New Grille Solution!

• 3 months later...

I have used both the wrap and and Plasti-dip. I used the wrap first, didn't really know the best way to apply it. So we just laid it on without using a hairdryer. We bought enough and got everything covered, but it was super pretty when you got up close to it. I didn't push the wrap into the indentions in the middle of the grill inserts. So when I drove bugs would hit it and split the wrap. In the end, I had a ton of holidays with silver showing through. I made the decision to take it off and Plasti-dip it.

Ā 

When I took the wrap off, it was a tough ordeal. It took about 40 mins or so to get the wrap off and it broke off in pieces. I will say this, no way the wrap is coming off on its own. When its on, its stays on. After we got it off, there was a ton of residue from the glue left on the inserts. Lots of scrubbing got that off.

Ā 

Then I dipped my grill, including my Ford emblem, chrome stripe above the headlights, and my wheels. It turned out really good and I am super happy with the finish. No cut or fold lines and an even finish. I put 4 coats on so it's nice and strong. I have put the car through the carwash and it has upheld like a champ. It has been great protection during this winter and on the Autobahn.

Ā 

I would absolutely recommend Plasti-dip over the wrap for three main reasons.

Ā 

1) Application of Plasti-dip will be much easier than the wrap.

Ā 

2) Removal of Plasti-dip is super easy, just peel it off. As long as your application is thick enough, it will come off smoothly. If your application is too thin, thats where it can get a little more difficult to get off.

Ā 

3) Price. State-side, your looking at $~5-8 a can (obviously price will vary depending on where and when you buy). To Dip all your grill and wheels you will need between 5-7 cans to get about 4 coats on. Keep in mind that I plan to have more cans than I actually need.

Ā 

This is my opinion but I hope this helps your decision.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention. If you are running a Sport, then it would probably be best for you to use the wrap. Your black grill is already black gloss or metallic gloss, so a glossy finish from the wrap would probably look better. Applying the wrap to the top chrome strip is probably the easiest part of the instillation. You could also buy black Plasti-dip and then finish it off with Gloss Plasti-dip. They have that out there to give Plasti-dip a glossy finish.

• Like 1

Thanks Cellbine. No worries on the Sport thing I'm working with a SE with the stock black mat finish door handles and lower skirt and keyless entry on the silver paint so not looking for anything shiny, cant decide what I'd like to do with the chrome grill. I'll play with photo shop and see if I like the look. Thanks again for your info.

Ā 

Cruiser

Will be doing this as soon as I can on my '13 SEL, just the top chrome as I have a white grille from the appearance package. I have gloss black wheels so plastidip won't match right - so vinyl it is!

Ā 

I did a photoshop mockup and it looks good, even though it's just a black line across the white grille, it fits much better than the chrome. Would like to do the outer emblem chrome too

If anyone wrapping it in vinyl is having a hard time laying it down correctly, just let me know which areas they are. I wrap cars and can post a video or two on here on how to wrap certain areas of our car. For the grille area, some of you might have a hard time laying down vinyl in the valleys(grooves) of the grill, as well the corners. If there's enough people that need help with it, I'll post a short vid. Just let me know in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Will be doing this as soon as I can on my '13 SEL, just the top chrome as I have a white grille from the appearance package. I have gloss black wheels so plastidip won't match right - so vinyl it is!

Ā 

I did a photoshop mockup and it looks good, even though it's just a black line across the white grille, it fits much better than the chrome. Would like to do the outer emblem chrome too

Ā 

Finally got around to doing this now, used 3M Gloss Black to match the wheels. Went well until I got to the corners and then the round end pieces...! Will redo once I see how it lasts. More pics when I have time to take them, but I like it so far, only did the top chrome as its the Appearance Package body color grille

Ā 

med_gallery_22276_515_1045321.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

You can also see my home made bumper plugs, using raw plugs, screws and plastic screw covers, cheap and effective!

Edited by BeDevil79

Looks great! Did ya think about going with white vinyl?

Thanks fishx65, I'm glad I used the vinyl and not the Plasti-dip. I only wanted black - there's already a bit too much white on the front so black helps break it up and match the rest of the car which is all black and white; not quite storm trooped but getting there!