet, but he was doing it anyway because so many people were complaining -- to another 2011 Edge right then, but was having a few issues. He also said the biggest problem they've faced so far getting these major updates into the system is having the right cable -- a female mini-USB cable -- and that Ford had to go have them specially produced (what, it didn't occur to Ford to get that done before they started selling these cars?). He all but outright told me that MyFord Touch was rushed into production way too fast to meet the 2011 Edge build start date.

LOOOONG story short (I was at the dealership for a total of 4 hours; he spent maybe 2.5-3 actually working on my car after he finished the other Edge), he reloaded the software on our Edge several times but it is showing a Lincoln logo at startup instead of a Ford logo. He was actually chatting with Ford engineers in Dearborn on his laptop while working on this, and showed me some of what they said. He said the "real" release coming out soon will certainly address the logo issue. I told him I could live with that for the time being. He said my VIN is now registered as a "special case" with Ford engineering so I'll be actively contacted when there is a new core software to be loaded.

I've only driven the Edge home from the dealership (about 5 minutes) so I haven't tested all our issues against the newer software yet, but we have a big trip today so I'll be able to report more soon. Things I have noticed:

- I can make phone calls with voice command again. Yay!

- Everything seems to respond a *little bit* faster. It's still not where I would want it, but it's not quite as sluggish anymore either.

- All of our settings got wiped. Radio presets, gauge settings, everything. Except for average fuel economy.

- At first I thought there was a *new* bug because I couldn't set the clock. It took 5-6 tries of going to the Clock screen, setting the time, and then navigating away only to have it switch back to whatever time it had been on before. Finally it stuck.

As part compensation for my trouble, the dealership gave me a cargo liner that I had eyed on an Edge on the lot and mentioned I would like. I have to say, I'm the last person to normally say good things about dealers, but Don Hinds Ford in Fishers, IN and my sales guy James H. in particular have been amazing. Always responsive to my emails, and always greets me when I'm in and helps follow up on everything, he doesn't just toss me over to service now that the sale is over.

Let's hope the final, "real" build of this software is out soon and addresses all the other issues. I'll report back with any updates.

Thanks for the info. I'll be interested to see your future updates.