Replacing stock subwoofer

Anybody replace the stock SW with something in the same place the stock one fits into? I don't want a box in the back and would like it to look completely stock.

Ā 

There are 2 topics on the first page of this forum dealing with aftermarket subs and probably more if you do a search.

Ok, I should clarify it a little more

Ā 

1) Do not want a Stealthbox

2) already have an aftermarket HU. Currently plugged into the Ford wiring.

Ā 

So I will be adding an amp or 2 and some speakers, but my main concern is a sub that will fit where the stock one is and actually work (again, NOT a Stealthbox).

care to explain heavily?

Ā 

There's a huge dimple in the back of the factory box to enable the factory sub to be backbolted. To fit the other sub, I had to cut it off. I then glued and siliconed an ABS plate over the hole. I followed that with some fiberglass and some dynamat on the back of the box. I then dynamatted the whole inside of the box.

There's a huge dimple in the back of the factory box to enable the factory sub to be backbolted. To fit the other sub, I had to cut it off. I then glued and siliconed an ABS plate over the hole. I followed that with some fiberglass and some dynamat on the back of the box. I then dynamatted the whole inside of the box.

Ā 

interesting! i will definitely keep that in mind a little later this summer. i'm doing the nav upgrade from the factory 6 cd at the end of the month and shortly after that will be replacing the factory door speakers shortly after that, then i'm sure it will be on to the subwoofer. and since its mommas ride, i gotta keep it looking 100% stock. lol.

so what kind of door speakers you running Dingo? from talking to you on here you strike me as the type who wants to maintain a good crisp sound with just a little more depth and punch than provided by factory, which is exactly what i'm looking for.

I have Rockford fosgate component speakers T2 in both the front and back doors. In the front we just changed out the teeters with the stockers in the A-pillar. I put a much higher quality alpine in place of the center channel speaker on the dash. In the rear doors I had the tweeters put up high in the door plastic up above the handle and the 6.5" mid bass went in a bracket in place of the 5x7s in the door. The crossovers are in all four doors as there is plenty of room to mount them in there. We replaced the Sony amp with a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel higher powered amp, I changed out the crap speakers in the rear pillars and put in some apline mid-tweets. You don't have a ton of options for that location. Finally, we made a custom box in the space where the original sub was located and used a low profile pioneer sub on a briged fosgate amp which is located near where the factory Sony amp called home. Even though the sub is only a 10"' with the right amp it moves EVERYTHING in the car if I want it to do so. I can even get a massage while driving! All in all I spent about $1400 but the sound is worth every penny. It's like being at the damn concert! Everything looks stock so pics won't really do any good other than to show where I put the tweeters in the back doors. I doubt anyone cares for a pic of those. ;)

• Like 1

Dingo,

Ā 

What size sub is that BA and and idea what max depth can I go for a sub (using a modified stock box)?

Ā 

The ones you have in the doors, did you replace all 4 doors or just the front 2? I've been contemplating just running 2 speakers and a sub.

It's an 8". You can probably go 4.5" deep or so, if you modify it.

Ā 

I put these in all four doors, these in the center and D-pillars, these in the A-pillars, and this in the sub box.

Edited by Dingo

Ā 

Ā 

See post #2.

Ā 

Where did you buy it and why would you assume it would work?

Ā 

Trust me, you can squeeze a 10" sub back there. I have a rolling stock-looking thumper to prove it. From the outside my setup looks similar to Dingo's factory sub location. It's a squeeze but certainly attainable. People are very impressed by the feel good bass you can get out of the right 10" sub done right with the right amp in our Edges. I had a drive thru checker looking at the cars behind me trying to figure out where the boom was coming from and then she finally asked me, "is that bass coming out of your car?". I just smiled and said, no!

Edited by Cdpratt69
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

i have an 08, so not sure if everything is the same, but i was able too drop in a polk db840dvc, all i had to do was change the locations of the mounting holes by drilling new ones, powered with a rockford fosgate r2501d, which fit behind the dash. had it professionally installed as far as the amps go, did the sub myself

• 2 weeks later...