Sport Grille Emblem/Chrome Surround Blackout [PICS]

I had searched a bunch on the forum to see if anyone had blacked out the front grille emblem and chrome surround but it seemed as if everything I found was either an overlay or plasti-dip. I really wanted the front grille to have a blacked out "stock" appearance so I ended up going to my local Ford dealership and ordering a new chrome surround (part number BT4Z-8200-B) and having them paint it tuxedo black to match the rest of the grille. For the emblem I hit up ebay - there are quite a few sellers that offer the emblem in black (9in by 3.5in).

post-23204-0-12486700-1343963828_thumb.jpg

post-23204-0-60403200-1343963835_thumb.jpg

Installing the emblem onto the surround was a breeze - the seller included two self-threading washers. I took a look at the stock emblem/chrome surround and there was no adhesive between the two, so I stuck with no adhesive on my new parts.

post-23204-0-31669000-1343963857_thumb.jpg

post-23204-0-56712400-1343963871_thumb.jpg

Getting the newly put together emblem/surround only took about 30 minutes. I removed two bolts and 4 plastic screws from the top of the grille - this gave the grille just enough give that I could fit my arm in between the grille and the radiator to pop the stock emblem/surround out from the inside (there are three tabs that hold it in place). With a little muscle the new blacked out emblem/grille popped into place.

post-23204-0-12664500-1343963899_thumb.jpg

Before / After Shots

post-23204-0-24063100-1343963905_thumb.jpg

post-23204-0-43815600-1343963909_thumb.jpg

post-23204-0-58701000-1343963914_thumb.jpg

I figured I would share for anyone that was looking to do something similar. Cheers!

Edited by picturemerollin
  • Like 3

Very nice. How much did the whole thing run? Planning on making the rear emblem match?

Thanks! All in it cost me $145 ($45 for the emblem, $25 for the new chrome surround and $75 to paint the surround).

Definitely doing the back emblem as well - I ordered it the same time I ordered the front emblem. When I get it done I'll post some pics!

You are correct. There is no chrome on the back emblem. I looked about an hour after I posted earlier. I should have come back and posted up that I figured it out. I suppose it is just all one piece back there. What did you think of the billet aluminum emblem pieces for sale on Ebay. If you don't desire the word Ford on there they look like a nice option to me.

I need to get one of those emblems. I wrapped the chrome surround on mine when I did the chrome pieces above the lights and grille and it came out excellent, looks the same as the paint, just need a black emblem to really set it off.

Wrap was the way to go for me, only $22. Just gotta take the front bumper off and what not to do it all if you want it to look real good.

post-21170-0-95706400-1336860767_thumb.jpg

Edited by c_bova

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
picturemerollin,

What color did you paint your grill? It looks like a satin black, clear coated?

I am trying to decide between matte black or something similar to your grill. I am trying to keep the car as classy looking at possible while pimping it out a bit, so I am leaning towards the glossier finish. I have a wife to deal with....:)

• 5 months later...