New Grille Solution!

I only did the top chrome strip and above the headlights. Mine's a Sport, so it already had the black grille. If you're good with vinyl and don't have to redo a bunch of pieces, I'd guess that 3x5 would work fine, but measuring is up to you for your situation.

Thanks. I realized after I posted that it looked like you had the Sport and would have only done the top piece. Still, it looks really good. I think I'm going to try this route rather than the plasti-dip route. This one looks a little quicker and easier to fix mistakes.

Grilles sure are a popular topic. There are many great ideas being shared and that is much appreciated. I plan on fabricating a wire mesh grille with no emblem. I feel this would be the crowning achievement for a Ford Edge Sport. There are no aftermarket mesh grilles available so I will fabricate a suitable replacement for the factory part. I do not anticipate this being a major undertaking so I will be sure to post many photos and a detailed how-to.

• Like 1

so Ford talked to me dealer and they called me and said they can take my car in for a day take the grille off and get it painted tuxedo black, otherwise the only other option is getting another grille from ford that will only be primed in which they still have to paint.

they said the only downside to this is that since the paint wouldn't be baked like a factory paint job that the paint wouldn't be as hard and would be more susceptible to rock chips than the factory paint. what should i do? i can't see it being anymore prone but what's anyone else's take?

so Ford talked to me dealer and they called me and said they can take my car in for a day take the grille off and get it painted tuxedo black, otherwise the only other option is getting another grille from ford that will only be primed in which they still have to paint.

they said the only downside to this is that since the paint wouldn't be baked like a factory paint job that the paint wouldn't be as hard and would be more susceptible to rock chips than the factory paint. what should i do? i can't see it being anymore prone but what's anyone else's take?

The paint would indeed be softer, but not tremendously so. It's all a matter of what you want. As I said, you could just wrap the whole thing, and then your grille would essentially be wearing a condom. That being said, if it were mine, I'd have it painted. Not matching irritates me.

Okay, y'all have some patience with me. The car is still a little dirty. It didn't come out completely perfectly, but I think it's close enough that It'll work until I can move a little better from my surgery.

DSC_6135.jpg

DSC_6136.jpg

DSC_6137.jpg

I loved the way the black looks on yours, so I went to a local body shop and he has a guy that will strip the chrome off and he will repaint it to match the grill.

• Like 2

My wrap from Scotch just arrived today and I installed it on the entire front grill in 2 hours. It was a slow process but came out great! It has its imperfections but you won't be able to see them unless you are up on the grill for a close inspection. What do you guys think? Ill be the only '11 Metallic Earth Edge Limited in Germany with a blacked out grill for sure!

A HUGE thanks goes out to DINGO for recommending this product! Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think!

1-3.png

2-3.png

3-3.png

Wow that looks amazing, gotta say I think it really blends well with the color of your edge especially in the 1st picture where you can see the metallic in the wrap and from your paint. Great Job!

Thanks a lot! I think it totally transforms the look of her.

Thanks a lot KC. Your right about the DRLs, they will look quite stunning when I get them in. I would say that the chrome strip you have left on your grill is the easiest to put on. That is a one man job. The lower, bigger, portions of the grill definitely took two people to accomplish. Each piece had its own challenge associated with it, but it was a fun project.

Dingo launched the link at me earlier in the thread. Here it is again for those that missed it:

http://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-1080-Scotchprint-Gloss-Black-Metallic-Vinyl-p/gloss1080g212.htm

ok I tried to do one section this weekend and was having a little trouble getting it in the creases so i figured taking it apart would be a lot easier.

Two important things to know with this stuff: it will stretch almost infinitely, and if it's overstretched, use a heat gun and it will contract back flat..

Two important things to know with this stuff: it will stretch almost infinitely, and if it's overstretched, use a heat gun and it will contract back flat..

yeah I noticed that when I was heating it, but got worried with to much as I didn't want to melt it. I have plenty so it was good practice. I'll try again soon.

for those wanting to do this, I highly recommend taking the bumper off. It takes roughly 5 minutes and makes it possible to get all the chrome wrapped right. you have to pull the headlights out a bit to access the 3 torx screw to get the pieces off above them.

wrapping it becomes so much easier this way cause you don't have to worry about pushing the vinyl in to small seams or scratching things while cutting it.

• Like 1